Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Yellow Crow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

tannerb, for an explaination for that "gear thing", check page 247 post 6170. That explains it pretty well. After I use the paper to set mine, I always rotate the main gear slowly by hand a couple of revolutions to make sure there are no binds. By all means get the slomax. You will also have to get a motor pinion. 10 tooth 2mm. Get the one with the set screw, that way you won't have to bother with trying to press one on. Michael @ US Hobby has them. While you are at it get a main motor heat sink. BTW the slomax will fly with the oem batteries. Hope this helps some. Jim

To Matt,,,OUCH!!!!![X(] Where in your house do you have a chain link fence?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 AM
creteus

Hey Bailey, just move the links to a more inner hole on the servo arm.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

I must have had a brain fart or something Ive been flying planes long enough to know that is what I should do. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
karlik

Kbailey
My first thought was same as creteus. Are you still using original oem servos? If so, mine is on the outermost hole, so that may not be it.
Did you remove the servo arm for any reason during repairs, and maybe got it off by a few teeth when you put it back? If so, here is how I set them up. Unplug both motors. Remove both servo arms. Plug in the battery on the heli, turn on the radio and center the trims on the radio fore and aft and left right controls. With power applied and transmitter on to hold the servo in position, put the servo arms back on so the swashplate is as close to level as you can get it.

Creteus – that’s just sad dude. [] Looks like a much more expensive repair than it would be on the Falcon.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM
kbailey45

I havent removed the arms or the linkages and when everything centers the servo arms are 90 degrees like they should be.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
karlik

You must have posted your reply tp creteus same time I posted mine. Didn't know you had experience with servos. Sorry. Still not working right?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM
kbailey45

well I just got finished changing my tail motor and moved the linkages in to the third hole. I think my battery was about dead and I went to hover in the living room and only got a little bit off the ground but everything was responding correctly. Its just kind of odd that the servos would do that. I had some spare servos for my Axe and hooked one to the receiver and they move about the same distance. Maybe it will fly ok. I use my Triton Jr to charge my battery how fast can I charge a nimh battery of this type safely.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:57 PM
tannerb924

where do i get the slomax motor? and will i need to get a different battery or will that work with the stock falcon 40 battery?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:40 PM
creteus

Heres the cheapest I've found so far for the slomax 300 http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ORI61107!1007

The stock battery will work but a lipo upgade works alot better http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...38be43264ef239
Old 12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
tannerb924

thanks creteus and yellow crow. I'll be getting a slomax and possibly a lipo upgrade
Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Yellow Crow
My Feedback: (1)

tannerb, you also want to make sure that you break in this motor. Also two other things. (1) The slomax turns opposite of the oem motor, so you will have to reverse the + and - leads when you install it. (2) AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! If you have not installed the fuse mod on your bird,,DO SO!! It WILL SAVE YOUR 4n1!!

Jim
Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM
tannerb924

(1) thanks. (2) whats the fuse mod?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
creteus

ORIGINAL: tannerb924

(1) thanks. (2) whats the fuse mod?
Take the red/+ wire going to the motor and put in a 7.5, or no larger the 10amp, fuse on it so in the event that you hit something and stop the motor for spinning while on the throttle it'll blow the fuse and not the 4 in 1. 4 in 1 = $40, fuse mod = $.50. I didn't do this when advised and payed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69666.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1091217  
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
UTM

All good advice gentlemen. Fuse mod = $$$ saved for sure. slo-max + lipo = best brushed motor combo in it's class.

kbailey45 Date 12/16/2008 3:28:09 PM
well I just got finished changing my tail motor and moved the linkages in to the third hole. I think my battery was about dead and I went to hover in the living room and only got a little bit off the ground but everything was responding correctly. Its just kind of odd that the servos would do that. I had some spare servos for my Axe and hooked one to the receiver and they move about the same distance. Maybe it will fly ok. I use my Triton Jr to charge my battery how fast can I charge a nimh battery of this type safely.
Can't really comment on the triton charging the stock battery. I changd to lipo almost right away but I know that the OEM charger takes about 90 min. If you charge your battery and still find you are having trouble lifting off don't be surprised. the stock motor is a POC Mine flew all of 10 flights before it went out. In that event refer to above wouldn't worry too much about your servo travels. mine also did that when I was flying the stock controller. I am now flying the DX6i and can adjust the travel endpoints from the controller so that doesn't happen anymore. it will fly fine the way you have it though. The only thing that it will cause is a shorter life for you servos. When they bottom out it wears them out more quickly. If you're just hovering though you'll not be getting to full travel very often if ever. You start doing that when you begin FF. Only then would it become a problem.

good evening all.

Uri

Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 AM
kbailey45

What is a good tail motor to upgrade to. I think I am going to get one of the 2S 7.4V BP1250 batteries for my Falcon. I have used this brand of battery and they last forever. They are only 15C but Im sure that will be fine. I use a 11.1v 910 in my Axe with no problems. Plus Im gonna order the slomax from Tower and this way I dont have to order from 2 different places. I have a Deans plug I am going to put on the heli to match the battery. Does the Slomax motor have to have a diode across it. Heli is still hovering good but I think I will probably have to replace the servos one of them is clicking from time to time. I wonder if servos from my Axe will work I have some spares. Here is a link to the battery let me know waht you think.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNYJ2&P=7

I am going to do the fuse mod but would really like to get a good tail motor if you guys can help. When you guys do the fuse mod do you put one on for the tail motor if so what size. Do the fuses ever blow while just flying around. Im going to try and find an 8 or 9 amp fuse but I dont think they make them. Which one is better to go with the 7.5 or the 10. Anyways thanks for the help guys this little heli is pretty tough but the motors leave some to be desired. Oh yeah Christmas tree balls dont hold up very good to spinning rotor blades lol. Had to vacuum for 20 minutes to get that crap up lol. Is this a good tail motor. I want a drop in replacement that will last longer. Also should I get a press on 10t pinion for the main or one of those with a set screw.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRWS1&P=7
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
karlik

I’m going to at least partially answer your questions because I have a related question for UTM/Uri. I use that century tail motor and it works quite well and seems to have a longer life than the factory. Another option is the direct drive-
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHM6&P=M[/link]
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHHE2&P=M[/link]

Go to Page 274 in this thread post#6847 and Uri posted a picture of how he mounted it.

Uri – did you use the century tail motor with the slo-max motor and did have enough power? I’ve read a few places it couldn’t handle it and people had to go direct drive.

For battery I prefer this one, 1300 25c

[link]http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=62&osCsid=44cb15f1583a7dff87524055f7986808[/link]

I think most are using a 7.5 amp fuse. The 4in1 is 10 amp, so with a 10 amp fuse you hope the fuse goes first. I've popped only one 7.5 amp when my heli had a romantic encounter with a rhododendron bush. I also have a 3 amp on the tail motor, more to protect the motor than the 4in1.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Diizii

can you tell me the best way to balance the rotor blades. Thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 AM
karlik

ORIGINAL: Diizii

can you tell me the best way to balance the rotor blades. Thanks
The best way? That’s almost like asking who makes the best truck, ford or chevy?

My favorite is here.
[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=812465[/link]

Pick heli balancing 2006.pdf. It does require a small scale, I got a digital scale at harborfreight.com for 12 bucks.

Another option is here.
[link]http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rotor-blade-balancing.html[/link]
Old 12-19-2008, 02:33 PM
UTM

karlik Date 12/17/2008 7:57:11 PM
I’m going to at least partially answer your questions because I have a related question for UTM/Uri. I use that century tail motor and it works quite well and seems to have a longer life than the factory. Another option is the direct drive-
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHM6&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHE2&P=M

Go to Page 274 in this thread post#6847 and Uri posted a picture of how he mounted it.

Uri – did you use the century tail motor with the slo-max motor and did have enough power? I’ve read a few places it couldn’t handle it and people had to go direct drive.

For battery I prefer this one, 1300 25c

http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...524055f7986808

I think most are using a 7.5 amp fuse. The 4in1 is 10 amp, so with a 10 amp fuse you hope the fuse goes first. I've popped only one 7.5 amp when my heli had a romantic encounter with a rhododendron bush. I also have a 3 amp on the tail motor, more to protect the motor than the 4in1.
Karl I did use the century HP tail motor with the slo-max. It is considerable better than the OEM motor. I didn't have to much trouble using it in that capicity and they last foever. I got around 150 flights out of the one I used. I did also use the century hummingbird long tail rotor. http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...m?currentid=26
That tail rotor is about 1/2" longer than the OEM falcon rotor. It will give you more tail authority but it will also take some tinkering with the 4-1 prop pot to ensure you aren't going to have wag. It gave me fits when I first got that setup. Finally got it dialed in and it was good for me for a long time. Having said all that I would not go back that way now after having installed the GWS DD motor. It is by far and away superior to all other motors I have used in tail authority, however it will not last like the century motor will. I have my DD motor going out now after about 85 flights or so. I use the same setup that you posted in the above link.

Baily that battery you posted a link too should work just fine. I use CSRC 7.4 2000's and they work great and give a ton of FT. When I first got them they were giving me about 18 min FT's but I have since installed the DD tail motor which is a power hog and a telbee HH gyro which also robs power so now I get about 14 min with those batts. You can use a 10a fuse in your fuse mod so long as you be sure to buy the quick blow variety. that is what I have always run and never had to buy a new 4-1. I have popped 2 fuses. the first was before I was running my DX6i and the stock tx lost contact with the heli which proceeded to go down under power. the second time I was picking up the heli by the blades and accidently bumped the throttle. Again not a problem because of the t-hold switch which I regilously flip as I power up and prior to picking up the heli.

Good luck buddy.

Uri

Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
robotronski

Hey,
Just want to wish all of the Falcon 40 pilots out there a very Merry Christmas.

I hope Santa brings you all the toys and heli goodies you wished for all year.

I wish you all the best of luck and a very Happy New year to all!!!!!

As always, Robo
Old 12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
USHobbySupply

Yes, Merry Christmas ! I hope that Santa brings you all the heli stuff you had on your list!

Michael
Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
1morecrash

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

Yes, Merry Christmas ! I hope that Santa brings you all the heli stuff you had on your list!

Michael
Merry Chrystmas to you and your family. may the new year bring you much
joy.
and thanks from a very satisfied customer.
keep up the good work.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Disney1

To all of my friend

Merry Christmas

And God Bless.

R[8D]N Sr
Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 AM
rotor wash

Merry Christmas everyone and a safe New Year from Rotor Wash (Richard) Brother of Larry AKA (Karlik)
Old 12-25-2008, 04:28 PM
tmaxx445

Hello i have been out of the heli world for a while. I have a falcon 40 and still have not mastered flying it but am OK. I have broke about 4 Rotor Head Cores and it is getting old to fix them. I know when i left the heli and went to other things there was not a good metal one that was easily obtained. Is that the same way now? Also were is the best place to get replacement part other than ushobbysupply.com? They are out of stock of the two parts i need. Are there relay any amazing new things that have happened.

My bird upgrades
-fuse mod
-7.4 volt lipo
-rechargeable TX battery pack
-training landing gear

tmaxx445

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.