Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Diagram for making esky sim cable?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Diagram for making esky sim cable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:57 AM
jopslowstick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagram for making esky sim cable?

Anyone have a diagram for putting together a homemade esky sim cable? I can buy an esky buddy cable at my LHS for $12 and a serial jack at Radio Shack for $3, so for $15 total I could "roll my own", but don't know how it all wires together. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, any good sources of cheap esky sim cables other than Ebay? Seems like every kit sold via Ebay has one included, but only 1 or 2 sellers at any one time are selling the cables alone.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:00 AM
oops

Default RE: Diagram for making esky sim cable?

ZhenHua type controller.
.._______
./.......\
/..=====..\ Looking at the back of the controller (or the solder side of the plug).
|.........|
|.o1...4o.| 4 - to pin2 DB9 F
|.........| 3 - to pin3 DB9 F
\..o2.3o../ 2 - to pin5 DB9 F
.\_______/. 1 - to pin7 DB9 F

Testing - Hyperterminal at 19200 baud should produce a repeating sequence of 5 characters which
change when you fiddle with the main controls.

Some later (6 channel) models don't work. Don't try to figure it out. They will just echo characters back to you. It's probably a programming interface.

If that's the case, you will find a 5v square wave signal going to one side of the crystal. Just grab this and amplify.... In fact, since you don't use the crystal for training,
just pull the crystal, and make yourself a fake crystal cable.... A BC549 and a pullup resistor and a parallel port - and it works fine. (And it already has about a 47k current limiting
resistor inside so just drive into the base directly).

That works really well with PPJOY !

(Yes, I've tried it. It works. It was the controller from a Walkera 22A)/

David
Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
jopslowstick

Awesome dude! Thanks much!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:34 AM
grbicking

Can you explain more the following part about the crystal. I have a later model 6 channel radio and the serial cable isn't working at all even though it looks as though it is built properly.

This is the part I don't quite understand what to make and what parts to get:

If that's the case, you will find a 5v square wave signal going to one side of the crystal. Just grab this and amplify.... In fact, since you don't use the crystal for training,
just pull the crystal, and make yourself a fake crystal cable.... A BC549 and a pullup resistor and a parallel port - and it works fine. (And it already has about a 47k current limiting
resistor inside so just drive into the base directly).
Thank you
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
oops

Try this...

http://203.13.16.1/heli/

The stock 6 channel does not work... You need to break out the PPM signal.

David.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:55 AM
grbicking

Thank you for the post.

Taking a look at it now, although my transmitter works and don't want to fry it.

Decided I would like to make my own cable. I want to link into the ground from the battery and the crystal as that is easier. I Don't want to solder into the PCB.

What side do I grab the signal from the crystal on?

I assume that I make the parrallel cable like your previous post and just tap into the signal from the ground and the crystal leading to the parrallel plug.

Thank you for your help, this will save some money, I don't want to buy another transmitter right now. Just want to make sure I understand everything before I procede.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
oops

Since people are asking about finding an External Ground on the transmitter...

You can get this from the battery (ground side) or from the Battery Eliminator Socket GND.

David,
Old 04-09-2005, 02:37 AM
HazzaHSV

Hmm.. my stock 6 channel worked with PPJoy straight off the bat. Serial cable and heli was supplied by heli-fever.com.

Works great!! Obviously there is a bit of mixing going on (due to CCPM) but at anything other than fullish throttle its almost perfect.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:59 AM
grbicking

Not sure why some work and some don't, My transmitter says revision 3 in it...

I am going to make a parallel cable if all works, I will post pictures of what I did.

Do you have the LCD new transmitter or the led transmitter?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:11 AM
HazzaHSV

I thought there was only ever one TX with the Honeybee 2. This is the one http://www.heli-fever.com/product_in...roducts_id=169. Click on the picture to enlarge it. And this is the sim cable http://www.heli-fever.com/product_in...roducts_id=198.

I just read that this cable has the following: This cable has a built-in MCU to convert the PPM signal of Transmitter to RS-232 COM port signal. You may use it in simulator like FMS to train your skill. You will need the software PPJOY to convert the Transmitter into a joystick in Windows.

So maybe that's why it works straight off the bat.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:27 PM
grbicking

The serial cable I received was not the one pictured here [link=http://www.heli-fever.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_25&products_id=198]http://www.heli-fever.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_25&products_id=198.[/link].

I received a 9 pin serial cable that after researching works with the 4 channel tranmitter. I am building my own parrallel cable now.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

I made one about 2 days ago & made this for myself to look at when wiring what I needed. I have a Dragonfly 22D & this worked great for me. Keep in mind your looking at the back of the plugs where you solder the wires to.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

If you don't want to mess with PPjoy drivers, you may want to consider a serial PIC interface from [link=http://www.milehighwings.com]MileHighWings.com[/link]. This interface performs "un-mixing" and feeds the unaltered channel signals proportional to the stick deflection. With this interface, ESky "Channel Six" CCPM transmitter can be used with any simulator supporting FMS Serial PIC protocol.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM
tnd2000

I have an esky ccpm and zh df5. They both came with fms interface and I use them interchangably with any problem. I've used esky tx with zh cable etc, never had any problem.
Also the training cable came with 9 and 25 pin connector. 9 pin works with serial port, 25 pin works with parallel port. Yep, the same cable works on both serial and parallel port.

One last thing regard the ground. Be sure you know what you're doing when you make a serial cable (parallel cable won't have this problem). The serial ports works on -12v.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
agente_smith

Dear David,
I buy the transistor and the resistors to made the parallel cable for my RadioCom BUT when I open the case I found a little different circuit board. I made a photo avaible at the following link:
[link=http://www.internetmegastore.it/codici/pannellostore/IM001633.JPG]Circuit Photo[/link]
Is possible to attach the signal cable at this board? I suppose yes because is very similar!
You can help me to find where to solder the signal cable?!

I own a Dragonfly #35 and I wanted to pratice with the pc simulator before using it in "the real world" !

Many many thanks, Francesco
Old 05-05-2005, 05:53 AM
oops

Hi Agente_smith,

Try: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...mpage_3/tm.htm

Pischla has already solved this problem for that board....

And he's also posted his PPJOY config -

Regards
David