Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

Old 01-02-2005, 09:20 PM
swashplate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

Glad to hear it, those boards are tweaky! Ya tho i don't think you need a mixer for seperates, I'm a newby too (the truth comes out). This has been a main area of research for a bit. it seems like the gyro goes in between the tail servo and the receiver. Anybody else know what a hornet seperates circut diagram looks like?? This would be great info for us 22D/Aers.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:23 AM
ToyFigure

OK. So I was playing with the Delay and Limit settings on my 22D and just couldn't get the tail to dail-in with the rest of the heli, still spins.[:@]

Tried to give it more thruttle (as suggested in another thread) and the darn thing yawed left and hit the wall...result? A broken main gear (which I have to order a replacement for), a torn-open canopy and some other damages that I was able to fix.

What a way to start a new year, huh.[&o]
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Hover Dude

This dumb heli wont stay still anymore. the pin which holds the tail blades in place fall of as soon as i power up the motor. well i am going to start looking for some high qautlity tail gear. but before then i am going to use a stlightly better servo for the taill and see what that does.
hover dude
Old 01-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Hover Dude

well i found the problem. I cant really explain it properly, but a little rod the the bell crank was supposed to hook onto is missing/ broken off. i will have to buy a new one, but the only one i can find is in heli hobby and it costs $55+ shipping. is there anywhere where i can get normal plastic hornet parts. not the cnc ones
Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Hover Dude

well i found it. replacement parts for the drangonfly 22d. [link]http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/products.php?cat=24[/link]
Old 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM
ToyFigure

Hover Dude,

Try [link=http://www.rc-expert.com/product-access.php?pid=88]THIS SITE[/link].

NOTE: Prices seem a little cheaper (they are in Canada), BUT IMO THEY ARE KIND OF SLOW IN SHIPPING - ordered from them on 12/24 and got an e-mail saying 1 part is out of stock on 12/28. Still waiting as of now...

BTW, what's your Delay and Limit settings when you had your heli stabled?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Hover Dude

well i was kinda lucky as far as the gyro is concered. delay i put on full and limit is a little before full
Old 01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
ToyFigure

Thanks man, I'll give that settings a try as soon as my replacement parts show up.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
swashplate

Hey guys! sorry to hear we're all in such rough shape! I realy want to fly helies and it seems like the only cost effective way to learn on a machine is like a snelflight, or less realistic, a sim. I am going to put in another order for parts on the 22d, but too many more and my budget is blown! The pivot for the bell crank is easily re-enforced by drilling a hole up from about where it broke off and making a clip from coat hanger wire that clips down through the bell crank around and up onto the little hex nut that tightens the tailbox onto the boom. you can also drill small holes in the landing gear to hold the skids on the legs. Make sure to start slow and pretend you spent like 20 hours building the thing so that you are not tempted to launch it into the air before it is trimmed, and have to suffer the apperently inevitable consequences. Taking the ratchet out of the throttle gimbal is an easy MUST DO mod. 5 screws all together to deal with that. Those little pins that hold the tail pitch are easily replaced with slightly longer ones without sacraficing popapartability. Just remember to glue the new ones in (the old ones will just come out with needel nose). for those pins and shaft pins use medium/small parerclips nothing too beefy. Also it will fly fine with a stripped gear or two doesnt seem to hurt. Make sure to check the tail every time it hits anything. also a great mod is to take a training gear stick and ball (one each), and rig along it the boom ( i did it without anything, it just kinda wedged in a bit) out past the tail aways so the TAIL IS PROTECTED FROM BEHIND!!! it looks funny at first but its lighter and more effective than standard config of training gear for me. I cant fly now cause i thought i would try with out it. HA.
Also even with "good settings" remember the tail is drifty so dont expect to hover hands off until you pop for radio equipment and a futaba GY240 w/dig servo.
Happy Hovering, and good luck!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:21 PM
swashplate

last time i was flying i had backed the delay up to almost where the limit was, slight left to right decline from horizontal. Adjust it slow!!! Hope this helps!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Hover Dude

Swashplate u are a genius. i did what u said am i have fixed the bell crank pivot. i will still order some replacements so i have them at hand. what replacement parts do u think would be useful to have.
hover dude
Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 PM
swashplate

Hey Dude glad to hear of succes! As for replacement parts it realy depends on what you break cause i have not broken so many parts! But it seems like the shaft that goes through the tail prop could stand to be tougher (mines busted and thats all im waiting on to fly it again), the main gear goes in varios ways (mine has one stripped gear on upper ring for tail out-put, but i have heard of the side poping), if you land hard alot you might want new landing gear. oh and uh BLADES yeah the motor has enough torque to take 'em off at the stump[:-]. I kept expecting the tail to come flying appart, but this has not happened. i have replaced many shaft pins and pitch pins, but I think its almost a safety feature to have the shaft pins shear, in some instances they are called shear pins cause they shear under load, like a mechanical fuse. Personaly once you get that closehanger wire in there, mod up the landing gear like in my last post, and use a ping-pong ball/babboo skewer out the back along past the tail prop, its TOUGH [>:] enough for my bothmy numb thumbs! save your money till you break some parts unless you have a burning hole in you pocket and are forced onto ebay to purchase a transmitter, reciever, esc and gyro! Hmm that would be 100 150 to go seperates ? It really makes those oem parts look expensive. I want to put a hornet ccpm head on mine or just get a bare bones 22a from rc expert, so realy even my tail shaft is gonna wait! Trying to stay under a certain budget realy limits the fun you can have with these so my new strategy is incramental, but with more thought out increments cause what i realy wanna do is fly 3d. And its just plain not cheap, so im learning to limit my desires and my expectations of these less expensive helies and figure a little time in the shop goes a real long way.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:00 AM
ToyFigure

I had this crazy thought...since I'm going to have to play with the Delay / Limit settings all the time, I was thinking what would happen if I put the gyro on it's back side on the main frame (you know it's sitting up on the side and the plugs are facing sideways).

I don't think it's not gonna work because that would make the gyro think the heli is tilted to her side but I'm just couries...

Will see
Old 01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
swashplate

Hmm? give it a try and let us all know, Im not sure if it would fit that way on mine, as all the servo leads are wicked short!
Good luck!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 AM
ToyFigure

swashplate,

I opened up the gyro mixer box last night, took out the circuit board and put it flat on the main frame (with the Delay/Limit dials facing upward), using just a rubber band to secure it.

The heli behaved the same - i.e. tail still spins (anti-clockwise) and yaw to the right if I give it more thruttle. Tried every dial settings imaginable and still not able to get it off the ground[:@]

I will try to adjust the rudder servo arm tonight as I don't think it has enough movement (thus not enough power) to counter the main blades rotation.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Hover Dude

hi
are u sure there is nothin wrong with your main gear. i shreaded the part of the main gear that powers the tail gear and the tail rotor would spin but not produce enough thrust. i have ordered a new main gear now but that is not here yet. i am also a newbie, i realy feal sorry for you though cause i got my 22d to fly stable. just check your main gear
hover dude
Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
swashplate

Hey toyfigure I feel your pain. sounds like the tail is not getting enough pitch. Also the dial settings wont get the heli off the ground, they wil help it to be stable once it already is. So that being said sounds like either your battery doesnt have enough charge capacity to adquetly power the motor or your servo arms and linkages are soo far out of kilter the heli tips over before its fully powered up. Which by the way wil not be helped either by the gyro settings or on the transmitter trims. you may have to either lengthen or shorten the linkages, change the holes they are in, or unscrew the servo arms and reposition them to be centered. It could take some time, but no amount of gyro setting or messing with the trim tabs on the transmitter can bring the control surfaces of the aircraft into flight tolerance unless they are close enough all ready. This is the "ready" as in "ready to fly out of the box", that in 99.99% of these little helicopters You must supply on your own. Try to imagine what makes the heli mechanicaly stable in flight, and see if the heli matches your imaginings. Did you check for a sheered pin in between the main shaft and main gear??
GOOD LUCK let us know !!!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 AM
ToyFigure

Thanks guys,

Yeah I had smashed the heli against the wall last week trying to lift it off the ground and stripped 2-3 tooth off the main gear but the rudder still runs. Ordered the parts from RC Expert and am waiting for it.

I'm going to get me some sticks and ping pong balls and make myself a crash kit and deal with the servo arm this weekend. I swear I'm going to fly that darn thing one of these days! [:@]
Old 01-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Cyberflexx

I got the spinning tail problem as well, I adjusted the delay, limit many many times, it wants to spin clockwise. I need more pitch from the tail rotor, but the slider will not permit the blades to tilt any further. Any other thoughts on how to get more pitch?

I have some confirmed MS Hornet part numbers that will work with the 22d. They are the E260 Main Gear Conical and pinion, E193 Tail Pitch slider CP, and E431 TailShaft Metal Hub. this does not have the C clips so you need to push with a little force to get the shaft to go through the bearing and gear and put a drop of CA on the top of the gear so the shaft will hold in place. I removed the orange spacer and I use that peice to hold the belcrank onto the slider since I lost that peice in the crash. It fits great!.

I was messing around with the DIP switches on the back of the controller to see if that would have any affect on the pitch and this seemed to make the problem worse as now the speed controller is stuck at full throttle even when I put the settings back to default.
I tried powering heli and controller and setting the DIP switches to see if it would reset, but no luck.. I need some help please.. I now am missing the tail rotor slider peice that connects to the rear blades pins and also missing the slider peice that holds the bell crank onto the servo arm as all this stuff went everywhere when my heli smacked the wall from full throttle when messing with the DIP switches.. any suggestions for makeshift parts and how to rest the gyro/esc HELP ME PLEASE!...
Old 01-09-2005, 10:52 PM
bluedragon76

Hi everyone hey im not an expert here but I think if you need spare parts you can look into using hornet cpx or hornet 2 parts but don't quote me on this just an I idea!!!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:10 PM
ToyFigure

Cyberflexx,

I ordered my parts for the 22d from RC-Expert:

http://www.rc-expert.com/product-access.php?pid=88

Prices are OK but shipping is a little slow (they're from Canada, I think).

My 22D also doesn't have enough pitch to stop the spinning so I'm going to re-adjust the rudder servo arm this week-end. If you look at the servo that controls the rudder, you'll see a screw that holds the servo arm in place, just take that out, reposition the arm (a little further back) and screw it back onto the servo.

Hope that helps (for the both of us)
Old 01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
wicked504

Dragonfly 22A - I was having the same problem with the spinning thing until the back fin came off and got pushed into the rear tail blades. Now when the main motor spins the tail doesnt. I seems like either the gear at the end of the tail shaft is not fixed to the tail shaft or the gear in the front is not fixed the tail shaft. Does anyone know how the gears are fixed to the shaft (glue, etc.)?
Oh and by the way RC-Expert is from Hong Kong, Address: 803, 312 Un Chau Street, Hong Kong. I ordered 2 Dragonflies 22D about on the same day I ordered my Dragonfly 22A, Jan 2 and still havent gotten them.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:43 AM
JohnY2004

Remove a screw from the tail servo arm and reposition the arm.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:29 PM
wicked504

Problem with gears fixed, next problem I turned the heli on and throttled up and nothing happened. All of a sudden it just started up full throttle and would not stop (it was not in 3d mode). After it stopped I ended up with a small crack in one of the main blades, a battery that looks like it may have had a short in it (I see burned holes in the heat shrink around the battery) and it looks like the tail boom may gotten pushed forward causing the main gear not to mesh correctly with the tail boom gear.

I thought I had problems with motors burning up on my JABO II FP, but this Dragonfly 22A (Walkera) is ridiculous.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Cyberflexx

My 22d is full throttle as soon as you plug in the battery, I cant get it to reset. I messed with the DIp switches on the back of the transmitter and that is when it started happening, I put the settings back to original default and no throttle is still stuck full power.. please help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.