Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

SHOGUN TAIL DANCE? GY401

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

SHOGUN TAIL DANCE? GY401

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
AWDEVO8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHOGUN TAIL DANCE? GY401

I just bought the carbon fiber boom mount for my gy401 and my servo. I was using the stock setup with a hs55. The tail seemed to be relatively stable in a hover. Now, I have the carbon rod with a hs56 servo. I tried to hover and the tail wags like crazy. I dont know if its in HH or what gain I'm using. I am using a JR6102 radio. How do I change the gyro into HH and out of it? How do I change the gain from the TX? How could it work ok with the hs 55 and not well with the hs56? Please help, I just want to fly this little bugger without trying to figure out problems. This is kinda getting old!! Need help, mike
Old 09-24-2004, 12:35 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: SHOGUN TAIL DANCE? GY401

Whenever you make changes like different mount and/or servo's etc. a lot of times, the gain will need to be adjusted to fine tune.

I don't have that radio, is it a heli radio? If so, you probably have a switch and/or gyro gain adjustments.

Anyway, as far as going into hh or non hh, if it's a knob or slider, when you go over the 50% or middle mark, you'll go into hh and below that mark will be non hh mode. The higher you go above the middle mark, the higher the gain in hh, the lower you go below the middle mark is raising the gain in non hh mode.

You know the gyro is in hh mode when the led is constantly on and only goes off when you give stick inputs. If it's not on, your in non hh mode.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:40 PM
AWDEVO8

Hmm... I wish I would have brought my radio to work. Yes, it is a heli radio. I wonder if I flipped one of the switches before I flew it. Thanks for the input, it really helps
Old 09-24-2004, 01:13 PM
astronut30

If it's a heli radio, most likely, your gyro gains would be adjusted the same way as you'd adjust epa's and curves etc. You just have to go into your menu, then to gyro gain and adjust accordingly. If yours also has a gyro switch as well, this switch allows you to be able to switch between two different gains, so you can set it up in hh mode and then switch it to another gain below the middle mark like I was explaining earlier and it'll be in non hh mode, therefore you can switch between hh and non hh. If you don't have a switch for that, you just have to use the gain to switch between the two if you ever wanted or needed to.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Conman
My Feedback: (1)

i'm not for sure about the 401 but on the 240 gyro the headlock switch is just a tiny switch on the top left as you look at the gyro. the instructions say to first adjust the gyro gain then keep adjusting the pushrod so the tail holds steady without any trim used on the transmitter and then turn the headlock on
Old 09-24-2004, 09:55 PM
astronut30

On the gy 401, the gains and HH are controlled by the transmitter. Only Digital servo mode and gyro reversing and Delay are controlled directly on the gyro itself.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:19 AM
AWDEVO8

What exactly does the delay do? By the way, I figured out my problem with the tail wagging!! I having no heli experience, connected the pushrod to the furthest out hole on the servo arm. DOH!!! The poor servo couldnt keep up with the gyro! So, I moved it up to the closest hole of the arm and wa la. Perfectly still tail! I love this heli stuff. So much fun.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 PM
astronut30

The delay is for slower servo's, when the gyro gives a command, if the servo is on the slower side, by the time the servo finishes the command, the gyro is giving the next command to counter etc. resulting in a wag, it would usually happen upon quck stops after a piro or stall turn etc. For the fast servo's, delay is not needed.

...and tail response should be better with the further hole, what exactly do you mean by the servo couldn't keep up with the gyro when it was on the furthest hole?
Old 09-25-2004, 01:32 PM
AWDEVO8

HMM... if it was attached to the furthest hole... its seemed like what you are saying the delay does... you know, for slower servos. the servo couldnt move back fast enough to counter act the other movement... get it? I know i'm probably making this more confusing but I know this, the tail stays straight and this little bugger finally flys well!
Old 09-25-2004, 02:10 PM
astronut30

Actually, it's opposite of what you just said... The servo will make quicker movements on the outside hole. I guess try picturing yourself holding a broom stick in your fist with the stick horizontal and your arm acts as a servo horn if you rotated your arm sideways to move the stock forward 5" vs. if the stock was atatched to your elbow area and you needed to move the stock forward 5", you'd need a lot more movement to move it from your elbow as opposed to your fist.

Hmmm, what is your delay set at?
Old 09-25-2004, 03:49 PM
AWDEVO8

Yes, you are right... I wasnt thinking correctly. What I meant was that with the pushrod attached to the farthest hole on the servo arm... the tail pitch seemed to be getting too much or more than it needed. I have the delay set at 0. My radio doesnt have a gain control. It has to do it on its own somehow I guess? Any suggestions? I'm scared to change anything now though because I just want to fly it.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:51 PM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

On the 6102 you are going to hook the three conductor wire from the gyro to the Gear channel on the JR Receiver. The single wire lead will go to Gear or AUX Channel you want to control the gain with (Use Gear). Set your gain by the Gear Channel Travel Adjustment. If the radio is left at default, the top left switch (not elevator D/R) when pushed away from you, is going to be HH mode and the + (plus) value on the gear travel adjustment will be the gain for that mode. When the switch is pulled to you that will be normal (non HH) mode and the -(negative) value on the gear travel adjustment will be the gain for that mode.

The switch direction may be different with you particular gyro so check it out and make sure its operating in HH mode.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:02 AM
astronut30

Glad to hear that your happy with the tail but it definitely be a good idea on learning how to set your gains etc. eventually, you will need to.

So what kind of symptoms were you having when you had your linkage on the furthest hole? Was it tight wagging? If so, the gain is too high, so you needed to lower it a bit until it stops. If it's a loose wag or sway, then you need to up the gain. Generally, you can test how much delay you need by doing a quick turn and stopping quickly or doing a pirouette and just stopping suddenly, if the tail wags to a stop, then up the delay until it stops.

Well it sounds like you got it working mechanically so you can just fly and enjoy but just learn how to adjust gains on your radio when you have the time and eventually as your flying skills progress, you'll want more response so you move the linkage to the further hole and adjust gains accordingly. RaptorCam gave you some cool info specific to your radio so you should be well on your way to figuring those out.

take care
Old 09-26-2004, 10:57 PM
AWDEVO8

Thanks raptorcam and astronaut. You both have helped me out a lot. I will start playing with the gain and HH switches when I get bored with the way it flys now. One thing though, I'm not using a JR reciever. I'm using the hitec electron 6. I have the gain plugged in but, I dont know if its working or not. I still dont know if its in HH. It has to be though because, its pretty stable. I only need a little left stick to keep it straight from time to time. I'm going to go fly it now... I'll mess with the switches!!!! LOL
Old 09-27-2004, 12:54 AM
astronut30

If the led on the gyro is on, then it's in hh mode...

have fun!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:59 AM
AWDEVO8

Yep, I can now switch it from HH to non HH . It is the top left swtich that raptorcam said it would be. Astronaut... I also made a change and put the tail rotor linkage into the 3rd hole from out. I now have much more control authority over the tail. I did also figure out why it wagged so much after I changed out the hs55 to an hs56. Ready for this, I was turning on the heli before the radio![X(] The 401 apparently doesnt like that!!!! Doh!!! Well, now I have issues with my kokam 1500. I dont think its charging correctly. I'm going to buy a new batt for my shogun. Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:10 AM
astronut30

Thunder Power is always a good choice and I'm gonna try Poly Quest in my Hbird soon, they have the best construction I've seen and a cool safety feature, they are a little heavier than the others but I don't mind the weight for better stability. You can check them out at www.aircraft-world.com Thunder Power, www.grandrc.com I believe has them and good prices and shipping too.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:21 AM
AWDEVO8

Man, I cant believe how much crap you heli guys have to know to get a heli flying correctly. I am learning though. Good news astronaut and raptercam... I now have adjusted my gain!!! The tail is "rock solid" I lowered the gain through the gear channel like raptercam said! I couldnt believe how stable this little heli is. It's like a huge scale heli now!!! I can hover and circle around my garage with ease. I cant wait till I learn how to use the throttle hold and fly inverted!!! I will get a brushless setup asap so I can have more fun. Thanks astronaut and raptercam!!!!! While I'm thanking you guys, How do i set up my shogun to have a throttle hold where, I can flip a switch and have full power all the time and control the cyclic pitch with the throttle? That way, I assume I can fly inverted like on the sim!!! LOL. Thanks again, mike
Old 09-30-2004, 04:27 AM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

On the 6102 cycle through the menus until you see the throttle hold option. You set your throttle level there and what switch you want to use for the throttle hold. Make sure its a switch not used for something else important.

I have not dealth with electric much or 3D flight for that matter but on my setup, throttle hold is used for when I want to practice autorotations. For 3D you set an idle up. The throttle remains at a higher level but it is still variable. I have one switch on mine set to idle up. In that mode my throttle curve is changed to 100 50 100 so I have full throttle at both full + and - collective. The collective pitch curve is also changed from -4 +6 +9 to -9 -0 +9.

On your JR you should go into the main menu, which is accessed by holding scroll down and select then turning on the power. Find the switch selection menu and check the switch assignments. I think by default the 6102 has the gear and flightmode on the same switch. I went in and changed it so that gear remained on left switch and flightmode was moved to right switch. I put my idle up settings on the flightmode switch. By default I think Dual Rate is assigned to two switches, Elevator D/R and Aileron D/R respectively, so I put them as combined on the Elevator D/R switch. This frees up the Aileron D/R switch so I used it for my throttle lock.

Glad to see you got it worked out. I hope I didn't just add confusion to your experience with my ramblings above. The combined switch assignments can mess you up so its a good ideal to divide them up.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:42 AM
AWDEVO8

Yes, thanks raptercam. You didnt mess me up anymore than I usually am!! I have the throttle hold switch on the right side of the transmitter. I have it set to zero now so when I flip the switch, the motor shuts down like it should for autos. I now need to go into my throttle and pitch curves and set it up. It has 2 modes, regular and stunt. I will combine the dual rates to one switch and set up the other switch to flip into stunt mode. Sound good? Thats possible right?