Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

LiPo 3cell problem on Skylark

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

LiPo 3cell problem on Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:21 AM
Snoekel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo 3cell problem on Skylark

When I connect my 3cell/1800mA pack to my Skylark, the heli gets airborne, but after 2 sec the power drops dead! I've noticed that when be gentle with the trottlestick it keeps running, but just a tiny bit to far and the heli falls out of the sky!

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thnx

Patrick
Old 12-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Thunderbirded

Default RE: LiPo 3cell problem on Skylark

it seems like the problem could be that the battery pack is too powerful and your heli might have a circuit breaker

which means when you give full power, it trips the circuit, and the heli falls

this might not be the problem, but its an idea

maybe try a less powerful battery
Old 12-24-2004, 05:18 PM
tanasit

In most case, the speed control of the helicopter doesn't have 2 features: brake and the cut off point.
The cut off point only occurs when the voltage of the battery pack drops to a certain preset number (6.5 volt for example), the power to the motor only that will be cut so that you still have the control of the other servos, which is extremely useful for the airplane.
So "too powerful" battery is incorrect. I suspect either the pack is not fully charged or the ambient temperature is too low or the pack is not of high quality. I flew my T-Rex brushless today with 38 degree temperature, and the stock 2200 mAH no name pack will lift it off at almost full stick then slow down after a few seconds (not enough power)> Then I strapped in the Thunder Power 2100 mAH, it seemed to be sluggish for a few seconds, so I landed it and advanced the stick slowly and hover at just over half stick and fly for 10 minutes.
Other possibility is that your motor is loosing the power (brush worn out !). Also check the connectors if they are loose or have some frayed wires. Spin the rotor by hand and see the all spinning smoothly no binding or wrong gear mess.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Snoekel

I've checked the motor and connectors and they are OK. I suspect that there is a currentdraw-protection in the battery pack itself. When I disconnect the pack and immediately connect it again, the problem is gone. Full throttle again and it drops dead. I also have tried a 7,4v/1800mA Li-Ion and flew without any problem so I think the problem is in the battery pack and not in the motor.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
quaker1

Has the voltage of the pack dropped below 9 volts at any stage, I had a li/ion pack that went below 9v just once and after that the capacity was about a quarer of what it was.
It gave full power but only for a couple of minutes.