Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

How Much Do Colors Matter??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

How Much Do Colors Matter??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM
golfingguy27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Do Colors Matter??

I am finishing up my Dragonus Elite that I am SUPER excited to fly after reading so many good things about them. I am relatively new to helis (2 years or so) but have been flying planes for 18 years. I am just starting to get into aerobtics in helis. Here's my question.. I am getting ready to paint my canopy and am trying to decide what colors to use. I know in planes having some distinct colors can greatly help orientation. Does it make as much difference in helis?? The frame and tail of the Dragonus are silver and I would really like to do the canopy purple, black, and white to make it kind of the Baltimore Raven's (my team) colors. I'm wondering how much it would hurt not having any bright colors on it??? The other choices I'm considering are the purple, yellow, and orange (sounds strange I know, but the three specific colors I use, do look good together) I do all of my IMAC planes in, or fluorescents like green and orange. What do you guys think??

Thanks,
Todd
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
UfcGuy39

Default RE: How Much Do Colors Matter??

First, You'll love the Dragonus. I have the NVII, and love it. So much so, I sold my Rex Clone, and picked up an Elite that I'm building right now, about 3/4 the way finished. Colors are good for orientation for sure. Especially with the 450 size. When you get the bird about 100 yards or so away from ya, it is easy to lose left/right and nose in orientation. I found with my first paint job, that Florescents went on kind of chalky. It was a Lime/florescent green to match my KB florescent tailblades. Wasn't happy with it, so made a change. A bunch of guys that I know have Orange/Yellow combination colors, which I think look really nice. They used airbrush to apply the colors, and look great. You can check out on RCG if you want to look up. Dragonus owners thread. Personally I think Ecaf's looks the best.

I almost forgot,,, Welcome to the Dragonus Owners Club. - - - Stay in touch, Rob
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using this combo of colors for about 2 years now, before then I used the stock canopy with the stock decals, not a great combination, now with these colors and some good quality sunglasses, it looks great!

I would advise against dark colors, (purple, blue, black, red, ect.) Depending on the light conditions, they all turn to black and you loose orientation of the heli.

Rafael
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92051.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1039382  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM
UfcGuy39

If you wouldn't mind, after finishing you Elite, post some feedback and pictures in the Dragonus II thread in here, in Xodarap's thread. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
golfingguy27

Thanks for the input guys! I will definately post some pics when I am done. I think I have an idea of what I am going to try now. Good thing is replacement canopies are cheap for it, so if I don't like one, I can just start over.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:29 AM
DriveWRX

I agree, certain colors just don't work. As already mentioned, they become dark (black) with certain light and for me at least, they tend to blend with the trees in the background.
Even white doesn't work sometimes.

Here's my current Dragonus canopy (easy to see! ):

Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Skarn

You know from MY experience, it all depends! If you are flying on a nice, bright sunny day, those yellow and orange colors are going to blend right in! I have a nice DARK brownish custom canopy and it's awesome during the day. But when I get near sunset time...it does blend in with the horizon/trees ver easily.

Skarn
Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 AM
golfingguy27

HHhmm just reealized a difference in planes and heli's.. I could have a day canopy and a night canopy!! lol
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Unstable

when i first starting flying rc it wasa with a nexus 30 (ok, ok dont laugh that much)

i had a pretty good two tone black and white scheme on the canopy and was fine... untill one dayI got turned around and almost punched it in due to lost orientation.

my first stop on my way home that day was to home depot were I got traffic cone orange spray paint.. never lost my bearing again...
(then i moved to planes for a few years and have just started getting back into helis with a t-rex 450)