Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Is this heli any good for beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Is this heli any good for beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:45 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this heli any good for beginner?

They have lots of different model and rc paint available, but I just used some left over Krylon enamel on this one, I wet sanded the canopy with 800 to insure good adhesion, I know the adhesion is strong, because I had to tape off the window to paint it black and used just regular 3m masking tape and it didn't peel off the paint which is a good sign, yea, as far as Rc stuff, I'm used to the clear lexan which is painted underneath, BTW, I wonder why they don't make canopy's out of clear lexan?? Well I wasn't really concerned too much on this body because I know I'll just bust this one up anyway.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:45 PM
astronut30

Hoverup, Do you know who may carry that E voyager landing gear besides, Horizon, Rofee tv, and E hobbies? I've contacted them and they do not have it in stock. I did order aluminum skids for the landing gear though at Horizon, couldn't resist. But I really want to order that landing gear and don't want to wait till March, so if you have any idea who may have it, I'd appreciate suggestions. Thank You very much.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Try here:

http://www.hobbyclub.com/framespage.htm

Hobby Club
P.O.BOX 6004
SAN CLEMENTE, CA. 92674 - U.S.A.
Toll Free(Orders only,please) (866)739-5026

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-04-2003, 07:43 AM
astronut30

Thank You, I will give them a shout.........
Old 02-06-2003, 05:26 PM
alzhar

hi all,

What paint do i need for the crutch?
they recomend airplane dope, where can i get it?

thanks
Old 02-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Hoverup

I'm pretty sure that their recommendation is a left-over from the days when they sold nothing but glow powered LMH 110's. Use any kind of paint you want. You don't have to worry about glow fuel saturating your crutch! Ain't E-power great? Get some Krylon or WalSmart enamel in a color you like and shoot 3-4 light coats and then let it sit untouched for a day or two (This is the hardest part - Keeping hands off until the paint has cured). The only reason beyond cosmetic is to weather/water seal the plywood for the long haul. If you are going to fly brushed motors (Fusion 7/Atomic Force or whatever) I suggest a dark color so the dust from the brushes going away doesn't show up so much on your pride and joy.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
alzhar

Just unpacked my radio... (HITEC)
why there is 8 channels reciever for
4 channel radio?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Hoverup

Don't really know, but I bet they plan on selling you a new Tx sometime in the future.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-06-2003, 11:37 PM
u8at711
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cornona in the near future

Looks like I should get a corona as a good second heli for learning purposes, but I have a few questions
1. can it be upgraded to CP
2. what kind of servos are needed, is standard size ok? or must be mini or micro?
3. a 7 cell sub-c pack will do?
4. Is there a space for an on board RX pack

I'm only looking for the basic kit for now, roffee has the best $ I seen is this correct..............
Old 02-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Hoverup

Default Re: Cornona in the near future

Originally posted by u8at711
Looks like I should get a corona as a good second heli for learning purposes, but I have a few questions
1. can it be upgraded to CP - not easily/only a few experimenters around that have done it
2. what kind of servos are needed, is standard size ok? or must be mini or micro? - better off with Hitec HS-85 or 81's
3. a 7 cell sub-c pack will do? Works for me - best duration/flight time so far from Sanyo 2600 NiMh seven cell packs
4. Is there a space for an on board RX pack - not sure what you mean - if you are talking about a battery for the rcvr then the BEC ckt in the ESC should be used again to limit all up weight. There is room on the chassis though.

I'm only looking for the basic kit for now, roffee has the best $ I seen is this correct.............. I haven't found anyone to beat Mike Roffee's prices.

Cheers - Boyd
Old 02-07-2003, 01:15 AM
astronut30

Hey thanks Boyd, Mike contacted me the other day and said he found a E Voyager LG, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'll probably wait till I'm able to hover stabily until I put it on. Whew, this is very challenging, especially since it's been pretty windy almost everyday since I was able to practice. I'm still waiting on my sim too, can't wait to get that so I can get more practice time in. The GWS gyro seems to work pretty good, I wanted better tail control though, there were a couple I was thinking of, the gy240 that u recommend and I might be able to get a good deal on a JR 410 which also has the tail lock feature, could you tell me what that feature entails? Also, have you heard anything about the JR 410? Oh yea, one more thing, the FMS sim, I been messing with that one in the meantime, while I'm waiting for my G2 Lite to come in, is it just me or does that sim stink real bad? It doesn't seem realistic at all, it's super easy to hover and the response is really bad in my opinion. I know nothing will be like the real thing but I hope the G2 is 20 times better than that sim because that FMS sim sucks in my opinion, I'd be better off just practicing with my heli, I understand that it's a free sim, that one is the first I ever tried and it just is leaving a bad taste in my mouth, that's all. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Hoverup

Go to: http://www.littlerotors.com/whatyouneed/gyro.asp for Gyro 101(no tuition).

I have had no experience with JR electronics so maybe somebody that has can chime in here and answer that question.

BTW - Avoid the wind until you have a little more stick time on your Corona. One thing common to all FP helis, the wind can catch the rotor disc and put you at an uncomfortable altitude quicker than an express elevator in the Sears Tower. And then just as quickly, it can drop you like a bad habit. If you don't have brushless responsive power on tap and some second nature stick reflexes.............it can get ugly fast. Have fun. Safe Flying!

Cheers - Boyd;
AMA 80393
Old 02-07-2003, 06:47 AM
astronut30

alright, cool info, thanks yet again..... You know, I wish I talked to you before I ordered my kit and ordered stuff seperately like you advised others, seems like I'm going to be changing everything anyway, I'm already looking for another gyro with tail lock or head hold feature. Everything else is cool though so far, but from what I hear it won't be long before I need a new motor.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 AM
AdamFly

I have one of the Velocity Vouger-30CVF from RCVelocity, for some reason people say Electric helicopters are hard to fly !, but I found it is much fun and really easy specially when you fly them around the hose or indoor from one room to another, or even test your skills by landing accurately on a side table or so..

Check the Velocity Vouger-30CVE Electric (with Radio) for $279.00 at RCVelocity www.rcvelocity.com or direct at http://helis.rcvelocity.com

I have to adit that I crashed it many time in the beginning because I had no idea about flying Electric helicopter, however my Velocity Vouger-30CVF is still flying fine with no even need to replace one part!

There are three models:

Velocity Vouger-30AVE Electric (with Radio)
Velocity Vouger-30BVE Electric (with Radio)
Velocity Vouger-30CVE Electric (with Radio)
Old 02-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Hoverup

Oh no, :stupid: run for your lives it's the dreaded Piccolo imposter, "Captain FEDA/EP Handy/Skylark/Farfarnugen/Hummingbird/Velocity Vouger". Where in the H*LL did this post come from?? Maybe It's Chris in drag. I will say this, it is really subtle!!!!!!

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-07-2003, 09:01 AM
astronut30

hahah

??

So , I've done some research on some reviews and it looks like the JR's aren't to good and the gY 240 just has some great reviews so it looks like I'm ordering me one of those, So I have to mount that one horizontally huh?

BTW, Hoverup, your avatar, is that an actual pic of one of your heli's, I must say, that's an awesome pic!
Old 02-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Hoverup

My avatar is a full scale (1"= 1") Hughes 300 pic that I found while drilling & digging on the net with Google. It reminds me of Saturday nights at the Pass Christian Yacht club tossing back some premium scotch, enjoying a good meal and watching the sun drop into the Gulf of Mexico........ahhhh, life is good!!

Yup, the GY-240 mounts with it's ckt boards parallel to the skids/earth. Some of us have crafted platforms from the ply scrap that's left over from the crutch to mount the gyro aft of the main rotor shaft away from the other electrical/electronic stuff. Separation is the friend of the glitch/ RF interference Police.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53387_13494.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	27197  
Old 02-07-2003, 06:37 PM
alzhar

it is a good idea . here is a picture of it.
http://www.springeraviation.net/gyro_bed.html
Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
alzhar

Just started working on a crutch.
do servo screws shoud stick out on the other side of the keel?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Hoverup

Sure do.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:37 AM
astronut30

Oh man, the Gy 240 is great! I can hover 4 times longer with this gyro than with that GWS one. Maybe even more, with my first flight with it, I had a controlled hover and was holding it within about a 5-6 feet range for over 25 seconds and could've held a lot longer but a gust of wind hit it and I ended up hitting a garbage bag full of rubbish, when it hit, the bag pieces were flying everywhere and it was loud, I thought I broke my blades and some other things for sure. When I picked it up, the only thing that was wrong was a Z clip came off. You gotta love this heli!

Hey Hoverup, It didn't say on the instructions, but when I'm in head hold mode and I used the control to move the tail into different directions, does it then move the neutral position to wherever I end it up on? Or once you set head hold mode, it just locks in that position only and always go back into the original position? I didn't really get to experiment with it, I was just hovering in one position for now, LOL. I know in the instructions it said that if you move the trim it will move the neutral position but I wanted to know if the control moves it also. Plus, I'm not sure if it is natural but the tail does seem to drift slightly sometimes but it's no big deal at all, I'm very happy with it, I have it set at roughly 70% gain right now.

I know it's kinda too late, but I just realized that my gyro is a little close to the rotor assembly, do you think the location is pretty safe?

Name:	53795_18125.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	27198  
Old 02-09-2003, 03:38 AM
Hoverup

HH function trys to maintain the heading you last commanded from the Tx. This is how it compensates for wind and hard and fast maneuvers. There is a primer on the differences between rate gyros(like the PG-03) and HH gyros on the Futaba instuction sheet that came with your GY-240. I think you may want to lower the gyro platform down to where it's just above the tail boom. As high as you have it, it's possible during a hard landing (a.k.a. crash) that the Subrotor assy may clean your gyro right off the platform. I took the liberty of moding your posted pic to explain.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393

Name:	53832_13494.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	27199  
Old 02-09-2003, 05:32 AM
astronut30

Ok, thanks for that info, that is kind of a bad angle of the pic, I think it should be clear, but then again, I'm not sure what kind of angles the sub rotors are capable of in a crash. here's a side angle pic.

Aww man, I'm so excited I feel like a little kid, that gyro really helped me a lot, I just finished with my second pack since the new gyro and luckily it was pretty calm with just light winds and I kept the Corona in the air for the whole battery! I'm still working on staying within a few feet range though, but I could stay within like 5'x5' for like 20 to 30 seconds at a time before light winds drift me like 10-15' and I have to resettle myself, but I experienced what you were saying too about winds lifting and dropping you, I had up to a very uncomfortable 15-20 feet in the air at one point, luckily it was only very light winds pulling me and I didn't panic, and slightly let off the throttle till I came back down to where I feel comfortable around 5-6' now, but if I'm not careful even dropping the throttle one notch at a time, the heli comes down fast! Well, let me know what you think about my gyro location and if you still feel it's not good, I'll attempt to move it, it's gonna be tough because I CA'd that sucker solid, plus I cut the crutch too like Alzhar's mod. Oh, and do I still need the foam if I'm using the velcro? Wouldn't the velcro act as a cushion to reduce vibrations? Just curious, eliminating the foam would even bring my gyro down a bit.......

Name:	53865_18125.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	27200  
Old 02-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Hoverup

It's your call. I would hate to see you change a thing since you are having the "RUSH" of those first good flights.

Do this. Depress one side of the subrotor as far down as it will go and then rotate it through it's natural arc. When you get to the point where the subrotor intercepts the gyro case, imagine the power of that gear-driven mechanism thrashing the gyro in a crash. Not a pretty thought. Not inexpensive either. The platform can be loosened with a heat gun. Remove the gyro from the platform and then wrap everything in heavy aluminum foil in the vicinity to protect it from the heat. CA does not like heat and the joint should let go cleanly.

Relocate the platform down and aft until it is only just above the tailboom but not touching it. Remount the gyro with new adhesive foam. Go fly.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-09-2003, 11:22 PM
astronut30

Yea, I should move it, better to be safe than sorry, I'd hate to lose that gyro prematurely. I don't have a heat gun, but I'm going to try a blow dryer, I hope it'll get it hot enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.