Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Old 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Well it finally happened.
Yes, I managed to burn out a tail motor on my Falcon 40.
Been flying it since around October. I knew I had problems when I had no control over the tail any more. I must have logged almost 100 flights on that motor.

Still on the original main motor. Oh, and by the way I'm using a GWS brand heat sink on the main motor but honestly I think its overkill as the motor never really gets that hot anyhow.

Put in a spare tail motor this afternoon and got in a decent flight outside. Its been rainy, windy and cold here for 2 weeks, but today was a perfect flying day.

So, has anybody posted any of their own flying videos yet ???

Hope all is well with the Falcon 40 crew out there. Robo
Old 01-26-2007, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: cecilg

Anyone know how to remove the flybar to put on new rotor head core on a Falcon 40? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

There are 2 setscrews that hold the flybar on the heli. Loosen those it it will come off.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:33 PM

My super skids came in wed. put them on and the training gear came off, flys GREAT!! Also saw that US Hobby had DF4 heli's on sale for 69.00. Extra set of main blades, tail rotor,paddles, set of skids all included. As I have never broken a factory skid, now I have three sets to look at. Now I have a complete set of backup parts except canopy, the DF4 does not look nowhere as good as the falcon canopy. Also had a servo go bad, the hitec 55 works excellent as a replacement. The new main motor that was installed 10 days ago runs hot, I expect this will die shortly but have an em300 on order. For you new guys... use the trainer set!! After 2 months I can easily fly without them and land on a 24" wide snack bar. Practice makes perfect... well fewer broken parts anyway....

Airshot
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 AM

hey guys after looking for i while i just found a lifesaver that will help us all. A METAL CORE ROTOR HEAD yay i ordered one myself and should revieve it by monday it cost me 30 bucks with shipping included here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2321&rd=1&rd=1

I will post some pics of my heli with it and tell you how it is. Hope for the best

-weeweeboi
Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM

I finally made it to the hobby shop and bought carbon fiber rod to fix my flybar, and can now scoot around on the floor , do turns , ect.Still not brave enough to get off the ground more than a foot.Just need more practice.Ive checked blade balance and it seems good , still get a LOT of vibration spooling up.Anybody had any luck getting it to smooth out?Tried loosening blades also with no effect.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 AM

That's great. What size rod did you get for the flybar?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: cecilg

That's great. What size rod did you get for the flybar?
The CF rods for the flybar are still 2mm - as mentioned before (page 17 & 21) in this forum. [8D]
Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM

[link=http://www.google.com/search?q=ESky+4+CH+Flight+Simulator+Training+Kit]E-Sky 4 CH Flight Simulator Training Kit For Airplanes and Helicopters w/ USB Port[/link]

Does anybody have this training kit? I was particularly interested in how it compares to using the F40 TX
with your favorite flight simulator (e.g. FMS, Clearview, etc.)?

Thanks,

McWimp
Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 PM

5 o'clock:

I had a similar vibration problem and after checking to make sure everything was balanced/level (i.e. swash plate , flybar, blades etc) I actaully found that tightening the rotor blades helped a lot. I have mine set so that they can be adjusted by hand and collapse when they strick something, but must be set before spooling up (i.e. centerfuge (SP?) won't do it automatically).

Just a thought... After reading these threads, there are general principles/guidlines, but you really have to find what combination works best for your heli.

Good luck...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 PM

I finally did it this weekend. I got brave enough to try to fly this thing. I have been skidding it around on the floor and making short hops, but this time I actually got out of ground effect and got some real flight time. After two batteries, I was hovering for 5-15 seconds, with a usually somewhat controlled landing at the end of that time. Feels like learning to ride a bike, trying to get the balance to become automatic, rather than something you have to think about. I was much better on the simulator, but I can tell the time I put in is really helping.

I found I was getting the vibration on spool up as well. I kept loosening the blades and it seemed to get worse, so I tightened them up until they were quite snug. I am still able to adjust them, and they will fold if (when) I hit the wall (chair, bar, toaster, sink etc), but they stay where I set them. I just eyeball the alignment in relation to the two rotor head screws. If I get it close, there is no vibration on spool up. The downside of this is that I think they take more abuse when they come in contact with other objects, as it probably takes more force before they fold back. I had one split lengthwise about 3 inches. I just taped it back together, and put corresponding tape on the other blade until they balanced, and I'm off flying again.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: airwethead

I finally did it this weekend. I got brave enough to try to fly this thing. I have been skidding it around on the floor and making short hops, but this time I actually got out of ground effect and got some real flight time. After two batteries, I was hovering for 5-15 seconds, with a usually somewhat controlled landing at the end of that time. Feels like learning to ride a bike, trying to get the balance to become automatic, rather than something you have to think about. I was much better on the simulator, but I can tell the time I put in is really helping.

I found I was getting the vibration on spool up as well. I kept loosening the blades and it seemed to get worse, so I tightened them up until they were quite snug. I am still able to adjust them, and they will fold if (when) I hit the wall (chair, bar, toaster, sink etc), but they stay where I set them. I just eyeball the alignment in relation to the two rotor head screws. If I get it close, there is no vibration on spool up. The downside of this is that I think they take more abuse when they come in contact with other objects, as it probably takes more force before they fold back. I had one split lengthwise about 3 inches. I just taped it back together, and put corresponding tape on the other blade until they balanced, and I'm off flying again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next step I would work towards is the nose-in hover. Try it 1st really low almost skidding on the floor, so when you panic and chop the throttle you'll be OK. [:@]

If you can get comforatable with nose-in flight, you'll be ready for forward flight training. This is where simulator time really pays off as you have to conquer the reverse thinking issues when nose-in.

After soon as you can comfortably handle nose-in you'll be ready for figure 8's. Once you can master figure 8's, the sky is the limit as far as I'm concerned. You'll see that the only time you will deliberately hover is when its time to land at the end of a battery pack. Forward flight is a blast, but things do happen fast and you need to train your hands to act on instinct not decision. Keep up the good work and tell us how the progress goes. Good luck, Robo
Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks robo. I'm gonna go home tonight and try to extend those tail in hover times before I try to go nose in. I can do nose in and forward flight and everything else on the simulator, but as I have discovered, the simulator aint exactly like real life. I have found that years of fixed wing flight helps a lot with the orientation. I did (and still do) fly pattern and IMAC, so I am pretty proficient with the rudder control. You would be surprised how many fixed wing pilots never get comfortable with yaw control.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Will someone please tell me why I am having trouble ordering superskids for my Falcon 40. I have tried to order by e-Mail [email protected] But the mail is not delivered. Where else can I order them?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM

The email is:

[email protected]

or you can go to [link=http://www.super-skids.com]super skids[/link] and follow the link at the bottom of the page that says "Order Page".
Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM

hey guys im back from camping now
and after checkin online fixing my falcon 40 is going to cost almost 45 bucks!!!
even the shaft was bend! i can believe this

still considering buying a new one instead of fixing this, lucky me i still have my cx to
fly

the stupid part of the story is that my super skids got here yesterday!! im so pissed [&o][:@]
Old 01-31-2007, 02:41 PM

$45 is still cheaper than $90 for a new one, but if you buy a whole new one, you will have a bunch of spare parts from your trashed one. Tough call. A new one gets you another radio, 4 in 1, servos etc.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM

Air_W is right Makatron, Go ahead and spring for the entire heli.

Face it , you're going to be poor just like the rest of us in this hobby !!!

It it handy to have another model to look at when trying to figure out what part went where before that crash happened.

I leave one transmitter at woek and one at home. So at least I only have to tote the heli and not the transmitter too.

For heli # 2, I ordered the same numerical frequency as heli #1, in order for my plan to work.

I added up a list of spares that would be "Nice to Have" and it was around 100 bucks and still no spare transmitter or main frame...

Went ahead and bit the bullet got the entire heli. My plan was going great until I forgot to unplug the battery from heli #1 before I started flying heli#2 in the room next door. Hey, at least I learned how to repair a smoked 4-in-1 board that day.

Well, hope you get back in the air soon.

Regards,
Robo
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: airwethead

I can do nose in and forward flight and everything else on the simulator, but as I have discovered, the simulator aint exactly like real life.
Yeah, I went through the same thing as you. I swear my heart rate would skyrocket the minute I kicked the tail aroun 180 degrees and was looking head on at the front of the canopy.

The Pucker Factor can't be simulated on the current version of Realfligh 3.5 so I've I found... [X(]

I'm glad nobody was there to see me sweat !!!!

But, you'll make it past that transitional stage soon enough.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM

Makatron,

See my earlier post, US Hobby has the DF4 heli on sale for 69.00 comes with extra set of main blades, tail blade, paddles and extra skid set. An identical bird to the Falcon with an ugly canopy. I ordered one for spare parts, radio's are the same can switch crystals to utilize the transmitter or 4 in 1 if needed.

Airshot
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 PM

I notice on several photos of the Falcon 40 there is a housing of some kind for the antenna-
Where can I buy sucu housing? Also I cannot use my new Futaba transmitter with the F40. Some one said that you could use the Futuba with the Esx Honeybee. I am wondering if Purchased the 4 in 1 rec. unit from Honeybee could it be used in the Fal 40?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM

my shiping was $ 12.35 from xheli have fun iflyin
Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 PM

Do just let the antennahang loose or is there some kind of housing ' seems to me I have seen a shorter antenna housing on some Falcon 40 pictures
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM

if u crash bad just get [link=http://www.xheli.com/arffa40rche.html]this[/link]
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 PM

whats us hobby website??
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm pretty bummed b/c my parts still havent came yet and i ordered on the 18th.
I olny got 2 1/2 batteries on the thing and was finishing trimming it.
btw if u guys have any tips on trimming it that would help a lot.
Thanks,
R/Cfantic889

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.