Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

air bubble in etec lipo? dangerous?

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

air bubble in etec lipo? dangerous?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:33 PM
flyingchaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bubble in etec lipo? dangerous?

Hi alll,

My 3 month old 2-cell etec lipo has develop a slight air sack in one of the cells...Just wondering if anyone had the same thing happen.

I had just noticed this today.

The battery was fully charged and had sat on the shelf for about 3 weeks, unused, because I haven't had time to fix my dragonfly heli....OK I haven't had the money.

There is definitely some 'air' in one of the cells. It doesn't bulge out real bad(skin of battery bulges out less than 1/4 inch from the hard material inside), but is noticable by pressing on the cell's aluminum wrap/casing.

I just flew it for about 7-10 minutes. Runs fine and provides great climbing power, as it always had.

Just worried that it's going to explode like the video on helihobby.com [sm=confused.gif]

I bought it from officeshops.com. I'm not blaming anyone or sueing anyone( I don't beleive in the McDonald customer reasoning for sueing) but the person who put together the cell put duct tape over the soldered tabs. Is there a venting hole there at all?

Thanks...
Old 05-27-2004, 04:41 PM
flip3d

Default RE: air bubble in etec lipo? dangerous?

li and air dont mix.
that is what explodes.
so no air leak.
im guessing it got to hot or to cold as it sat.
it should be fine tho.

flip
Old 05-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

The cell is bad!

I just ran into this with a Thunder Power 2100 pack.

Not recommended!!! but I had to see so I disassembled the pack.

I found that the cell was leaking past the Silver barrier and had acid damage in a corner and along the seam.

I posted a photo on R*Groups and someone told me to wrap it well and send it back as they would replace it from the photos I took.
The cell had never been dropped or in a crash, it looked like the shrink wrap had damaged the seams when it was shrunk. 1 month old.

The bad cell had 4.2 volts on it and the other good cell 4.3 volts so they were balanced.

I would not take the chance with it either dispose or send it back.

Another indicator is if you store your cells in safe metal container , a leaking cell has a sweet smell to it when you open the container.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM
flyingchaos

There's probably no leak in the 'bad' cell since it can hold that gas pressure, but i did smell it and it does smell sweet...like gummi bear candy. :-)

I'll try to desolder the bad cell and salvage what's left....

THanks

-Dan