Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Gday and a DF/ Honey Bee question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Gday and a DF/ Honey Bee question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:50 AM
sarcasmatron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gday and a DF/ Honey Bee question

G'day... I'm new to helis and this forum. I'm from Perth, Australia. I'm a complete newcomer to the RC heli world and haven't succesfully hovered yet.

A few days ago I bought one of these 4-channel, fixed-pitch Twister / Dragonfly / Honey Bee. Not sure the exact model as you'd describe it on here (seems to be about 20 make / model names in use) . It has no cooling fins on the motors, the control box is E-SKY model EPRX36/EMSGOA.

Now the functions of the sticks seem to be mixed up. Vertical R stick does throttle (as it should) and vertical L stick does forward/reverse cyclic (as it should). But the horizontal L stick does rudder and the horizontal R stick does left/right cyclic (i.e. cyclic spread over 2 sticks !). I pulled the control box apart and couldn't see any toggle switches and everything is in the correct sockets.

Can I pull the radio apart and swap over some parts to mix up the sticks ? I.e. swap the functionality of horizontal sticks ? It's an el cheapo radio (Venom Air Corps V Spec) and there is no adjustment available except axis swap.

Can I rewire the control box so it's the right way around ? I saw a post somewhere of someone who has photos from the factory of the way it should be wired, but I can't find that post now.

Also, the servos seem to buzz a fair bit at their extremities. Is this the norm ?

Any help anyone could offer would be muchly appreciated as I'm dying to learn to fly this little bugger !

Thanks ...

PS does anyone have a picture / circuit diagram of the connections for the 2 boards inside the control box ? (EPRX36/EMSGOA)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74900.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	298941  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:16 AM
FL350

Default RE: Gday and a DF/ Honey Bee question

G'day, sport! Sounds like you do have a problem with your chopper... Don't know if you bought it from a shop but that might be you best first port of call... I have family in Perth and I've visited a model shop in West Perth (Leederville side), the owner of which is very much into heli's and could give you all the advice you need... otherwise there is a heli club that flies on a field just off Freeway North, a couple of exits up from the Leederville exit -sorry I can't be more specific but I only went there once while I was visiting family! Those guys will be able to sort you out...

Good luck...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
rotarypower3

What you are describing with the sticks is MODE1 and IS correct.
In Australia MODE1 is generally used by the older heli flyers and plank drivers
MODE2 is: left stick rudder and throttle right stick elevator and aileron
MODE2 is pretty much all they use in the states...

You seem to want what is called MODE3or4 can't remember which is which. But it is VERY uncommon, and if you want someone to attempt to fly you heli, or you want to fly someone elses, your not going to be able to.

But if you do want to change modes, it can usually be done quite easily, which if you open up the tx you'll see for yourself.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
sarcasmatron

So with mode 1 it's normal to have aileron and elevator on 2 separate sticks? I always thought it was normal to have them both on the same stick, be it the left one or the right one. Is this different for mode 1?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 AM
oops

Hi Sarcasmatron,

I'm in Perth also, and have a (broken) Dragonfly 4. I live out near Midland.

They are great to fly, but not so much in wind... And with the rain lately... mind you, I cried with the beautiful weather last week, and mornings and evenings are normally OK outside. Other than that, it's inside lately.

You have a mode 1 controller. You need to switch some of the wires, and move the throttle friction to the left, and the spring to the right. Then it will fly as you are expecting. You might even be able to use a different controller with that model.

If you don't have FMS, then download it. it's a free simulator. Also download PPJOY to convert signals. If you don't have a PC cable for your controller, then you will need to get or make one.

Parts are plentiful. The shop on the freeway offramp in leederville (Charles st exit from memory) is good, and sell good tail rotors for $5. They also have a lot of parts. Perth Hobby shop likewise stock a lot of parts and have plenty in stock.

Ace models in Midland sell new chassis off the shelf for $70.

Looks like you have a LiPo model, so should fly well. Message me if you want to get my email address and then we can discuss stuff if you like -

David