Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

My Honey Bee Has No Lift

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

My Honey Bee Has No Lift

Old 04-21-2005, 07:05 PM
JAG Hobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Honey Bee Has No Lift

I have an esky Honey Bee helicopter and it won't lift off. I'm using a 11.1 volt LiPo battery pack and have replaced every part on the head. I've tried a different speed control, battery, and main motor and still can't get it top lift off. At max speed it just sets there unless I put some right stick in it and it will tip.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Jim
Old 04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: My Honey Bee Has No Lift

Is it a honeybee2? You probably need to adjust the pitch or if its brand new it may be a little "stiff" When i first got mine it did the same thing. I slowly moved it up and down the main shaft ,manually and very carefully after that it was fine. Make sure your trim for the throttle is a little over 1/2,then if its set right,rev up slow and be careful cause when the blades hit the right pitch its gonna go up.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:52 PM
jim p.
My Feedback: (4)

Also make sure the swashplate is not seperated, if it is,it will not fly. Mine did the same thing until I discovered the swash-thing, if it is seperated,snap it back together, usually it will stay untill you hit hard and bind the blades.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:00 PM
rbiasi

I was doing the same thing for a while. I was afraid to glue the swash back together so I would press it back. That worked for a week or two, but then it wouldn't hold together anymore. It would separate the minute I throttled up. When it gets to that point just carefully glue it back together. Make sure not to get any glue on the swash ball or main shaft. Since I glued it it's held for three months now.

But Jim, you probably have a box of swash plates. So I guess you can just pop on a new one.

Jim Pate, thanks for the tip on the Venom 370 motor. I've been looking at airplane motors, but they seem pretty much the same as the stock motor. I even got one of the "Gold" motors that Century sells for the Hummingbird. It's the same damn motor with a gold sticker on it and a 10t pinion. But hey, no one tricks out motors like the RC car guys. I was looking last night and there are some hot 370 motors. I'll have to try one.

Rich
Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
jim p.

Hey Rich,
The venom motor is well worth the effort, I can say there is a VAST improvement over the stocker, I'm running a heat-sink and it runs much cooler than the stocker with the same heat-sink. Run times with a 3cell (I know a little heavy) 1500 lipo, for me anyway, is at least 20-plus mins. If I'd loose the 3cell and opt for a two, I'd probably get a little more time.
The hb2 has been a great little heli for the money, but I've honestly grown kinda bored with it and I'm gonna move up to a Shogun soon. I've got a vast inventory of parts and stuff and also 3 hb2"s, ones on e-bay right now and the rest are soon to follow. I would reccommend it to anyone who's starting out tho, it's a tough little bird (except for the landing gear) that will take one heck of a beating!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 AM
rbiasi

Jim,
I've got two HB2s and a T-Rex. I thought I might get tired of the HB2s when I got my Rexie, but I still have a blast with them! If you get a bigger heli I'd recommend hanging on to one HB2 since you can fly them indoors if it's crappy outside. I've spun up my rex in the house a few times, but just to check it out after working on it. But I fly the HB2 around inside all the time (when no one else is home).

I was going to buy a Shogun as well, but I decided to get the rex instead. Both are great helis, but the Rex parts are alot cheaper and the rex comes with a belt drive tail. Another heli in that size to check out is the new ARK-400. Very similar to the rex, but comes stock with 120 CCPM.

I think I'll order one of the venom motors tonight!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 AM
JAG Hobbies

I've already loosed up the head and adjusted the pitch control links but still nothing. The swash plate isn't currently seperating. This thing just doesn't want to fly. The servos are a little slow and I thought they might not have enough torque to increase the pitch enough.

Jim
Old 04-22-2005, 02:34 PM
rbiasi

Jim,
How do you have your throttle trim set? You need to set it full down to arm the ESC, but once it's armed (LED solid green) try pushing it up to between halfway and max. With the Esky TX I can never get the HB2 off the ground unless I crank up the throttle trim.

Also, you might unplug both motors from the 4-in-1 and run the throttle stick up and down and check the pitch of the blades.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
JAG Hobbies

I've disconnected the motors and the pitch works fine. I would like to see more but it does work. I haven't tried the trim yet. I'll do that next.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
rbiasi

Yeah, with the Esky TX if I left the throttle trim at zero the heli would get lite on the skids, but never airborne. Every so often I forget to do that and spend a few minutes wondering why the damn thing won't lift.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:03 PM
jim p.

Rich,
You talked me into hanging onto one of the hb"s, I flew some in the house tonight and caught my self smiling!!!!!! so guess it will stay in the hangar (this is my modded one) for a while. I do look forward to the challenge of the Shogun tho, It's on the way and I've got a bunch of stuff to buy[]
Old 04-23-2005, 08:55 AM
JAG Hobbies

What battery are you using and what is the voltage when you put a voltmeter on it? I think the battery I'm using is bad.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
rbiasi

I've got two 11.1v 1200mah li-po batteries. Generally after a flight they are just under 11v. After a charge they are approx 12.5v.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 AM
JAG Hobbies

My is at 11.1 right now.

Jim
Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Jag what charger are you using? The one that came with the HB2? Those things scare the hell out of me. [&:]

I picked up a used Hobbico Quick Field DC Charger MKII 12 Volt over a year ago best $30 I ever spent.(Tower Hobbies has them for $49)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCTZ5&P=ML
It will only charge a 1-3 cell Li-po to about 85 to 90 % from what I have read, but still get 12-15 mins flight on the batts anyways.

Can charge 2 batts at once, downside you need a 12v power source- I use my Hobbico 12v power panel as I also fly planes.
( Can also use your car battery, Radio shack sells a Cig Lighter adapter that has Banana plug jacks)

Bought about 10 pairs of banana plugs and made up every charging cable I would ever use.

If you plan to stay in the Hobby Purchase a GOOD charger- Triton, etc.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 PM
JAG Hobbies

Well, I finally got it. It's flying now. I'm not really sure what it was but I replaced the swashplate and readjusted the pitch control links and it now flys. I'm not sure but I think it was the swashplate seperating but I never actually saw it happen.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 12:25 PM
rbiasi

Jim,
Glad to hear that you got it flying!

have fun!
Rich