Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Which heli to buy next?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Which heli to buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
maximus75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which heli to buy next?

Hi all, I'm in the market for a mini electric heli. I have the Blade CX2 and have gone as far as I can with it. I want to move up to a single blade. I've heard the cp is very difficult to fly and parts are expensive. I'm looking for something I can fly outdoors and eventually do some acrobatics with.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
noobflyer01

Default RE: Which heli to buy next?

how much money are you willing to spend. there's just about any cp's out there for any budget.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Skarn

In the mini size, you are speaking of 450 size heli's. What that said, you can learn on a 450 size heli if you have patience and a simulator. Parts are not expensive....it's usually the FP folk that say that

The average crash cost of my trex 450 has only been $25....not too bad if you ask me. I would recommend you build a kit helil...like a TREX 450 or Mini Titan...that way you learn the mechanics and setup so that when you do crash, it won't be intimidating to put back together. But if money is an issue, the very least I'd recommend is a Blade 400....it's a decent RTF.

Good luck!
Skarn
Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
maximus75

Well the new cp pro 2 is going for around $250 so I was hoping to stay at that price range, mabye go to $350. I don't want to buy an expensive heli in case I thrash it but I do want to start learning some tricks and 3d flying. I don't have a heli sim but I do want to get one. What it a good sim that has alot of heli and airplane selections?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:00 PM
noobflyer01

skarn you're crashes must be light because my crashes cost me 50+ every time. the blades alone are 12-15 bucks. main gears aren't cheap either. plus the main shafts comes in packs of 2 or 3 and those cost money too. when you add everything up you're first crash if you dont have any spares is quite costly. at least a 100 bucks for a major crash. and if the servos are damage that will cost you big time. plus its a pain in the but to resetup everything again. not trying to scare anybody away from this hobby but its quite costly if you crash often.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: maximus75

Well the new cp pro 2 is going for around $250 so I was hoping to stay at that price range, mabye go to $350. I don't want to buy an expensive heli in case I thrash it but I do want to start learning some tricks and 3d flying. I don't have a heli sim but I do want to get one. What it a good sim that has alot of heli and airplane selections?
not many sub $500 RTf helis are really 3D capable, you may be able to do loops and rolls but that's about it. I personally do not like the blade series of helis but that's just me. The blade cp series are 300 size and therefore very difficult to handle and learn on. You can do it but it's hard. Going up to a 400/450 size heli would be much easier to learn on. The Esky Belt CP at $200 RTF may be an option for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

skarn you're crashes must be light because my crashes cost me 50+ every time. the blades alone are 12-15 bucks. main gears aren't cheap either. plus the main shafts comes in packs of 2 or 3 and those cost money too. when you add everything up you're first crash if you dont have any spares is quite costly. at least a 100 bucks for a major crash. and if the servos are damage that will cost you big time. plus its a pain in the but to resetup everything again. not trying to scare anybody away from this hobby but its quite costly if you crash often.

Not sure where you are getting your stuff from bro and no I'm not crashing "light"

Example crash:
- Main Blades: $9 (I get 3 sets for $27 from www.techmodelproducts.com)
- Main Gear: $2.93 (3 for $8.79) (what makes you think main gears aren't cheap?)
- Main Shaft: $2.60 (3 for $7.79)
- Feathering Shaft: $2.94 (2 for $5.89)
- Fly Bar: $1.95 (two for $3.89)

Total: $19.42 total crash cost

Add in another $3.90 for a tail boom and you're still under $25...

Doesn't seem to expensive to me does it?

Skarn

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
noobflyer01

12where you getting your stuff from? and what bird skarn. i crashed my titan and dont have any spares. total cost for repairs is 128 bucks. the kit is for 159. sure when i get the parts the packages comes in 2's or 3's its still gonna cost me for buying the packs for the first time.

here's the cost for repairs at helidirect for my mini titan e325

base plate. 11.29
canopy. 12.59
main blades. 15.79
main gear. set of 2 6.89
rotor hub. 6.99
blade grip. 979
main shafts. set of 2 13.99
skids. 7.69
flybar control arm. 9.80
feathering shaft . set of 2 . 7.69
retaining posts. 3.00
tail rotor. 6.98
tail fin set. 5.50

add all that up with shipping and its over a 100 bucks. it was a major crash.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Skarn

I get everything for my TREX (SE v2) from www.techmodelproducts.com

Man, you did destroy it! I'm not familiar with the mini titan, but I assume you have mostly plastic? (blade grips, rotor hub etc)

The SE v2 is mostly metal and carbon fiber so not a lot breaks.

Yes, even though things come in 2's and 3's I only count the individual pieces since yes, you pay more up front, but then the next wreck you don't have to.

Skarn
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 AM
maximus75

ORIGINAL: Druss

ORIGINAL: maximus75

not many sub $500 RTf helis are really 3D capable, you may be able to do loops and rolls but that's about it. I personally do not like the blade series of helis but that's just me. The blade cp series are 300 size and therefore very difficult to handle and learn on. You can do it but it's hard. Going up to a 400/450 size heli would be much easier to learn on. The Esky Belt CP at $200 RTF may be an option for you.
That heli looks really good. The price is right too. I mainly want to start flying upside down and I cant do it with the cx. Also, what sim do you recomend for helis and palnes? thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Druss

If you don't have a remote yet then I'd suggest getting Real Flight G4 as it comes with one. Other good ones are Phoenix and Reflex XTR.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Burntt32
My Feedback: (1)

as Skarn stated, trex se v2 crashes aren't too bad. blades, shafts and fly bar rod are my usual. maximus, remember to factor in a sim as they run about $100-200.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
maximus75

I ordered the Esky blade cp from xheli.com. I also ardered the sim they have for 19.99. Its probably not that great but it comes with the transmitter so I'll try it
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Druss

make sure you change the esc on the belt cp... they have too many problems right now.

If you plan on flying it without changing the esc then I hope you have an infared temp gun so you can check the temps of the motor, esc and battery. Also, cut away the heat shrink over the heat sink, it gets no air the way they have it now.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
noobflyer01

Maximus you should upgrade the esc asap! another fellow flyer just bought a esky belt cp and it burst into flames while hovering. those esc's are a fire hazard.

Dont even try to fly it out of the box. upgrade your esc immediately or risk a flaming belt cp coming in for a crash landing.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7870364/tm.htm