Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 increase battery time? >

increase battery time?

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

increase battery time?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default increase battery time?

i just bought me a rc trex 450 heli and im having it upgraded to improve some performance like carbon fiber blades aluminium head instead of plastic parts.

my que. is it possible to increase battery time up to 20min+ or so? like do a piggy back set up? any thoughts? ive researched on some lipo batteries the ones i found seem really good.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: increase battery time?

The only thin I see really first off would be weight. The heavier these things are the more sluggish they are going to fly. If you aare wanting more flight time simplest method is the obvious... buy more batteries. I personally have six 2200 30Cs that I fly in mine and by the time I'm at the sixth battery I'm tired from all the concentration I have to do.

The switch between batteries gives the heli motor a bit of time to cool as well. More batteries also means you don't have to fly them down to their limits which means they should last longer. You are not working them as hard. I buy cheapies from HK and I balance them all before flying and so far have yet to have a problem with any of them. Besides at $20-25 delivered to my door I can fly them easy or hard because they are cheap enough to replace should one fail. IMO

happy fly'n
Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 PM

well the other thing is i am wanting to do fpv flying so i need something like 15 mins average if at all possible and these helis can lift 1.5 pounds of payload.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:52 PM

I have 2200-30A batteries and I get nearly 18-20 min flights depending on what I'm doing. Just hovering gets the longest flight times but everything else will eat time for sure.

happy fly'n
Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM

cool

so if i double packed them then i get 36 min? nice
Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 PM

It doesn't work that way.
The longest hover I have ever recorded is about 11 minutes on a 2200 mah pack.
But, if you double up the pack you don't get double the time simply because the heli has to work harder with the higher payload, add a camara and it will be even less flying time, add doing more than just hover, well you get the idea.
Lightweight camera and battery for the camera and just one battery with normal sport flying, no 3D and you are looking at about 7-9 minutes bepending on a number of other factors, add another battery and you will probably see 10-12 minutes, maybe.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM

oh ok
Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM

i like to really try to figure out some sort of alternator the way it would work in my mind is have a device that would pick up the downward thrust and spin a small fan with multibe blades in the cylinder shape that in return would collect the air and cause a current to flow through the wires and back into a 2nd battery with a voltage watch so if the first battery is being used while the othe ris charging and at a certain valtage like 9.5 volts it would switch to the other charged batter and charge the one previously used simutanously. someone give some thought about this this could be an answer to all energy problems idk. it popped in my mind one day.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Another thing to consider is the motor and esc as well.
They tend to get warm to hot under normal loads for the normal short flights.
Lets say you extend the flight time by quite a bit plus add all the additional weight, you may need a beefier motor and esc to handle it all without burning out.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:55 PM

you know i think the small fan would work by being mounted on the tail boom so to keep it away from being interfered from the downward force of the blades. i think if the fan is closer to the main shaft its at the strongest wind? Iin return it would help push down the blades harder than it would if it was near the tip of the rotors.

yes i think i need to consider a bigger electronic speed control plus a beefier motor as well. then it might have a chance to work. i like the idea of using a volt meter to monitor the first battery being used and program it to set the "limits" of the volts then it knows when to switch to the other batter being charged.

if for some reason we can find high quality space aged materials then its a possibilty to make this work. it may not conitnue forever but maybe itll last longer than 18 mins. max on a 2200 30a battery lipo.

another thought is to reduce the speed of the motor by having a larger gear connected to the motor and smaller then larger to the blades but at the same time have the gears spin at the rpm needed to be able to lift the wieght. so that way the motor doesnt have to work so hard and at the same time the alternator "the fan" can create new energy without sacrificing the electronics so much.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Those are crazy ideas. No wonder you call yourself CRAZYRYAN!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM

LOL... All things are pssible for sure. If you did an alternator why not run it by gear off the main gear or the like. Then you'll need a switching regulator to charge the batteries. Which you'd likely not get a whole lot of extra time out of them because you can only recharge a lipo at 1amp. Going over you risk it burning up. But who says it can't be done. Figure this out and you would make some serious coin for sure.

happy figure'n
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 PM

ah how about a switching regulator that you can tone the amp all the way down to like you said 1 amp to prevent just that? like a surge protector.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: droggy

Those are crazy ideas. No wonder you call yourself CRAZYRYAN!
hey hey it's just all fun theories!!