Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Choosing a bird

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Choosing a bird

Old 12-23-2005, 01:50 PM
G.Fab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a bird

Hey everyone! I'm new here and pretty new to RC helis. In fact, I've never flown a REAL heli, just the 50 dollar toy dual blade dixie cup kind. I do, though, work at a hobby shop, so I have plenty of second hand knowledge and I've been into RC cars since I was 4 (15 years and counting) so I'm not a TOTAL beginner. I'm getting a little bored with cars right now, so I'm looking to slightly shift gears. We keep getting these nice new helis at work and they look like loads of fun. OK, now that that's out of the way, into the meat.

I'm looking for a good starter heli. I need something RTF that is somewhat aerobatic but still easy enough to learn on. I'm looking mainly at the Walkera helis, just because I like to be different and nobody here has them (everyone's got a Blade CX or CP or a Hirobo Skylama [whoever is in charge of marketing at Hirobo should be fired. The Skylama? C'mon. But I digress...]) or maybe an E-Sky. I've been taking a long, hard look at the DF 4, DF5 and DF22D because I can pick those up for relatively cheap. I was also considering the 35 or 36, too, but I was wondering if a 6CH was too advanced for me (it's OK, you can say yes if you want to ). Well, thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Shortymet55

Default RE: Choosing a bird

The fact that no one has Walkeras is a sign. Dont get them. Alot of people have issues. NOT ALL THOUGH. I suggest a E-sky HB CP2. The smart thing to do is get what most people have. Being differnt is not smart. First there are reasons why noone has them, and if you have issues how are people supposed to help if they dont own them. Again, very popular helis ar the CP2 and Blade CP. Or if you feel like spending alot more and haveing the MOST basic heli that isnt a toy get a Blade CX
Old 12-23-2005, 11:14 PM
WhtBronco

Actually I think the Blade CX is a great heli to learn with. On the other hand the Blade CP is a very tough heli to learn on. I have friends that have the 2. The guy with the CX is flying around a bit and having fun. The guy with the CP is frustrated and crashing every flight.

I fly a Raptor 50 and am going ot get a Blade CX soon to play with at work and in the house. I also plan to let my 8 year old daughter start flying helis with it.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Shortymet55

Good point there. If you want to save some money nad get a better heli off the bat, your gonna need to be VER patient. U need to use a sim and take a slow learnign curve. Otherwise, youll spend enough you could of gotten another heli.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 AM
edzinator

G Fab, I recommend the Hirobo XRB or e-flight CX. I have done the Walkera #4 and #36... the #4 was well kinda fun... the #36 was true teaching tool (i would have saved money buying a Trex) I now fly a sim and practice with my Trex 450x. The #36 did fly, but the electrics all one by one failed. It did also suffer many hard landings (crashes) and rebuilds. The best thing to do is get a XRB or CX and a quality sim, Reflex or Areofly pro, they will save you tons of money!

edz
Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I would suggest getting whatever you can get parts for locally, don't worry about if everyone else has the same thing, you can always customize.