Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 3D flying

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 3D flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
budzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon 3D flying

Alright, now that the Falcon 3D from Hobby Lobby has been out for a while, i would like to ask all pilots who fly them if they are really 3D capable with the stock setup. Or is the stock setup trash, maybe the whole heli is garbage. Please tell me all the pluses and minuses of this helli. THANKS ALL I APPRECIATE THE HELP.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:29 AM
choppersrule

Default RE: Falcon 3D flying

budzo,

It's a great heli and is very capable of 3D flying.

Goto the following link and see what it's all about.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44...tm.htm#4436222

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 PM
budzo

have you ever flown one?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:39 PM
choppersrule

Budzo,

I have five helis and the Falcon is the best of them all. It's much easier to fly than the Blade CP. But you have to be careful if your a beginner. It has awesome power. See picture, 2 Blade CX's, Blade CP, Coco Lama, and the Falcon.

The picture isn't that good, but you'll get the idea. The Falcon is in the middle, as you can see, it's much bigger than the others.

Dave / Choppersrule
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21311.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	513988  
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

I am no expert on Heli 3D, I am just a beginner when it comes to Helis. However, I can tell you this is a powerful bird.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
thecheatscalc

interesting comparison picture! I had thought it was bigger... Really it seems it's just taller than the blade, and a tad longer.

also, budzo, in my "experience" of flying heli's, if they say they're 3D capable, they are, and they usually work quite well at it too! HOWEVER, to do 3D requires a good bit of power, and, if as AGR413 says it being quite powerful already, then yes, it should have no problems preforming light to medium 3D.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:38 PM
budzo

sweet i can't wait to buy mine now. but just one more question, are there any weak points i should be aware of?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
AGR413

Ok, minus points so far:

1. Some folks have had small issues with the servos, or should I say the gyro. I personally think a good heli mechanic can iron this out shortly. I am not. I am just getting started.

2. The simulator that comes with the bird is much, much easier than the real thing.

3. Lots of plastic on this bird, but for as much power and functionality right out of the box can you really complain?

4. The gyro switch on the controller seems to do nothing at all?...go figure...can anyone correct me on this?

5 The largest complaint I have it that parts are mail order and some have been on backorder....I need lots of parts...hmmmm tells me somethig.

Oh and FYI I have been substituting some parts with Align parts (I believe they are for the TREX), but I am talking about like ball links and such.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:58 PM
evoIX

i;ve been wondering myself what kind of parts can be used on the falcon
Old 09-04-2006, 01:47 PM
SkyUp

Your worries are over Evo ... check out the Beginner's Forum for an in depth answer to that very question ...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also bought a Falcon today......or its called a "hurricane". Looks like the same ship, just with carbon blades as standard.
My rotor head was not assembled 100% correctly, but i adjusted it, and seems to hover fine. I need to take it outside, as space is limited in my living room

Old 12-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Nevermore74

evoIX and budzo- There are several T-rex parts that can be used on the Falcon and are in my opinion better than the stock ones. Check my blog on my profile for what parts and where to get them. Before upgrading my Falcon the most common parts I went through were the tail grips and main blades and the spindle shaft. This is my first heli and I have upgraded it quite a bit. I havent done 3d flying yet, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is very capable of it right out of the box. Just make sure you listen to people like Skyup, Choppersrule and Gary Morris for info on preflighting and what to do with it right out of the box! Theses guys saved me a lot of down time with their previous posts!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
DarkSide41

ORIGINAL: budzo

Alright, now that the Falcon 3D from Hobby Lobby has been out for a while, i would like to ask all pilots who fly them if they are really 3D capable with the stock setup. Or is the stock setup trash, maybe the whole heli is garbage. Please tell me all the pluses and minuses of this helli. THANKS ALL I APPRECIATE THE HELP.
I have a small [link=http://fantasiesonwheels.com/Web%20Pages/Falcon.htm]Falcon page HERE[/link] that you may be interested in reading . I'm not into 3D but it has plenty of power and has proven to be a durable little bird . I've had various small mishaps and 2 full blown slam into the ground crashes and it's never cost me more than $30 to get it back going . I've never had any electronic problems and the stock servos/gyro are still on my bird . I did get a better radio set after 3 months but the stock TX was certainly good enough while learning how to hover . I'm not sure how well the stock Tx would do for 3D but I've read several post from guys that have done it . I think it is one of the best deals for the $$ out there .

EDIT: Damn , just noticed this is an old thread...oh well
Old 12-23-2007, 01:05 PM
ursatek

I have had a major crash and have let my falcon set up for months waiting on aluminum replacement parts, the last of which being the linkages which fit the upgraded aluminum components. Finally got the linkages but Ha! Ha!... I can't remember how to replace the linkages. Is there a document showing the linkage connections and main rotor pitch initial setup? I'm lost... I'm a newbie and have had to completely rebuild this chopper. I have more money in replacement parts than I spent on the original machine. It still won’t fly but damn is it pretty. As it is now assembled, in normal mode, as throttle/ pith is applied the action is reversed (eg. pitch is negative) please help.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
chickenfart

You may have the 3d switch in the wrong position, be careful with that switch, diconnect your motor before switching it and check what happens to the pitch.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
robp

I just bought used flacon 3d and am doing the upgrades to it now. I would like to use my JR tx on it was wondering were get the crystal for the rec. to do this. I have checked it all out and not sure about mix sw on the tx. On normal get plane tr servo and throttle mix and in mix just rudder only. Also any got data on how to make ch5 work on the gain and not just dummy sw.

Thanks RP
Old 03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
mlreynolds55

I just purchased the Falcon 3d SE. I locked it down on my work bench to test it and I am glad I did. I am hoping someone can help me with this. When I turn off the transmitter, all the servos come on and off in a jerking motion and then the blades started running full force for about 5 seconds then stops on and off. In other words it is trying to fly itself. Is there something I am missing like a special setting on the transmitter? HELP
Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Kaelan

never turn off your transmitter with the battery connected to your heli. the receiver will either continue with the last command it was given, do whatever it wants or if your radio has a failsafe it will do what the failsafe tells it. if you got a RTF heli, then you have no failsafe on the falcon and it will do whatever it wants to do.

when getting ready to fly, transmitter goes on first, throttle in lowest position throttle hold on. THEN connect the battery.
when done flying, disconnect the battery in the heli, then turn off the transmitter.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
stanza

I learned that lesson of never plugging in the battery until the transmitter is on with my falcon 3d SE. It can take off with instant full power so quick that you won't get the battery unplugged fast enough. The motor can accelerate so hard from a standstill that it can actually damage things like gears and even break the drive shaft running to the tail gearbox. Not to mention the possible injury- I got a whallop on my arm that has made me never forget that the TX always goes on first!