Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

!!!!!!!NEE HELP WITH 2 THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

!!!!!!!NEE HELP WITH 2 THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 12:40 AM
AAAsnwbordr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!!!!NEE HELP WITH 2 THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, i have a mini electric Dragonfly heli and need some help. First, i got a lithium 3-cell 11.1v 1050mAh battery for my heli and it came with a charger. The charger doesn't have any information on it, not even a name. Almost at the end of the wire is a little box that is an adapter for a 3-cell 11.1v Lipoly, a 2-cell 7.4v Lipoly and a 7-cell 8.4v Nicd-MH. Everything is great except for that i don't know how long to charge the 3-cell 11.1v battery. I charged it for about two hours (or at least i think i did) and the packages that make up the battery kind of expanded, whats up with that? DOES THE BATTERY LOSE ENERGY IF YOU LET IT SIT?
Please say whatever you can to help!!

My second thing i wanted to ask is: i have the little ping pong balls as the trainer platforms, does that really effect how high i can go?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 AM
chronus

Default RE: !!!!!!!NEE HELP WITH 2 THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

>>Please say whatever you can to help!!<<

RUN!
that battery doesnt sound to good.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 AM
acr1346

The quick and dirty answer is the battery is trashed. It has been heated and expanded by overcharging.
It most likely will work if all three cells are expanded. That would mean they all had the same amount
of damage. they are charged to a certain voltage and no more. going beyond that voltage value expands
each cell as it "boils". At the risk of fire damage, I'd say get a proper auto cutoff charger and new
battery, or at the least, a proper charger.

Ping pong balls add weight. If you can lift them at less than full throttle you should be able to
get any hight you want. If you are at or near full throttle, one to two feet is about the limit.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:08 AM
pwterry

My HoneyBee 2 came with two 11.1v, 1200mah li-poly batteries. A serious crash damages one (one cell swelled up). That was two months ago, and I still use it. I doesn't seem to have quite the flight time that the other battery has, but works fine otherwise. Note: I do all charging with the battery in a 1 quart glass jar, just in case.

My charger is a wall wart (small black box with outlet prongs), and has an "adaptor" of sorts with jumpers near the battery end. The wall wart puts out 500mah at 12 volts, and I think it loses some at the adaptor. It takes around 4 hours to charge a battery. If your charger has a green/red LED on it, that LED should be green with the charger plugged in and no battery attached and red with a battery attached. If this is true, the LED will go from red to green has the battery reaches full charge. Note: I do not think this charger stops charging on its own - remove the battery when the LED is fully green.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:08 AM
emosolo

Morning,

I downloaded a video once that showed what happens when a Lipoly battery goes wrong. It was not a pleasent sight at all. It goes completly unstable and litterally explodes and bursts into a flare type flame. Do yourselves a favour and dispose of your suspect packs.

Regards,
Solo.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

I would find out how to set up the charger before you try and charge anything again. You might have had it set for a different type of battery and that is why it went south. I read enough about charging those things and what happens if you do it wrong to make me be very careful. Try and find some info on the net on your charger and make sure it's set for 11.1 Li-Poly. Just my .02
Old 03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
davbow
My Feedback: (6)

GUys, spend the money and get the proper charger for lipos.... The new hobbico accucycle works awesome....
i would charge a 11.1 1500 at 1.5 amps for 1 hour..... thats why the new accucycle is awesome...
these lipos are dangerous and must be properly charged.... Always be there to supervise the complete charge too!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:04 PM
avi8er

As someone who has seen the front seat of a vehicle removed by the chemical reaction of a bad Lipo, I say this; Don't play around with these batteries! ! Take them very seriously! Yes, it CAN happen to you, and NO it will not be all right. Have you notice that they don't sell any indoor chargers for lipo? How would you expalin to the family that the house burnt down because of your hobby?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:07 PM
avi8er

Oh yeah, and 11.1 volts is too much for that heli. You will melt the motor. Try 7.4 volts, you will not notice the difference between that an nimh, except for 5 times the run time.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:33 AM
R-Rudder

Show us the picture of the 3-cell lipo you've got. On the older version, the cells are stacked together without any space in between for cooling. They are as hot as lava after only couple minutes of flying and won't last very long.