Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hobby-Lobby's Revo CP Heli

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hobby-Lobby's Revo CP Heli

Old 01-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Reefpainter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby-Lobby's Revo CP Heli

Hey y'all!

New to the forum. I am looking for more information regarding the Revo CP. Does anyone have one that could give us a review? I am currently flying an E-Sky Honey Bee Mark 2 fixed pitch helicopter and I am wanting to get back to a collective pitch model ASAP. I flew a nitro Kyosho Concept 30 back in the late 80's and early 90's, then dropped out of flying until recently. Kids are teenagers now and I have more time. I thought electric would be the way to go getting back into RC again so I started with fixed pitch.

Right now I am seriously considering the Revo CP or the Heli-Max MX400 Pro.

If anyone can assist me with the pro's and con's (or point me in another direction) I would be grateful!

Thanks,

Doran
Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
DPKII
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobby-Lobby's Revo CP Heli

Doran,

It seems like reviews on the Hobby Lobby REVO are few and far between.

I have two of them. One is flying and the other still in the box.

They are very well built helis. The fit and quality of the parts is very good for a ARF heli. The control system is smooth with no binding right out of the box! I am currently building/debugging a MX400 for a clubmate. The quality of the parts (ball links, swashplate) on the REVO is much better. The MX does fly well but it took me a lot more work to make it so. The REVO is slightly smaller than the T-REX and MX 400 but the rotor diameter and tail length are about the same (looks identical by eyeballing them). The REVO is also a little lighter than the MX or Rex this gives it more climb performance but also wind effects it more.

Hobby Lobby has the REVO on sale and it is well worth the sale price. Parts are also cheap.

The REVO has a shaft drive tail but I have not had any problem with it or on my other helis. I do pay careful attention to gear mesh when building.

My other electric helis are: Hornet 1 fixed pitch, Hornet CP, Hornet 2.
Ones I have built or flown: Blade CP, MX400, T-Rex

David
Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Reefpainter

Thanks for your reply David. I am leaning toward the Revo, but the TRex is starting to peak my interest. I realize it is quite an advanced machine, but I do like the upgrade-ability. I would also like to invest in a heli that I can find a semi scale fuselage for.

Does anyone else have any opinions?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:52 PM
ec121

I just ordered a revo cp today. Couldn"t pass up the price. I plan on using it as a transitional machine moving up from a co co lama. Sport flying only. No 3d at this point. What is a good receiver and servos combo? I am going to use the JR8103 from my 33%Cap for the transmitter. I could have bought a Honey Bee Combo but decided to buy it by the piece instead(that way I can obsess over each part and stress myself over the decisions :-) ). Also is this a clone of any other machine or a different design?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
HP03 BlackHawk

Have you noticed how cheap their replacement parts are, and anything that will fit in a 4x4x4 box shipping is only $2.50 to USA...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Dave ESPI

link please.

I'm curious what model we are talking about.

What is it based on ?

PS: I have a Blade CP, and love it
Old 01-27-2006, 01:12 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/revo.htm

I think it's like the shogun but I haven't really compared them so I don't know.

I've been planning on getting a new copter myself and have been bouncing back and forth between the HB king, Revo, and T-rex. I may go ahead and get the Revo since it's on sale, $90 is too cheap to pass up [X(]

Does anybody happen to know how much longer it will be on sale? A guy is supposed to be buying one of my cars for $150 but I probably wont get the money for it until next friday.

I already have more than enough money to cover the Revo but will be ordering a new brushless ESC for one of my cars tommorow night, which is gonna leave me with nothing but the quarters in my slot machine [] .
Old 01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I just got my Revo in the air today (hovering , trimming & so forth) & so far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm using there recomended motor & speed control. The motor is only $39 so you cant beat that for brushless if it will hold up. Since I only have 1320 lipos instead of 2100's I use the super slim 8ch Hitec Rx. to make things balance out & I think I'll be able to leave it in there once the 2100's get here because its right on the verge of being tail heavy. As for servos the LHS had the new eflight micros for $12 so that works for me as well.

Does anyone know the size of the blades on this thing or from what point to point you measure to get it. Hobby Lobby doesnt say for the replacements but dosent offer any in CF & would like to get something besides wood.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 AM
DPKII

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

I am using a JR8103 with the R700 reciever. Motor, Speed control, and HiTech servos just as Hobby Lobby recomends. Futaba gyro. Seems to work well.

As for blade size. I have not measured them, but I am working on a MX400 and the blades look to be about the same size. The MX400 does have wider grips so the blades have plastic spacers. Hobby Lobby does have a set of carbon blades available for the REVO.

All in all I am very pleased with the REVO.

David

Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
rsrogers

Missed the carboones on the site I'll have to look again!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Reefpainter

From the looks of it, most everyone is happy with their Revo helicopter. That's great to hear!

I purchased my Esky Honeybee Mark II from Hobby-Lobby and I have found them to be extremely helpful and easy to do business with. I have compared the Revo and the Evo Flight Shogun and found many similarities. It seems, however, that the Revo has more upgrades like a fiberglass frame instead of plastic. Can anyone tell me if the scale Hughes 500 made for the Shogun could be adapted to the Revo? Aren't they both 400 size heli's? (Maybe someone could explain the size denominations to me!) I was also hoping to be able to upgrade the swashplate and rotor head components to aluminum, but I can't find upgrade parts for the Revo yet. Too new?

Anyway, for the price and value of the Revo combo, I think it is hard to beat.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions.

Doran
Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Chipmunk2k

Hobby-Lobby has the Revo on sale for $49! and the Red Brushless motor for $24.

Got both for $81 shipped. Not to shabby.

- Matthew
Old 02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Reefpainter

Wow Matthew!

Such a deal! I hope it is still on sale in March when I plan to get mine.

I spoke to Hobby-Lobby and found out that the Revo CP is their own brand manufactured for them specifically. Judging from the components, they have done their homework. Customer service said that if things keep going as well for this heli as they have been, aftermarket hop-ups will become available. They said that we would find out about them first on the Hobby-Lobby website. They also indicated that there may be a kit available soon to swap out the shaft driven tail rotor to a belt drive. This should make some people happy.

Stupid question time. When someone changes to a new helicopter, should he start over with training gear until he is comfortable with the new machine? I tend to think that you would be better off with setup and trim without the gear, and just take it slow until your comfort level increases. Does anyone have an opinion? I am going from a fixed pitch Honey Bee to the collective Revo.

Thanks,
Doran
Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
ec121

Hobby-lobby has sold out of the Revos. Say they can't get them anymore so they cleared them out. They will keep the spare parts on hand.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Reefpainter

Well...It's true. The company that made the Revo Heli went under. Hobby-Lobby said they are embarassed about the situation since this was such a good little machine. [&o]

What a shame...off to find the next one I may be interested in. Any suggestions?

-Doran
Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
dale.jones

I got one of the $49 ones way back when and have decided to start putting it together. How are everyones holding up? Also, looking to stock up on spare parts... What are the common things to get for this heli?
Thanks,
Dale
Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 AM
rsrogers

ORIGINAL: dale.jones

I got one of the $49 ones way back when and have decided to start putting it together. How are everyones holding up? Also, looking to stock up on spare parts... What are the common things to get for this heli?
Thanks,
Dale
Pretty Stable little heli. In spares I would stock up on tail gears. Keep the tail blades kinda loose because one touch on the grass seems to strip the gears. Theres a belt up grade but I cant seem to ever get one.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
I've had a Shogun and now have the revo and a T-Rex. The Revo and Shogun look like twins to me. The tail gears and main gears need an upgrade. I'd stick with those only. The main rotors need to be lose as they self center. Tight, and the heli won't fly very well if at all. The belt upgrade works but I found that the Shogun and Revo can break a bank account in no time. The T-Rex is coming out with an ARF model at a great price. The one I have came as a kit. A gazillion pieces to put together. But it is far superior to the Revo twins. Fly the Revo and then get the T-Rex. It's a larger, meaner machine. Better quality and very good manufacturer response. Parts aren't hard to get get upgrades are everywhere and not always needed. Belt drive too. I don't mean to badmouth the Revo just want others to avoid some of the mistakes I made. And the proof of quality of the T-Rex is in the pudding. They win competitions repeatedly. Consider the gear upgrades, fly it and when the bank account (Wifey) says it's a go, get the Rex.
Hazy
Old 06-18-2006, 07:13 PM
rsrogers

I have 2 Trexes (XL & SE) & while they are good little machines to get the better bang for the buck check out the Swift from Century. There newest version has "weeded" out all the earler problems ( just like trexes had when they first came out) and crashes are CHEAP! You can get a decient combo from Century for around $525 http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=333 that includes the kit, motor, speed control & a 4 cell LiPo. The Trex SE kits with motor & speed control are down to around $450 but when you add such as a 4 cell pack it puts you over what the Swift costs and the Swift uses more affordable standard servos. Check out the price of replacement parts as well. I think I could crash this twice for what my last SE crash cost me! Another plus is this machine is closer to a 30 size machine and bigger flies better!
Dont get me wrong I like the Revo & love the Trex but I'm selling the SE to get one of the Swifts. I'll keep the Xl Trex & the Revo around to play with out in the yard but its looking like the Swift is the way to go for me.

Just food for thought to ponder on,
Steve
Old 06-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Loubud

I've heard much good about the Century. Align is coming out with a 30 and 50 size. Should be interesting as to how they do.
I think buying a good tx and then adding your own electrics is a better deal than RTF. But sometimes they come with a good radio..
WWW.Warbirds.com has some mean mutha motors. Check out the outrunners and power required. Fantastic.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:20 PM
credence

Align's T-rex 600 which is a true .50 size (in terms of rotor diam.) would be alot better than a Swift if a big helicopter is what you want to get. Batteries will cost a bit more, but performance and stability will be alot better, and the kit, with ESC, motor and external BEC is $500. That's a pretty hard price to beat for a .50 size electric.

The T-rex 600 is my next bird, it looks so darn sweet . Besides, it can't be that bad if Alan and Danny szabo are flying it for Align now..

Loubud, where did you hear Align is coming out with a .30 size?

Or are they just going to cut down the 600 with a shorter boom and main blades to make it a .30 size? Would definately make it's power requirements a whole lot more affordable.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Loubud

I saw it a short time ago at Runryder.com. I don't remember if it was in the planning stage or what. Also for the Revo flyers. Runryder has some good info on parts and upgrades. It was a world of help to me.
The last competition I read was the Rex in 1st and 2nd place. My flying skills stink so I'll never be in one but can attest that the Revo and the other twins need a bunch of bucks to do what the company said they would do. Keep it cheap and simple and you'll love it. A good head- lock gyro helps the learning curve.
If my heli skills were better i would have seriously considered the Century but being the RC addict i am, I like stuff that does tricks and does them well. Doesn't mean i can do them, it's the thought that counts. A large size Align is going to be hard to beat. Align is very quick to upgrade and include the upgrades in the heli. They seem to make small batches and when an improvement is needed, they are installed in the heli imediately. Gotta like guys that do that.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 AM
bitikofl

I've been flying a Revo CP since April and have an a fair amount of trouble with stripped t/r gears. If the gear alignment is perfect they seem to work fine until you touch a blade of grass with the t/r. Also the t/r assembly doesn't fit the t/r boom very well. From the factory they had a ring of tape on the boom to make the fit tighter. I put a coat of CA around the boom and that seems to work much better.

I just got a belt drive upgrade from www.helidirect.com for $29.99, (they have them on sale right now marked down from $65. This belt drive is for a Shogun but I was able to get it to fit. The major thing I had to do was to make the t/r gear a little narrower to fit inside the t/r gear box. Other than that everything fit. The kit was missing some screws and small washers but I was able to adapt other hardware to fit. I had to make some small spacers for the idler pulleys from tubing. I flew a few times last evening and it really seems to work well. I was not able make the elevator crank set fit though. The elevator control arms are the wrong length, though the original ones do fit the bearings and would work in the new frame. The biggest problem is that the center pivot bearings won't fit and I couldn't figure out any way to adapt it. Overall though I think it was worth the $30. I have a lot more confidence in the t/r system.