Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
squawk7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli

I guess you are right, people did unload their MX 400/450's. I' m ready to unload some parts myself. I really liked the MX 400/450's but parts are getting harder to find plus they cost a little more.
Good to hear that you still have a fleet. Keep 'um flying.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM
dude7422

SQUAWK sounds like you should have bought a trex 450 or one of the many clones DEE DEE DEE ps dont wakera parts fit helimax
Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
S_Dave

It seems that T-Rex 450 parts will fit.
I got a T-Rex tail boom, belt, and all-metal tail ass'y off eBay for very little $$$ and it fits.
To use the T-rex boom, you need their belt, too, since the boom is a little longer.

Have you guys seen that $30 clone of the T-Rex 450 that Hobby-City offers? http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...Helicopter_Kit
Their Zippy "Flight Max" 3S-2100 Li-Po batteries are great and cost less than $20. Guess I'm contributing to a balance-of-trade deficit.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
squawk7700

dude7422,
Soon as i get some time I'll place the MX 400/450 stuff on Ebay. Right now I have a Trex 450 and the EXI 450. Very little difference except in price.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM
squawk7700

That looks like a nice heli but a lot of plastic. Haven't read anything about it but if bought it I would replace the main and tail rotor with Copter X upgrade or EXI. I use both and in my own opinion its just as good as Trex. However, I only fly scale not 3D.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=6308

or

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exicncmerohe.html
Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Suhler

I hate to bring up really old threads, but I have too, you guys seem to know what you are talking about with this particular Helicopter, and no-one is replying to my thread. Here is my dillema.

I was just g
iven a MX-400 helicopter frame completely assembled, without any of the electronic system. I have two big problems.

One, I have only messed around with airhogs helicopters and an MCX2. I have some experience with STABLE helicopters and am heading my school with a quadcopter project. These are all automatically leveling aircraft, though. How the heck do I set this up to help me best learn to fly it? I know to set it up with a throttle correlating to the rotational speed in order to make the controls more familiar. I am NOT ready for 3D stunts. I want to learn how to fly it first.
I have been practicing with this helicopter on RealFlight flight sim. I still have a LOT to learn

Second, I have no power system for the helicopter. I am on a budget. Tight budget. I am looking for a quality power setup that is cheap. I am a BIG rc airplane person with a few nitro handbuilt models. I have seen a LOT of different setups for this helicopter on this thread alone. I have 6 different motor ideas, 12 esc's, you get the idea... I need a simple setup that is cheap and quality. I will crash a few times at least.... so durability is a key factor.
This is what I have already:

Spectrum DX7 Airplane M2 Transmitter

AR7000 DSMX receiver

past that... I need help. I need a Gyro, battery, esc, motor, and the servos.

I was thinking about HS-65HB servos because that is what people have recommended the most for durability, price, and speed. I need serious gyro help. Motors are killing me, and ESC's are matching the motors in confusion. I know all the stats needed.... for an electric plane, not heli.

What do you recommend for the lowest price? Any help I can get is much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM
zdad

Hello “Suhlerâ€
I have a MX-400 as well as a MX450, as well as a bunch of spear parts and upgrades and so on. Not that means I know how to fly them, but I only “badly crashed†the MX450 two times but only flue it about 20 times. The resend that I was able to set up and fly one at all was because of a site that I had found called “Heli Freak†I think. This man had made available what has to be the very best “How to Videos†that I’ve ever seen. He is well spoken, very knowledgeable, using clear English terms and explain what the terms mean. He has mad many, many short videos on a lot of subjects and on many different helicopters. I never seen any on the MX400 or the MX450 but there is a lot on the T-Rex 400/450 which are very close in design. I hope you find this of some help. Oh I almost forgot, He does it all for FREE!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
S_Dave

Hello, zdad and Suhler,

I've got a couple of the MX400 helis and they are my favorites. Tower Hobby has parts including a great Carbon Fiber frame and 120 deg CCPM upgrade kit. Parts are very cheap but running out slowly.
Motors: you can use the Align motors for T-Rex 450 and the basic motors work fine. Also, Hobby City has motors for the T-Rex that should work and are cheap.

The spec Futaba S3107 servos work well and are cheap but the HB65 servos are better if you have them.
You will want to cut abou 1/16" off the end of the tail rotor servo rod to make it center up correctly.

Hope this is helpful. Have fun with this great heli and Merry Christsmas to you both.
Cheers,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16950.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1705187  
Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Suhler

Dave, Zdad, thank you very much! I could not find the videos on Helifreak, but i did find a great forum.

Dave, you said you have a few MX400's? Could you tell me what esc, battery, motor, and gyro you are using? I think I'm going to get the S3107 servos, they are well made and cheap.

How would you recommend setting up the radio system for me to learn how to fly? I've been practicing on the simulator, but the real thing is MUCH different. Any flying tips for a new pilot?

Are there any tricks I should know about for assembly? Any tricks to really increase the preformance I should know about?
Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM
squawk7700

Hey Shuler, sorry I haven't jumped in on this blog but have been busy. I was going over some of my old websites I used when I flew my HeliMax 400/450's which is also the Ark X400. Many of the sites are gone and even the training video's are gone. I do have some video's I kept and some of the remaining websites I can send you. I just need to find your email address if it's in your profile or you can send it on this blog (if that's allowed).
Old 12-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Suhler

Thank you SOOO much! do you happen to remember your electronics setup? Or a good one I could use? I just don't know the good quality cheap brands for helicopters. I'm an airplane guy who has fiddled with a few small heli's :P I really want to get this thing airborne soon I'll PM you my e-mail.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
S_Dave

My MX400's use the basic Align T-Rex 450 motor and ESC and bolt right into the MX400 frame. You can get these on eBay or from some of the online stores (Ron Lund, HeliDirect, Tech Model Products, Esprit Model, etc.). Lots of guys upgrade their T-Rex 450 and sell the basic Motor, ESC for a good price.

I set up my heli based on Finless Bob's video "how to" guide which is here: http://www.helifreak.com/forumdispla...e1288033c&f=60 scroll down to find the setup video. He goes into great detail on how to do it.
I'm still learning so i don't use an aggressive 3D head set up but have the pitch set to -3 and +10 deg for 0 to 100% collective/throttle stick. Finless Bob describes how to do this.

A really great resource is Ray's HeliTech" http://www.rayshelitech.com/#/home where he offers a how to book and DVD's.
More later.
Cheers,

Dave
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Suhler

Ok,  I have an update. I've spent a good 3 hours looking at power setups and prices, and I want your opinion about some things. 

First, what I have found:

Servos:

Gyro:

ESC:

Motor:
I would need to get either an 8T or 9T pinion gear for the motor, right?

I also found this:

If I bought that, and I don't know the condition, I've already sent a message to the seller, and used one of the frames, and used the other one for parts, is it a good Idea? Is it worth it? It would save me a lot of money on parts and electronics, but should I just get the other components?

I still need a battery If I'm going to get the separate components.... What do you recommend for C rating?

And thanks for all the help!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Suhler

My search is over! I bought that e-bay helicopter to use the electronics from for less than the price of the servos and gyro combined. I just want to thaank everyone for the help! if you need any rc airplane help, just message me!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Suhler

Hey guys! I have an update and a few questions. I finally finished my college apps, so I've spent the whole weekend hitting the helicopter! I've figured out all of the mechanics, have installed everything, have all the servo's going the right way, ect... I have 2 frames, so I've taken the best and most upgraded parts from both of them and built one upgraded helli with plenty of spare parts laying around. Where the problem comes in is something that has me baffled. Here's my situation:

I have an AR7000 receiver that I know works perfectly with my DX7 transmitter. The ESC on the heli is the stock Heli-Max 25A ESC, and i have the stock 6-pole motor. They both work, and I've jerry-rigged a regulated power supply with a help of my electrical engineering friends to power the esc at a low amp load. however, there is a really odd comm error between the ESC and the receiver. When I supply power to the esc from the power supply OR when I plug the flight pack that came with the receiver into the battery plug on the receiver, an audible tone is played, indicating power to the ESC. At this point, the ESC does not allow the receiver to provide control inputs, I'm assuming for safety reasons for spinning rotors on start-up. Then a second tone is SUPPOSE TO PLAY, indicating control authority and allowing the receiver to respond to control inputs. 

However, this is not happening correctly. When I have all the servos plugged in, regardless of which power source I am using, the second tone won't play! the odd thing is, if I unplug one of the connections, or twist the cables in a certain way, the second tone plays, and I get controls! I've taken the receiver off of the heli, and tested it with some other servo's I had, and it preformed flawlessly! 

So, any ideas?! I can't figure it out! 

Past that, I just need programming help for the DX7. If someone has a setup for the DX7 using mccpm setup, that would be nice. Main problem, thought, is how do I need to set up the collective vs throttle? should the collective go on the throttle channel? What channel should each control be on? MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW do you suggest mixing the throttle vs collective so that i can set up the different flight modes? how do I set those up? 

Thank you all for your help with everything, just a little more to go! 

P.S. I will be meeting with a local heli person, who will help, but I need something to build off of, due to the short amount of time I will have with him. I would like to be at the tweaking and modifying stage by then, not the setup stage