Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

dead lipo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead lipo...

Heres the problem... I inadvertently left out one battery over the winter that didn't get checked and the voltage is to low for the charger to charge... I've tried regular charging with lowest amp settings, regular settings and fast charge but the chargers will not charge it...

Does anyone know how to kick start a low voltage lipo??? I'm wanting to try and maybe get a little more life out of it if possible... I know once they go below 20% csp that they are generally done for but would like to try and revive it before I toss it in the bin...

Any ideas???

happy fly'ns
Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: dead lipo...

I've heard those cheap little Esky chargers that come with the King2 will try to charge a flat cell.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
DumbDawg

How about that... I just happen to have one of them... Going to give it a try... Thx dog....
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
J-MICHAEL

DD ~

My dad did the same thing on his Trex 600 last year with a Air-Thunder 6-cell 5000 mah lipo.... He called the company and the reps there told him to trickle it on a LOW setting in Nimh mode just enough for a few minutes to bring the charge up enough for the charger to then recognize it as a lipo... Long story short, it worked ! As you know, I would really watch it and only do it until the volts get up there enough. It shouldn't take much... Remember, this would only be something to do as a last resort. For the price of my dads 6s lipo we had to try something.

I've also heard of other guys doing this, and it has worked for them also but just be cautious as obviously its not to safe. Some chargers like the Bantam series will let you resort back to charging into a Nimh mode and such, and so since my dads encounter with that he purchased one from Air-Thunder just in case there is a next time.

Good luck !

~ Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
joshseigler

i tried the esky one on a lipo in the same boat and it would'nt charge it
Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Nice lipo chargers have a recover mode where it will give it a flat tickle charge until the battery voltage comes up then switch to lipo mode.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
DumbDawg

Well I've got a couple options here now... Many Thx guyz... I'll just see what the ESky charger does first... Maybe stick it on there for a bit and it may put enough juice into it for me to charge it on the other chargers... If not then I'd stick my charger on NiMh for a few minutes and see if it won't juice it up enough to recognize it as a lipo...

Mucho Thx

happy heli'n

Unfortunately mines not a nice charger... Speaks meanly to me and makes faces all the time... lol
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
DumbDawg

SHAZAAM!!! Seems to be working.... Put the charger, the mean one, on NiMh, .1 amp and left it on charge that way for about 15 minutes and then switched it over to lipo... Charger reconised it and is now charging it up... I have it on slow charge, still at .1 amp, and will charge it nice and slow.... May take a while but thats not a concern.... SWEET!!!! Going to have to remember that trick... Just in case I need to use it again... probably will... lol

Thx Jeff....

happy heli'ns
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
imora99

I have a Thunder Power 3S 2100 mA that I forgot to unplug from the ESC. When I realized it several days later (following weekend actually) and put it to my charger it was reading 0 volts. I have an Orbit Microloader and it allows to set the number of cells and the mA you want to charge. I connected the battery, set proper values (3S and 2100 mA) and the charger just charged it as usual. In a few minutes it had pumped it up back to about 12 volts and after that it went as slow as usual.

That was several months ago and the battery did not suffer any differences after this episode, I still use it without a problem. I don't know if other brands will be able to sustain a completely discharge and continue working fine, but in this case with this charger it worked fine.

Good luck
Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
DumbDawg

Well..... The battery charged up just nicely and even balanced out well too.... So lipo's it seems can be resurrected some... Wouldn't want to be doing this all the time but seems this time I got away with it....

Thx for the inputs guyz....

I'm not down one battery like I thought I was going to be.... cheers
Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
J-MICHAEL

DD ~

Whew.... Good to hear ya got it to work, and that ya didn't burn your house down...LMAO... I got a little to carried away the other day flying my Trex 500 and went just a little to far with the flight time and drained the Thunder Power 5s 3300 mah 25c lipo just a bit to much... I was like GREAT ! It bummed me out, because my Thunder Power 1010c charger wouldn't pick it up as a 5-cell even with the lowest setting. I thought I was going to have to refer back to the Nimh trick, but really didn't want to unless I had to since I never had to do it before, but just watching my dad do it to his. After the 4th attempt with the TP charger it finally took and went well then... Thank goodness !

Lol... I remember my dad doing the NIMH trick with his lipo and he was going to leave it trickling in his office for a bit while he went to do other things. I told him are you crazy ?! I told him I'll watch it, and also moved it outside in a safe clear area just in case... The tricky part was keeping the cat away from rubbing on the stool it was resting on with the wires coming down and going to the outlet !

See ya on the flipside,

~ Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
scorp27

gotta watch those cats, I have a kitten and if i forget to put my charge addaptors back in my transmitter case i have to search for them where she carries them off. Glad you salvaged the lipo.