Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

cheep heli for a beginer.

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

cheep heli for a beginer.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 AM
mittimj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheep heli for a beginer.

Alright I am kinda interested in the whole helecopter thing but dont want to have to spend big$. I have many hours behind a simulator g2. I have a jr quatro transmitte which is 4 channels. Is there a heli out there that only requires 4 channels. I am not looking for somthing that will be doing aerobatic menuvers. It will probly only be leaving the ground for about 30 secconds. I am hopeing to spend under 200$. I also have a reciever. I dont mind putting a kit together either. oh and I have a charger that will charge nicad and nimh. so I would like to stay away from the lithium polimer stuff.

Thanks A bunch.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:32 AM
mittimj

Default RE: cheep heli for a beginer.

maby fixed pitch as well, the on that I was using on the simulator was variable pitch but I dont think I will mind either way.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
VinceHerman

For indoor only flight, the XRB SR Lama ($300) is amazingly steady and easy to fly. It is slightly on the toyish side.
For primarily indoor, and some outdoor on very calm days, FP micros like the Hummingbird and Piccolo top my reccomendation list. Not sure these are within your budget.
To fly outdoors, I think you need to re-evaluate your budget.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM
mittimj

Alright I hear ya. Is there a heli that comes with no radio? a lot of the cheeper ones that I am seeing come with a controler. lets say I was to look on ebay what would I be looking for. I guess I could up my budget as long as if I have it for a while and sell it I can get some of my $ back.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:33 PM
rc_lurker

Yeah, the LMH Corona kit can be had for around $199.00 usuaslly. The Corona only requires a 4 channel radio. You'll still have to buy a few things though like your 4 channel receiver, your servos maybe and your gyro. Oh and you'll probably have to buy your motor and ESC - I've seen Atomic Force motors brand new for as little as $18.00 in the last month or so. If you want to go brushless it'll cost you more for your motor and ESC, also you'll need more powerful batteries for the brushless. You can fly a Corona stock on an Atomic Force with 7-Cell sticks of GP 3300 NiMH so your charger should work on these sticks. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
drzbrian
My Feedback: (2)

i first went the "cheap" route. Found out the hard way that parts break and are pretty expensive. The Piccalo "fun" is priced cheaply but from what I hear it's not the best quality, but if you don't have a lot to spend then you don't have much choice.

I broke down and bought a TRex. I'm into it for about $1000 and I bought "budget" stuff. and have only 2 battery packs. The good news is that if you are patient, you can buy all your parts and in a couple months maybe have enough to fly. The TRex kit is pretty cool, and it's only $180. but you still need a ton of electronic stuff to fly. I bought mine, and just bought a new accessory each week until I had a complete model.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

Buy a "Simulator" or try one out at a friends. Crashing a simulated heli is
FREE! Crashing your heli gets expensive really fast.

When you buy a heli your going to want upgrades, save your cash and
buy stock spares of commonly broken/worn out items.
i.e. motors, main blades, skids.

Anyone remeber this saying?
"Chrome won't get you home, but Black will get you back"

Read, Read, Read, Read on the forums these people on RCuniverse are
great!! to say the least. They can help you with almost any question you
can think of.

Prepare to spend atleast $500 (heli with a few spares,charger, batteries) in the next few months. Plastic wears and breaks, Motors wear out and occasionly fail and breaks more plastic etc.

Heard a nice story the other day. Guy walks into a hobby shop and buys
a GWS dragon fly RTF. He asked the people at the shop to help set it up. Guy then asks hobby shop employee to show him how it flies. Hobby shop
employee turns a $250 micro heli into a heap of trashed parts in less
than 30 seconds.( Hobby shop employee runs RC cars and thought how hard could it be to fly a heli !! Priceless )

Be safe and have fun!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 PM
mittimj

ya i use the sim all the time, and dont crash unless i do things other than beginer moves. I am thinking that this whole helecopter thing may be just to much $ for me to get into. I think I am going to stick to the plains and cars. maby in a cupple years when I get things sorted out I may sell off some other stuff, so it puts a little less of a dent in the pocket.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Cummins

I am in the same position as you as a car guy myself but without a simulator. I was hoping to get an XRB Sr second hand soon
Old 04-30-2005, 10:05 PM
C141FlyGuy
My Feedback: (1)

I was looking for all of the same things Cheap Easy to fly or learn to fly. I took a chance and got the GWS dragonfly. I opened the box was in fear that it would be trashed in the first flight. Boy O boy was I wrong I crashed it at least thirty times and all I broke were the skids. I purchase a carbon rod the sam diameter as the skid rods and repaired the skids Cost $3 for the rod and it is the same size as the fly bar rod. I got the helicopter for Christmas and I have been doing torward flight for about two months. My total cost in repairs is $13 that is all. I had the battery servos micro recei[img][/img]ver all I purchased was the Helicopter for $120 from Radical RC They hooked me up with all of the info on how to set it up.I always talk to Chris Fry. Before this I only wanted to try helicopter flying so I practiced on G2 for several hours. Once the helicopter was built I was hovering with confidence in two to three days. I am sure this helicopter can be purchased RTF with radio and the parts are cheap. When I crashed it wasn.,t the light crashes you may be thinking I was sure many of the crashes were the end of the choper but I would take a look and set it back on the ground and try again. I would also reccomend using lipo batteries as they last longer and ou can learn to fly faster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67713.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	265201