Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

My first helicopter, choice help.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

My first helicopter, choice help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 PM
scoops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first helicopter, choice help.

I've been reading the forums and reviews, and so far I'm looking at either getting the Hurricane 550 or the Esky Belt CP.

I don't know anyone who flies helis so I'd be on my own and completley self taught (probably mostly on a sim) so I was considering getting the Hurricane 550 because I hear it's more stable.

The problem is that, yes the Belt CP is cheaper, so it's less pain in my wallet, but if I crash it I'll probably be demoralized and lose my interest in the hobby, or probably never end up upgrading to the 550. It's for that reason that I'm considering going straight to the 550, and just taking it really slowly, often using a sim, and starting out only hovering a foot or two off the ground for the first few days/weeks.

So here are my questions:

In your opinion should I start big or small?

Depending on the size, if not the Belt CP, or the 550, which helicopter would you recommend and why? (Stability with the option of 3D in the future, over full 3D capability)

What's the best way to self teach helicopter flying?

What sim would you suggest?

Where would you suggest buying the helicopter for a Canadian shopper?

How difficult are helicopters to repair/maintain?

Any other beginners advice or something I should know about the hobby/helicopters?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Druss

Default RE: My first helicopter, choice help.

Hey Skoops,

Welcome to the greatest hobby on earth....

Anyway, I own both the Belt CP and the Hurricane 550 and can tell you that YES the 550 is much more stable, it's also much more expensive. Both are very cheap for their relative classes but the Hurricane will be at least twice as much.

To teach yourself to fly I'd look at both a sim and radds school of rotory flight (google it). As for a sim, there are quite a few out there but if you're just starting and don't have a radio yet then Real Flight G3.5 or G4 are best as they come with a radio. Others will say that Phoenix or XTR are better, and they may have better graphics, but I really do think that real flight has the best training aids.

As for the heli, funny thing is that I have both for sale used... lol. But if you want to buy new there is a new shop in Calgary, www.rotortech.ca, tell them Druss from RCU sent you. They carry both the belt cp and the hurricane 550 and full parts for both as well.

I'm sure that there is a flying club in Quebec somewhere, check out www.maac.ca for a listing of clubs. You will need a maac membership to fly at any club as the membership comes with insurance.

If you need a hand feel free to pm or email me and I'd be more than happy to help you.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 AM
scoops

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll take a look at that "radds school of rotory flight" as it sounds like just what I need.

I'm looking to buy the hurricane RTF, is that possible?

Also in comparison, how much easier to fly is the 550 over the Belt CP?

I'll take a look at the prices of radios, and new RTF 550's, and depending on the outcome of that I may end up buying yours, thanks for the offer
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Druss

There are some RTF deals out there but mostly from Hong Kong. You have to factor in the shipping which can get up to $100. RTF also doesn't really mean RTF, there is usually quite a bit of set up, especially with the 550 as it was never meant to be RTF and therefore is not set up at all when you get it... it's really more of a combo.

As to how much more stable the 550 over the belt cp is... the 550 has 550mm blades, the belt cp has 325mm blades... the rotor disk for the 550 is 1150mm vs. 680mm for the belt cp. MUCH more stable.

If you really want a RTF 550, I'd be willing to set it up for you. Just send me the radio and I'll set it up and test fly it before shipping. Unfortunately, I'd have to remove the tail and the blades but you should be able to get it up and flying within 30 minutes.

The 550 is over 1m long and no one is going to ship a package that large. I can if you'd like but it would be expensive.... the kits and combos that you see for the 550 require that you install the head and attach the tail boom then add the electronics. Not a big deal, even for someone new but still has to be done. The hardest part is not really building it but setting it up on the radio. I've had experience with both Futaba and Spektrum/JR radios so I can help you there.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 AM
scoops

Well I guess I meant what they call "90% RTF"? In which you have everything you need, minus minor assembly.

As I continue to consider yours, I was looking around and I found this:
http://www.readyheli.com/Gaui_Hurric...F_p/204970.htm

Why is this so cheap? Something doesn't seem right...[&:]
Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Druss

As a comparison, here is a pic of some of my helis.

The 3rd from the left (purple head, all white blades and black landing gear) is the carbon fiber and cnc belt cp. The second from the right (all black plastic w/ white blades and peach blade holders) is the hurricane 550. You can see how much larger the 550 is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84428.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	977412  
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: scoops

Well I guess I meant what they call "90% RTF"? In which you have everything you need, minus minor assembly.

As I continue to consider yours, I was looking around and I found this:
http://www.readyheli.com/Gaui_Hurric...F_p/204970.htm

Why is this so cheap? Something doesn't seem right...[&:]
That's so cheap because it doesn't have any servos or a gyro. It's basically the frame, with a few metal upgrades and a better motor, from stock. You're paying $60 for the motor and metal upgrades. It's not a bad deal but you really don't need the metal when you're first starting out. Plastic is much cheaper to replace in a crash. Also, I don't like the 50amp esc on a 1100kv motor, that esc would heat up for sure as the gaui escs aren't that great.

So for that one you need to add a gyro, 4 servos, 2 3S batteries and a radio to get it flying.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 AM
scoops

ORIGINAL: Druss

That's so cheap because it doesn't have any servos or a gyro. It's basically the frame, with a few metal upgrades and a better motor, from stock. You're paying $60 for the motor and metal upgrades. It's not a bad deal but you really don't need the metal when you're first starting out. Plastic is much cheaper to replace in a crash. Also, I don't like the 50amp esc on a 1100kv motor, that esc would heat up for sure as the gaui escs aren't that great.

So for that one you need to add a gyro, 4 servos, 2 3S batteries and a radio to get it flying.
Thanks for the clarification.

It seems that the Gaui is a little more expensive than I thought, and may be too much for a first helicopter... Looking at something < or =400$ (including the radio and everything needed to fly). Around this price range, (preferably the ~300$ zone) what would be the most stable helicopter, with 3D potential, and the power to lift a small digital camera?

Is the Belt CP the best in that case? Is there something between the 550 and the Belt CP I could take a look at?

PS: I love your helicopter line up, beautiful collection you have there, the one on the right is monstrous
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Druss

For around $300 the belt cp is one of the best choices completely RTF. It's also one of the most popular in that price range. There are other ones like the blackhawk and shark... etc. but really I'd suggest that you just get the belt cp, upgrade the esc (really suggest that), get a better charger and about $30 worth of parts and you're just over $300. After that a better gyro and tail servo and you can do moderate 3D. No heli under $500 will do hard 3D imo.

as to lifting a camera... that's going to depend a lot of the type of camera. I wouldn't suggest more than 100 grams though as you'll start to have stability issues and loss of flight time.

I'd love to help you get started out with a great deal but i just don't have anything that cheap anymore. even my king2 is probably worth over $400.

The heli on the right is a Trex 600N Pro (my only nitro heli) and it uses 600mm blades.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 AM
scoops

For around $300 the belt cp is one of the best choices completely RTF. It's also one of the most popular in that price range. There are other ones like the blackhawk and shark... etc. but really I'd suggest that you just get the belt cp, upgrade the esc (really suggest that), get a better charger and about $30 worth of parts and you're just over $300. After that a better gyro and tail servo and you can do moderate 3D. No heli under $500 will do hard 3D imo.

I'd love to help you get started out with a great deal but i just don't have anything that cheap anymore. even my king2 is probably worth over $400.

The heli on the right is a Trex 600N Pro (my only nitro heli) and it uses 600mm blades.
Ok, I think I'll go for the Belt CP, what do you think about this deal?
http://www.raidentech.com/esky-belt-...elicopter.html
EDIT: and this one: http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=448

Considering I'm going for the cheaper helicopter I'll probably get the upgrades you suggested too, so I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

First of all, what is an "esc"?

And considering the deal I linked above, (or which ever deal you would suggest) which charger do you think I should get?

As for 3D...It'll probably be a few weeks/months before I have to worry about that, for now I'll just try to learn to hover.

Thanks again for all the help, you've been extremely helpful, from what I've seen so far this is a really awesome community and I can't wait to get more involved!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Edwinssiv

I would advise a good sim as well...It has saved me lots of money in the long run. I have used it to learn new maneuvers and to practice basics regularly.
Please do a search on Raidentech before you purchase from them to see what people say...
As to the Belt CP I have never flown one...and from the advice Druss has given it sounds like a decent starter heli...but as a comparison, I can comment and recommend the Black Hawk 450 from [link=http://www.ka-planes.com/home]Ka-Planes[/link]...it is a very stable heli to learn on! It is mild 3D capable from the start and Ka-Planes sets it up and tests it before it is shipped to you. When investigating my second helicopter, I read that most RTF packages need to be adjusted and set up correctly and I had no idea at the time how to do that...so having Ka-Planes do it for me was a nice perk. They have great support and take good care of their customers. The Black Hawk was my 2nd RC helicopter and helped me advance fairly quickly. If not for a terrible crash where i broke the frame I would still be flying this bird. Parts are reasonably priced as is the Esky parts...
The one thing I did upgrade on the Black Hawk right away was the gyro and tail servo...the Keytech gyro that comes with it is an ok gyro but I went to the Futaba 401 with the Futaba 9257 Servo on the tail...an excellent combo but it is not needed for basic flight and hovering as you learn.
BTW...Ka-Planes carries both of these helis and parts for them as well...they are not in Canada but they will ship internationally...
Which ever one you go with I would suggest getting extra fly bars, main shafts, main gears, and rotor blades for spares...you will go through them quickly as you learn to fly...
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 AM
H3li

Scoops, welcome to the wonderful world of R/C Helicopter flight.... Well ALMOST - as you have to get your helicopter first!!
Some great advice above. Can I also ask how you have come to a decision on the Hurricane 550 or Esky Belt CP?

The Belt CP is relatively cheap (compared to other Helis of a similar size), also repairs would be relatively inexpensive too, plus loads of parts available.
Setup is relatively straight-forward and they will give you a decent hover and nice 3D.

Relatively cheap and FULLY READY TO FLY out of the box, you also have the E-Flite Blade 400. Decent 2.4GHz Spektrum technology, also comes with the DX6i Transmitter, which you can then go on to use to fly other Heli's and Planes too!

For a fraction more money, you have the even more capable Thunder Tiger Mini Titan. Will give you a SOLID Hover, superb build quality, also fully 3D capable!
(I bought mine as an ARTF Kit. It came with everything needed to fly. I just had to fit the Tail and main blades!). It's a stunning Helicopter!

You might find that a 450 Class helicopter to be a nice size - not too small, and not "massive" either!

All the best with your first Heli - take it easy and slow at first. To help with confidence during your first hover attempts, build yourself some training gear out of Two lengths of carbon fibre tube plus some ping-pong balls etc.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM
scoops

Thanks for all the help guys!

I've taken a look at the Belt CP, Blade 400, Blackhawk 450 and the Thunder Tiger Mini Titan and I've compared the prices, as that's all I can do because I have no experience with them....

Thunder Tiger Mini Titan RTF: ~$499.00 - http://www.modelflight.com.au/thunde...nder_tiger.htm ARF: ~ 279.99 - http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=TTT4710A11
Blade 400 RTF: ~$469.99 - http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLH1400
Blackhawk 450 RTF: ~$349.99 - http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/12390
Belt CP RTF: ~$189.95 - http://www.raidentech.com/esky-belt-...elicopter.html

I'd really prefer not spending too much more than ~$300 to be ready to fly and in the air because I eventually plan on moving up to the 550 if I enjoy my first heli. But considering these prices, which would you guys say is the best value? I'm looking for stability over all else, with future 3D capability as this really is my first helicopter.

PS: I have a nitro r/c plane lying broken in my house, and it comes with a JR remote, could that be fitted to work with a heli missing the remote? I'll check the model in a few minutes, but my problem is that from what I hear it's fairly complicated to set up the radio so I dunno if I want to do that.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Druss

Considering I'm going for the cheaper helicopter I'll probably get the upgrades you suggested too, so I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

And considering the deal I linked above, (or which ever deal you would suggest) which charger do you think I should get?

As for 3D...It'll probably be a few weeks/months before I have to worry about that, for now I'll just try to learn to hover.

Thanks again for all the help, you've been extremely helpful, from what I've seen so far this is a really awesome community and I can't wait to get more involved!
There has been some good advise on here to date. The link you provided for that RTF minititan is not really RTF as there's no radio. Plus shipping from australia would be expensive.

The blade 400 and blackhawk are both good entry level helis but they were not in your price range so I didn't include them. Plus, if you upgrade the gyro and tail servo on the blackhawk it is not much better than the belt cp.

Get the Belt CP from rotortech, canadian dollars and cheaper shipping, plus no duty.

To get the minititan flying you're looking at $600. If you upgrade the gyro and tail servo on the blackhawk that's going to put you at $550. The blade 400 would be the next choice up from the belt cp but again you're looking at some upgrades.

An ESC is the electronic speed controller, the stock one is only rated for 25amps, I suggest you get one that's at least 30amps. The charger that comes with the kit is ok but takes 2-3 hours to charge a battery.

Belt CP $200
Telebee gyro $60
30-35amp ESC $30

total is $290, add $30 for parts and you're at $320. That's a good starting point. You will also need some tools, figure $50 for that.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Edwinssiv

I think Druss has given you a very, very good advice.
If you go with the Belt CP you still have not invested too much into the hobby incase you don't like it.
Just to give yourself more information you might check out the Finless Bob build videos...even though it may not cover your exact helicopter the information he gives about set up is awesome and priceless. It will give you an idea of what to check when your heli arrives. You can go over everything yourself and get a better understanding of how and why things work on it.
I admit I am addicted to this crazy hobby and wish you many hours of fun flying....or at least no violent crashes for a while!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
H3li

Great to see you are doing alot of research Scoop - that's the best method, and you'll pickup great tips along the way.
If I didn't buy my Mini Titan, the next Heli I would personally go with would be, not the next most expensive but .. drum roll .... Belt CP!

This Heli comes in at an excellent price, and you will have alot of nice options, should you upgrade it (ie Carbon / Metal upgrades etc).
It comes in under your budget, and is a very decent Heli for the price! There are also ALOT of online stores that cater for parts/spares.

Pop onto YouTube and type in "belt cp" in the search, to get a look at how it flies

All the best, let us know what you go for!

EDIT ^^^ Edwinssiv got in just before me!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
scoops

There has been some good advise on here to date. The link you provided for that RTF minititan is not really RTF as there's no radio. Plus shipping from australia would be expensive.

The blade 400 and blackhawk are both good entry level helis but they were not in your price range so I didn't include them. Plus, if you upgrade the gyro and tail servo on the blackhawk it is not much better than the belt cp.

Get the Belt CP from rotortech, canadian dollars and cheaper shipping, plus no duty.

To get the minititan flying you're looking at $600. If you upgrade the gyro and tail servo on the blackhawk that's going to put you at $550. The blade 400 would be the next choice up from the belt cp but again you're looking at some upgrades.

An ESC is the electronic speed controller, the stock one is only rated for 25amps, I suggest you get one that's at least 30amps. The charger that comes with the kit is ok but takes 2-3 hours to charge a battery.

Belt CP $200
Telebee gyro $60
30-35amp ESC $30

total is $290, add $30 for parts and you're at $320. That's a good starting point. You will also need some tools, figure $50 for that.

Ok, so my shopping cart is looking like this:

Belt CP: ($199) http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=448
Telebee TLB01 or TLB06? ($60) : http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=121 OR http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=451
ESC: ($30) (I could only find a 50A for the time being. so I'll keep looking)
Shipping ~$30-40

Total: ~$320

Sounds great to me, relatively cheap so I've got plenty of room to buy spare parts and such.

I just need help finding where to buy the ESC, which gyro to buy, and I can make my order.

Thanks again for all the help, this information has been invaluable to me [8D]

Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Druss

I've never tried the TLB06 but it looks like a good one. As for the esc try [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=425&osCsid=f71e1965615bdc60f8555aa8a50d240c]this[/link] one
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
scoops

Ok LAST question I promise!

What parts are most commonly broken? which do you think I should buy as spares right off the bat?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Edwinssiv

Feathering spindle, flybar, main shaft, main gear, if they are plastic...then blade grips and most of all blades.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Druss

add to that list an extra tail boom and belt. possibly an extra servo. Get a good set of metric hex drivers, pitch gauge, phillips drivers, 3 in 1 oil, extra battery....
Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
scoops

add to that list an extra tail boom and belt. possibly an extra servo. Get a good set of metric hex drivers, pitch gauge, phillips drivers, 3 in 1 oil, extra battery....
I know I said that my previous question would be the last, but which battery should I get?

I also can't find the tail boom in the parts list...but here's what I have so far. (I've decided to hold out on getting the Gyro for the time being)

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/...tm_a40d7b9.jpg

That's my cart so far.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Druss

lol my work is blocking that link...

Doesn't look like rotortech has the boom in stock, it doesn't really matter as I believe the trex booms will work. I know they said they didn't get everything they ordered because Esky was behind on production.

If you ever get into a bind then let me know, I've got lots of spare parts.

As to batteries, I personally have been likeing the Air Thunder and Kong Power batteries. 18C and 2000mah at a minimum and 25C 2200mah are better. These aren't cheap though, over $50 each battery.... but when you're first learning you don't want to take a 2 hour break while your batteries are charging.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
scoops

lol my work is blocking that link...

Doesn't look like rotortech has the boom in stock, it doesn't really matter as I believe the trex booms will work. I know they said they didn't get everything they ordered because Esky was behind on production.

If you ever get into a bind then let me know, I've got lots of spare parts.

As to batteries, I personally have been likeing the Air Thunder and Kong Power batteries. 18C and 2000mah at a minimum and 25C 2200mah are better. These aren't cheap though, over $50 each battery.... but when you're first learning you don't want to take a 2 hour break while your batteries are charging.
Ok, what I think I'll do is get rid of a lot of the spare parts I was originally gonna get, and instead get the 2200mah battery: (heres the link, this would work with the Belt CP charger and such right?)
http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...products_id=69

As for spares, I'll just get the ESC and blades for now, and I'll just have to be careful with my heli, and wiat it out if something else breaks.

So my shopping list is:
EK1H-E014A Esky Belt CP RTF
CX450-10-03 30A Brushless ESC with BEC
EK4-0009 Wooden Main Blades Belt CP
EK1-0501 Tail Blades White Belt CP/King 2
KP-2225-3 Kong Power 3S1P 11.1V 2200 mAh 25C lipo Battery

For a total of $304 (before shipping)

What do you think?

Also, is this the Trex boom you were talking about?
http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=146
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Druss

those copterx ones should work but check with them before ordering them... as to spare parts.. I'd suggest you still get feathering shafts and main shafts before the tail blades. The tail blades are plastic so you won't be breaking those often, they are usually replaced when they are too scraped up. I'd say in 70% of the crashes where you break a blade you'll also bent the feathering shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.