Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Shaft Straightening?

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Shaft Straightening?

Old 11-22-2005, 11:17 PM
joffacn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaft Straightening?

I would like to know the best method(s) of straightening shafts, flybars etc..

I have main shafts with just a little bow. How to straighten?

I roll the shaft on glass and mark the point where it bows and the "high" point. I then place the shaft in the vice and use a bit of tubing over the shaft and bend back. Because it is "springy" it is difficult to know when and how much you have adjusted it.

I tend to see no change then try a bit more and then find I have it bent the other way.

Maybe the "bow" is already within the tolerance at ~1mm at the end with the curve basically from the mid-point of the shaft.

Anyway, I would like to hear of your methods.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Shaft Straightening?

An often effective method is to drill a long straight hole through a hard material (thick aluminum would probably work, I doubt wood would, unless it's a really hardwood like oak or hickory, then maybe). the exact same size as the shaft, then chuck the shaft up on the drill press and run it through your hole. Usually, with enough speed and persistence, this will straighten the shaft out.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Why not just buy a new shaft. Most of these parts are cheap. It might be easier to just replace it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Fecomosis

ya I just replace em.

I got a question.

I recently bought a few steal main shafts, but on my other heli it has a e-ring on it.
I remember when I got my aerohawk that it wasnt a steal main shaft with e-ring, just a regular. Now that I have the origionals, how does it stay on there with out sinking down?