Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Shogun 400 tail shaft problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Shogun 400 tail shaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Wazmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shogun 400 tail shaft problem

I ground the teeth off my tail input gear and tried to replace it. I noticed while removing the damaged gear that it was very loose and wobbly. There seems to be some material from the shaft left in the hole of the damaged gear. The shaft has what appear to be loose glass fibers at the end. When I put the new input gear on the shaft, it's very loose and won't stay on. I ended up removing the shaft, and noticed that there's significant signs of metal wear at the 1/4 and 3/4 positiions along the shaft length, and it also appears slightly bowed. I presume this calls for replacing the shaft. Should I use another stock shaft, or an upgrade? Will the boom bearings need to be replaced also? I'm assuming the metal wear is from the shaft flexing and rubbing against the inside of the tail boom. Is there normally a way to replace the input gear without removing the tail shaft? It was very difficult to get it aligned with the shaft in place.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Wazmo

Default RE: Shogun 400 tail shaft problem

Also, the head of one of the four Phillips head screws securing the tail boom to the main frame is stripped. Any way to remove it, short of drilling it out?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

You can add extra bearings so there are 5 inside the tail boom and get rid of the vibration. Just heat both ends of the shaft a little to soften the glue holding the bearings and pull them out. Then slide a little locktite in and smear it on the inside of the shaft and push a bearing halfway down from each end so they are in between the center bearing and the end of each shaft. Then locktite the end bearings in. Don't use very much locktite, you don't want it getting into the bearings. That will stop the shaft vibration.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 PM
katipo
My Feedback: (3)

I've only had your problem once and that was when I had a too tight gear mesh to try and use a partly worn gear.
Take your time getting the mesh right when you replace the bits. And keep some spares on hand.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:54 AM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

WAZMO:

I had the same problem when I upgraded to brushless. I had to upgrade to a belt system and now WHAM I have a KICK ***** HELI. its awesome. I had to program my speed controller to the proper RPM and this thing is rock solid in flight. Almost as good as my trex.

Alan
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 PM
crusader4x

Also, the head of one of the four Phillips head screws securing the tail boom to the main frame is stripped. Any way to remove it, short of drilling it out?
I had the same thing happen to the same screws on my Shogun 400 and was able to remove the screw with the stripped screwhead with a slightly larger slotted screwdriver.
After removing the screw with the stripped head, I'd recommend replacing the screws with slightly longer hexhead screws by Dubro. I wish I remember the size. Bring the stripped screw to your LHS and they should have a good selection of Dubro hexhead screws.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Wazmo

I managed to remove the stripped screw with a combination of flat screwdriver and needle-nose pliers. I did replace them with Dubro socket head screws, M2x10 I believe.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:45 AM
JohnY2004

M2x10 is a bit too big but if it fits, it's ok. You can use the next smaller hex standard size which is M1.6 x 10.