Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Johnson, Like 90 & 2 cell 3 Inch hover

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Johnson, Like 90 & 2 cell 3 Inch hover

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
blueprints

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Johnson, Like 90 & 2 cell 3 Inch hover

Need some help here. Im flying a FEDA DragonFLy these r some of e parts i hv on my heli,

Like 90 blades
Johnson motor
Stock speed controller
10T Pinion
2cell Kokam 1500
stock tail (await mttb dual tail setup)

I cant see to fly any higher than 3 inches off the ground. Im at full trottle n it juz hangs at that level. Wad could be e problem? could someone suggest on this. Would changing a pinion help? bigger or smaller pinion, how many T? Would hving 3 cell be better, e only thing i worry is dat my speeed controller can't take e voltage. Anyone here using 3 cell on ure stock DF speed controller? Can u guys tell me wad i could do. Anyone knows of where to get kokam 1500 cell? thanx

Jem
Old 04-21-2004, 02:33 PM
briguy27

Default RE: Johnson, Like 90 & 2 cell 3 Inch hover

Try increasing your pinion to 11 or 12 tooth and see what happens.The blades you are using will increase your head speed because othey have less pitch and an increase in pinion size is required generally.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:20 PM
yukonho

Blueprints, You have posted this in 3 or 4 different forums. I have answered this question twice already, please check the other forums you posted in. As always, if you have a problem with our products, the best thing to do is contact us directly, we will do everything we can to help you out.
co
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 AM
GREGF

Intresting name that blueprints

Not someone from a heli factory trying to put down a good product because they did'nt think of it or charge to much for there product.

I looked into these blades and I see it very clearly describes how 3 cell batt pack is required to make these blades work. So I guess its back to the drawing board blue prints
Old 04-22-2004, 01:32 AM
blueprints

Collin,

Im not trying to condem ure like90 blades. The fact is dat ure blades r really givng e knda of performance as described n its proven by many dat ure blades give better control. im not here to say ure product id bad. in fact i agree wit many dat ure product is up to e mark. I posted this question to get a solution for my prob. Its to solve my prob not to give u probs. If i did gave u any probs by posting this thread, i'll be glad to help u resolve.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:16 AM
GREGF

Oops sorry Blue prints. ive just seen what I described happen on other sites. not related to this hobby tho.

Id be keen to here if you get higher than 3 inchs off the ground with 2 cells with those blades. If you can it means I may look at getting a set. As I think I will have to upgrade to seperates and if I go to 3 cells andf I can't afford that at this stage.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 AM
jbalat

Guys I am using a 3 cell li-ion battery 700mah at 10.8v. I am also using the 5 amp fuse and I have blown the fuse on a couple of occasions but not while flying...

So my point is try the same battery I have with the fuse since it is light, provides more power, you do not need to go seperates, and I bet you will be flying in no time.

Note that I am using the standard motor which will not draw more than 5 amps unless stalled...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
yukonho

Hey guys.
I fly my hummingbird with my blades (of course) and 2 cell Kokam 1500's and etech 1200's. I get lively performance for 12-16 minutes depending on which battery I use. You do not need 3s to fly these blades. Of course 3s gives an extra boost, but is not necessary. The Century 370 will not work with like90 blades. It is a weak motor and not even close to worth what Century sells them for. The johnson works great, but you have to consider that at 50 cents, the quality control is not going to be great, and some may have defects.
Check the videos on the like90 website and you will see the kind of performance you can get with 2s.
We will be adding more videos soon as well.
Blueprints. My comments simply meant that I check all the forums to answer questions and join discussions regarding our products. I always recommend that you discuss issues on the forum, but if you want a fast answer to a problem with our products, the best thing to do is contact us through our webpage submission form. It will save you and me the work of typing everything three times and will get you a faster answer.
co
Old 04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
ALLISONMO2
My Feedback: (35)

blueprints,
i have the exact same set-up as you and i love the performance. i couldn't be happier not only cause the perform better than stock but because i am learning faster now that i have some directional control. i have no idea what would be causing the 3" height limit. check things like the motor turning without binding and make sure the main gear isn't hitting the bottom of the chassis. hold the heli by the skids and see how much force you have. that may tell you something.

like 90 rocks!
Old 04-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Tractors4u

Blueprints,

Could you please spell things out correctly instead of trying to type slang? It is worse that trying to read something in ALL CAPS. Things like e = the, juz = just, wad = what. You can write correctly because in some of your posts you slip up and actually type it correctly. [&o]
Old 04-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Jerrykl720

Hi blueprints
I think your copper is too heavy!
U can try to use 7.4v 800mah lipo or upgrade your motor!

Jerry
Old 04-28-2004, 03:59 AM
dalai

I'd check ur cell's if i were you i have 3 2cell li-ion battery 800mah at 11.1v one of them will only charge to 14 or 15 mah, it has slightly expanded in size, not a lot, but look closely and you can see it.
this one will only fly for a couple of minutes and wont hold any altitude, it gives short bursts of power
I had 2 origionally,
i accidentally tried to charge them on auto mode on my pro peak mercury ex
The first has just warped, but holds very little power the second exploded, scared the c**p out of me,

So i dont think you need bigger cells, either your cells are knackered or your helli is just too heavy.

Rgds Dalai
Old 04-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Banished Outside

Dalai,

I think your probably right!
I recently had problems with my Airwolf - it flew ok for a few seconds then the HH gyro seem to just fail?

I measured my 2 cell lipo = 3.7v i.e. one cell gone[:@]

Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 03:48 PM
blueprints

My cells are charged individually charged, shouldn't be a prob. I do check the voltage before and after every flight. picts here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1&page=2&pp=15

Would u guys hv a gd brushless motor to recommend. Hope to go brushless. by e way would it be necessary to go 3cell if i go B/L

Thanx.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:52 PM
dalai

I might give the cd rom brushless idea a go, cheap and apparently top notch...
Old 04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
xorpay

I had one Johnson motor that was bad. I t just would not spin fast enough to get my bird in the air. Changed motors and now it flys great with the like90 blades. Found one of the brushes was not hitting the armature good.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:39 PM
crashparry

One more thing to check.

After installing the motor into my dragonfly. Make sure your gear lash isn't too tight.

Crash