Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Old 01-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

hello all
I was just wondering what you get for flight times out of the stock batteries for the F40, and what one could expect to get with superskids on that same stock helo and batt?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: therick04pp

hello all
I was just wondering what you get for flight times out of the stock batteries for the F40, and what one could expect to get with superskids on that same stock helo and batt?
Not sure about the superskids but on a standard nnimh with stock heli, I get about 8-10 minutes of hovering.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM

i havent tried yet but as soon as they start failing i will try hitec and im telling you, if the 4 in 1 fails i wont hesitate to use a futaba or jr one and maybe that way the heli will stop the glitchy behavior

super skids on the way!!!

and 1200 mah lipo on the way too, i will use it with my blade cx too, smart huh??
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 PM

thanks DDay, appreciate it. My son is nine years old and saved up his allowance to buy this for me for my birthday! what a good kid lol. I heard about the superskids so i ordered them they should be here by monday. i have some experience flying the coaxiel heli's and some other micro birds as well. Any advice you may have about this heli before i fly her?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Hey Doomsday, your actually lucky! I lost one of my bearings in the crash. Now I have to place another order. I'll see If I can get Falcon parts somewhere other than Raidentech. (Still can't believe they gave me one bad servo when I ordered/paid for two good servos! [:@] )

I found a servo that may work well with the Falcon: Multiplex USA Nano S servo. (Part of Hitech.) I'll try it!

About Lipo safety, you don't need to worry that much. I mean, I still charge my Lama's in a special steel case I made at school, but if you use protective circuitry, there shouldn't be any trouble. Most portable electronics have a Lipo in it now. (ex. cell phones)
Old 01-11-2007, 08:34 PM

makatron, I'll wait to hear from you before I order a new brand of servo.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 PM

j-cube
im actually doing a little research to see which servo will fit the heli plus a lil stronger, im fed up of this ones

give me a day or two cause im finishing a website and the php in it is giving me a hard time and my boss is not having good days lol
but i will keep you posted, but the only thing i can tell you is that i want branded servos even if i have to put few extra bucks to get reliables ones

HOOAH
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM

[link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_139&products_id=2467]Here's[/link] the link for the rotor head bearings. I'm looking at a way to secure these suckers so they don't pop off in a hard landing.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Falcon 40 Pilots,

I just received my Falcon 40 today. I want to use the FMS sim before I actually fly my new heli. I cannot get the transmitter to talk to the computer. I have an XP machine.

I have installed PPjoy, but I'm not sure if it is correct.

Can anyone help??

Thanks

A10bolt
Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TitaniumZX

[link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_139&products_id=2467]Here's[/link] the link for the rotor head bearings. I'm looking at a way to secure these suckers so they don't pop off in a hard landing.
I have an improvised solution I use for when a bearing pops out on a rough landing (pronounced "KRASH"). I have a rectangular
neodymium magnet about 3" long and when I crash and think the bearing has popped out, I leave the heli in the same spot , unplug the battery, and go inside the house and get my strong magnet. I then drag the magnet all over the scene of the crash ([:@] ) and usually after a while the tiny bearing is stuck to the magnet. SOofar this has saved me several times. If you dont have a neo magnet, you could use the huge magnet off of a blown loudspeaker as well. The bigger the better!!!

I did see a post in the DF4 forum about someone rigging a improvised bearing retainer using a straight pin... Not sure when though.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Robo, that's a good tip and wished I would have done that with my last incident. Unfortunately I moved the heli and never found the bearing. I ordered two sets and will definitely look into rigging something to keep them from popping off.

A tip for all you new pilots out there, when you order parts, go ahead and get extras parts because shipping suck. The bearings are like $3.50 but shipping is $5.50. I went ahead and got extra blades, flybar, links, tail motor, main motor, ball link pliers, and some hex drivers and shipping was still $5.50.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Titanium;

Look back at an earlier post, I lost my rotor head bearings also, but was lucky to find it. Take a small straight pin and nip off the head. bend one end at 90 degrees just long enough to match the radius of the bearing dia. Pass the pin thru both bearings and bend a 90 at the other end, both bearings should be trapped by this wire. You will need to take a dremmel tool and cut a narrow groove across the webs of the rotor head that snaps over the bearings so the wire has a place to go. I have not lost a bearing since, but of course I now have spares on hand that I ordered before I thought of the wire idea.

Airshot
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the tips, Airshot. Do you have any photos so I can get a better understanding.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Well my falcon came in the mail yesterday from Xheli. Everything looked good in the box. I followed the directions and made sure everything was level and even. All i had to do was level the flybar paddels and lossen the blades where they swivel. I ordered the training gear too and installed them. I had a succesfull hover out side today in the back yard, the wind was calm. Its has been a while since iv been on the sticks of a heli so im very pore, i need alot of sim time. I can say that im very pleases so far with this heli, all parts seem to be good quality for the price. I highly recomend the training gear as they make a big improvment in stability and would save alot of rotor damage in tip overs. Ill make anouther post after a few more flight... Tony
Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Sorry I am not that computor skilled to send photos yet. However let me try to explain better... snap off the rotor head so the rotor core with bearings are exposed. Pass a small wire (from straight pin) all the way thru both bearings, then bend a 90 on each end of the wire. The bearings cannot come off the rotor head core this way. Before you snap the rotor head back on you must cut a small groove in the walls of the rotor head to clear this wire you just installed thru the bearings. The bearings typically rest against this wall when snapped over them and room for this wire must be cleared away. On my falcon I used a rotary blade on a dremmel tool to make a narrow slice thru both end caps and center section of rotor head. this rotor head has popped off many times in crashes and the bearings stay on the rotor head core. I hope this helps, as a tool maker by trade, making things is easy, its these high tech computor gizmos that scare me.

Airshot
Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Hey guys,
My falcon 40 should come sometime next week so i'm pretty happy
so i was wondering if I sould do anything to prepare my self for my first flight.(any tips on hovering would be appreciated!)
Thanks,
R/Cfantic889
Old 01-12-2007, 10:16 PM

I got the SIM to work with the supplied cable and ppjoy. Next...is the sim realistic? The transmitter seems very sensitive. Very small input from the transmitter is all that is needed to make corrections.

How long did it take before you could stay in a consistent hover with the sim?

I guess as soon as I can hover with out crashing, I'll start training on the actual heli.

Thanks

A10bolt
Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM

R/Cfantic889 Depending on how much heli exp you have. Id ADVISE you get some training gear. and if you cant practise outside on a calm day then make sure you have plenty of room indoors. One tip a can give is when you first spool the rotors up the heli might shake quit vergerously. The shakeing should go away if you power it on up. And you should have to loosen the rotors up so they can ballance ther self out, I had to do that and iv read alot of post on here where ppl said the blades where to tight out of the box. Im thinking about putting a pin through the rotor bearings like airshot just posted, iv seen that on previous post and it sure will save you time looking for or ordering new bearings when your rotor head pops off. I cant think of any more tips at the moment but ill say it agen.. Training gear.... good luck

Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 PM

How did you get the sim to work with the cable? R u talking about FMS? Could you please post some instructions on this thanks A10bolt
ORIGINAL: a10bolt

I got the SIM to work with the supplied cable and ppjoy. Next...is the sim realistic? The transmitter seems very sensitive. Very small input from the transmitter is all that is needed to make corrections.

How long did it take before you could stay in a consistent hover with the sim?

I guess as soon as I can hover with out crashing, I'll start training on the actual heli.

Thanks

A10bolt
Old 01-13-2007, 12:49 AM

TonyWayne,

After searching the forum, I found that the key is the proper configuration of com1 port. I have a windows XP machine, and you need to go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ports/com1.

The port settings that worked for me are:

bits per second: 19200
data bits: 8
parity: None
stop bits: 1
flow control: Hardware

Next go to the advanced tab and uncheck Use FIFO Buffers.

If you have any sync'ing software running like hotsync for a palm device, you must exit that software, and also end the process in the Task Manager process list.

Good luck!!

A10bolt
Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 AM

Still no luck im running xp and configured my comport like you said. Theres gota be somthing im doing rong somewhere. Iv configured my joystick in ppjoy and downloaded smartpropoplus do i need propoplus? And finaly what do you select in the controls opion in FMS? javascript:void(opener.AddText('[sm\=drowning.gif]'));self.focus();
ORIGINAL: a10bolt

TonyWayne,

After searching the forum, I found that the key is the proper configuration of com1 port. I have a windows XP machine, and you need to go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager/ports/com1.

The port settings that worked for me are:

bits per second: 19200
data bits: 8
parity: None
stop bits: 1
flow control: Hardware

Next go to the advanced tab and uncheck Use FIFO Buffers.

If you have any sync'ing software running like hotsync for a palm device, you must exit that software, and also end the process in the Task Manager process list.

Good luck!!

A10bolt
[sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif]
Old 01-13-2007, 01:36 AM

oooops didnt meen to paste that javascript there.... sorry
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 PM

TonyWayne,

I did not use smartpropoplus. Did you leave ppjoy running in the background or did you exit the program? ppjoy needs to run in the background. The following is what I found in the forums:
==============
THIS SETUP IS FOR THE BLACK ZHEN HUA PCM-4 TRANSMITTER AND FMS . IT MAY WORK WITH OTHER TRANSMITTERS BUT I HAVE NOT TESTED IT.

I am running XP Prof and had a little bit of a hard time getting things setup properly. I would like to describe this setup in more detail so others can follow setp by-step.

1. Download ppjoy. I don't know if I am at liberty to give the exact URL. Do a google search for "ppjoy dowload" (leave out quotes!)

2. Follow the installation instructions for ppjoy.

3. Launch ppjoy 'Configure Joysticks' application.

4. There should not be any joysticks listed. Click 'Add'. For 'Parallel Port' choose 'Virtual Joystick' . Do not set any other options. Click Add.

5. I'm running XP Prof. My computer then detected a device. Choose to search for and install the device automatically. It will detect a second device. Follow the same auto-setup procedure again.

6. The Configure Joysticks application will now show one joystick (PPJoy Virtualjoystick 1). Click the 'Done' button to close the Configure Joysticks window.

7. Open the PPjoyCOM application.

8. The only option you need to set is 'Serial Protocol' -- set it to Zhen Hua 5 byte protocol. Under that option you should see 'reading serial stream'. DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW. This is the application that will translate the joystick commands to the FMS program.

9. Open FMS , click 'Control'. Choose 'Joystick Interface' and click 'Mapping/Calibration'.

10. Check out the settings I used at this url : http://3dub.com/heli/ . I am not sure why it was necessary for me to re-map some of the controls and reverse some of them, but it took about an hour to figure it out. Hope it works for everyone.

11. Click 'Calibrate' and do the wiggle wiggle wiggle with the controls. Click "Ok" to close the calibration window. Click "OK" to close the Control window. All of your controls will now work!
===============

A10bolt
Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM

To all that ansewered my battery problems, thanks, I am beginning to think it may be a motor problem, I did order a new main motor with a new battery should be here early next week to try. Today I drained and re-charged my batts to see what would happen. I had great power for 30 secs after up into hoover then barely enough power to keep it off the floor. All this time the throttle is full open, then I would get a sudden blast of power rocketing my heli to the ceiling, then would drop back to barely keeping it off the floor. It did this three or four times during my ten minute flight time. Not having any electronic experience, does anyone have any other suggestions.

Airshot
Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 PM

where did you get the carbon fiber blades from helihobby??
ORIGINAL: jefkawst

Reading through these post persuaded me to purchase my Falcon 40. I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and tips with this model. So, I'd just like to do the same. First off this helicopter flew and was dialed in right out of the box, regardless before I flew it I took it apart and put it back together. After the first day I had it I chopped off the stock landing gear and ziptied T-rex landing skids to the battery tray. It takes more of a beating on hard landing versus the stock skids. I enjoyed flying it like this for the next 2 days with 2 cell lipos(thunder pwr 1320 and fullymax 1350) until the stock motor just couldn't take it off the ground anymore. Replaced that with an old GWS 370 w/ a 12 tooth pinion. I really enjoyed flying this for another 2 days until the 4 in 1 just stopped working as well. The 4 in 1 combo and motor fried at the same time. After that, I purchased the Eflite 370 motor and the Eflite 3 in 1 control unit. I did have to use an external rcvr. I used a micro GWS rcvr. I did keep the 12 tooth pinion on the motor versus the 10 that it came with. Now this is a definitely winning combo here. I also purchased a set of carbon fiber blades, no flex on the blades and smooth and very fast headspeed. Again I really enjoyed flying it like this for about another 2 or 3 days until one of the servos just stopped working. No worries, Replaced them both out with hs-55s. So now I'm back to flying again and I feel it is really dialed in and I got myself a winner and I love all the mods I did to it to make it a more stable, faster headspeed, and NOW much more reliable.

My next project for this will be to replace the 370 with a brushless. What I have in mind right now is the Aurora 300DH or the Himax. I am going to use my same batteries with a Castle Creations ThunderBird 9. If anyone can let me know on what they think about this brushless motor conversion. I'll let you all know how it goes with this conversion and my experiences with it hopefully by next week. In the meantime here are some pictures of how my Falcon 40 has evolved.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.