Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

I had the Align step-down between the gyro and tail servo on my 550 too. They were cheap so I just ordered 3 of them while getting all the stuff for the build and figured I might need more someday anyhow. The second time I went to the field I had the 550 powered up sitting on the tailgate of my truck and checking the servo movements before flying and had no tail servo movement. Checked all connections, etc, then stuck a new step-down on and the tail was working fine.
About 5 weeks later, I had another one fail. Put another new one in and all was fine again. Fortunately, neither caused a crash, but I won't buy any more.
I don't have any Align helicopters , but have used Align parts on some of my helicopters and they have always seemed to be good quality stuff, so I don't know what the problem is with the voltage step-downs. Although Align most likely doesn't make them, they put their name on them so I figured they would be good too.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
jerrymac

Well, I guess today's lessen was about the importance of doing a good pre-flight inspection.
I went out to the field with 3 helis today for a few quick flights. Flew the King2 first and after a couple of quick fly-bys I heard a strange noise, but before I could get it back, it just fell outta the sky. Got it back to my truck and found that the motor screws came loose and the motor moved back away from the main gear. Luckily it fell straight down and there was no damage at all.
Put a drop of loctite on the screws and reset gear mesh and took the Blackhawk 450 out for a fly. Spooled it up to about 30 ft. in the air and it started to make a similar noise, then all of a sudden it just fell to the ground too.[:@]
The Hurricane 550 skids on it held up great,lol, there was no damage the the BH either, but both motor mount screws were missing and the motor was falling out.[>:]
I guess I had better take a little more time checking my helis over before I fly them. This has always been one of my bad points. Since I have very little free time, I just throw them in the truck and head to the field without checking them over properly before I fly.
Since I never fly if anybody else is using the field, I guess I just kinda got a little lazy on my pre-flights knowing that nobody will get hurt except me in the event of a failure.
Today's events convinced me to check them over better before flying. Hope others can learn from my mistakes.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 AM
dunkonu23

Sorry to hear that, Jerry. At least nothing was destroyed. Ikind of check the motor mounting/pinion as a post flight day thing. I started this after I had a problem with my BH500's pinion and since I've done that, everything is cool. My thought is this: Check/tighten after you're done for the day (and at home to let things cooll), that way you can just tumble in and fly from the get-go. A couple of things Icheck/tighten:

Pinion
Motor mountingscrews
Flybar see-saw bolt
Flybar set screws
Paddle set screws
See-saw arm bolt tightness
Washout arm bolts
Ball tightness
Main grips
Main bearing bolt tightness
Random chassis screws/bolts.

It might sound a bit anal, but it's what I do. Ihaven't found anything loose, but I have piece of mind when it comes to close-in flying

Scott

Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
dunkonu23

Here are some pictures of my Gaui... N-Flyer01 asked so he shall receive! One picture is with stock skids and was taken right after I finished the build.

Scott

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28331.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1284812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21680.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1284813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16068.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1284814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47723.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1284815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz14524.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1284816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gq71183.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1284817  
Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
noobflyer01

Very nice Scott!  Thanks for sharing these pictures.   it would make a great trainer!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
jerrymac

Lookin good Scott. I like the canopy. Is that a Fusuno from Helidirect? It looks much better mounted on a heli than it does looking at just the pic of the canopy itself.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
J-MICHAEL

Scott ~

I love the Gaui ! I've always been interested in those, since they seem like they are a decent price... What KV motor runs in those things, or at least in yours ?? I'am curious....

~ Jeff
Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
dunkonu23

Yep, Jerry... it's the Fusuno from Helidirect. Thanks, man! The angle Itook the picture from makes it look like a dachshund's head! I'm thinking of Outrage 550 canopies, but that's down the road.

Here are some mods for the canopy.

1. Use different grommets. The grommets that come with the canopy are Align grommets and just don't fit.
2. If you want to use Align grommets, you will need to turn down the canopy mounts.
3. I had to cut a little from the bottom of the canopy to made the fit easier, but I'm all about ease, these days.
4. If you look closely, Jerry... I took your suggestion and flipped the bottom mount! Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
dunkonu23

Jeff,

Iordered an 1100 Kv motor for mine, but both the package and the motor itself were mislabeled so I ended up with what appears to be a 1300 kv motor. I say appears because given my gearing, the head speeds aren't even close for an 1100 kv motor, but are spot on for a 1300 kv motor. I was alerted to this by a guy on Helifreak (Kahn) who took one look at a picture Iposted and said I have a 1300 kv motor. I've got an 1100 kv TonicX motor on hot standby. The Gaui motor really taxes batteries. The TonicX motor is supposed to be much more friendly.

Scott

Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

Very nice Scott! Thanks for sharing these pictures. it would make a great trainer!
Iwould love to use it as a trainer, man. I just can't bring myself to do it. It flies beautifully. Extremely stable and predictable. What I do want to do down the road is get the Head Hunter Heli CF frames; they fix some flexing issues that limit hard three-D use. Although, Kyle Stacy uses his (Gaui CF frames) for three-D flying.

Here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPKZs...layer_embedded

Scott

Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 AM
jerrymac

I really like the colors on that canopy Scott. When I built my Hurricane 550 last winter they didn't have the Fusunos in that color scheme. Now it seems that Helidirect is out of stock on it and since they are no longer going to carry Hurricane 550 parts they will probably not order any more of the canopies either. I think I can order one directly from Fusuno though. Guess Helidirect won't be getting much more business from me.
Hopefully Ka-Planes will continue to carry the Hurricane 550 parts though. Readyheli seems to always be out of everything too. I think AlleRC is located pretty close to Empire so they should be a good place too, hopefully.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 AM
dunkonu23

I thought the colors were excellent, too. I can really see the canopy against fall colors and against the sky, so it's all good. Yep, you can order straight from Fusuno. I haven't done it, but if anything happens to my canopy, I'll get a replacement from there. I have to tell you that Ireally like how Empire helped me on that defective swashplate. Both Jack and Bryan were super helpful and I got the replacement less than a week after I sent the defect. It does appear from Empire that they're completely committed to Gaui and that's a good thing. It also indicates that something is coming from Gaui. I forget the guys name at Allerc, but he was really good, too. I got my backorder boom from them shortly before the swashplate was returned. If had to pick a reliable sources for parts, it would have to be Allerc and Ka-Planes. The interesting thing is that Empire told me they're trying to cultivate more dealers, so that's a good thing, too. It does appear that the Gaui 550 is more popular in Europe, Asia, Malaysia, and Australia, though.

Scott
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
J-MICHAEL

Jeff,

I ordered an 1100 Kv motor for mine, but both the package and the motor itself were mislabeled so I ended up with what appears to be a 1300 kv motor. I say appears because given my gearing, the head speeds aren't even close for an 1100 kv motor, but are spot on for a 1300 kv motor. I was alerted to this by a guy on Helifreak (Kahn) who took one look at a picture I posted and said I have a 1300 kv motor. I've got an 1100 kv TonicX motor on hot standby. The Gaui motor really taxes batteries. The TonicX motor is supposed to be much more friendly.

Scott

Scott ~

Thanks for that info.... Yeah I was curious what those Gaui 550 take in terms of the motor size. Maybe someday I'll be able to get one, as they seem very reasonable in price and I love the larger size... I have a Hacker 1185 kv motor that is new and has always just been sitting and so my intentions were maybe then someday it could go into a bigger heli, and that's what got me curious on what size the 550 took....

Thanks again....

~ Jeff
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 AM
dunkonu23

According to a regular poster and Gaui/Empire Hobby insider, Gaui is going to be coming out with something new around Christmas. It's rumored to be a competition type helicopter. So, we'll see. Honestly, though... I'm thrilled with the 550. It's stable beyond belief and a true joy to fly. Granted, I spent a lot of money on it (beyond the $50.00 my wife spent at IRCHA for it), but it's worth it.

I wasn't able to get a decent video during the day yesterday, Jeff. I was trying different camera positions so it wouldn't look like a fly going by, but couldn't find one. I ended up crashing into a leather sofa we have and broke a link on the blade grips. I've got spares, but had to get to bed for work (where I am, now). I'll fix it when I get home and try some more.

Scott
Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 AM
jerrymac

Well, I guess I jinxed myself. Haven't had a crash in quite a while, which was good since I didn't have any of the 'normal' crash repair parts on hand. Ka-Planes recently restocked the BH450 parts, so, last Thursday I ordered the usual, spare tail boom,main gear,flybar, etc.
The place I fly at is 2 practice ball fields side by side, but lots of people use it for other things like practicing hitting golf balls. I usually take off from 2nd base while standing on the infield, but with all the rain lately the infield was muddy so I decided to use the grass area between the 2 fields.
I spooled it up, then just as I took off the heli spun outta control and hit the ground hard. I haven't checked all the damage yet, but broke a set of CF blades,stripped a couple servos,bent the flybar,and stripped the main gear.
When I picked the heli up I found what looked like fishing line wrapped all around the tail shaft and blades.
It was clear so that must be how I missed it when I set the heli down to get ready to fly. Worst part is that my parts did not come yet, and I didn't order any spare CF blades. I have some woodies here but my last crash was do to a wood blade splitting at the root and flying off while in flight. Oh well, winter is coming so maybe I will just quit flying till spring comes.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 AM
dunkonu23

OMG! Crashed because of fishing line! Damn, Jerry that does suck. Do people go out there and practice casting? I wish people would clean up after themselves. I'm so sorry to hear you're contemplating not flying anymore this year. Seriously, man...it makes me sad. I was kind of looking to you for inspiration during the cold days because I read where you wrote you fly in the snow. Don't be dejected, man! Hang in there.

Scott
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
jerrymac

Well Scott, I think the frustration was simply because I don't have the parts right now to get the BH450 back in the air. Still didn't get the parts I ordered last Thursday. You know me, I won't let the cold or snow stop me as long as it is not too windy. Just get a little frustrated when I have a crash and don't have the parts to get back in the air.
I think I am now gonna order all the electronics to finish the Hurricane 425 build. I like being able to take at least 2 helis to the field, and I have pretty much decided to retire the King2's as they just require too much tinkering to keep in the air.
The Bh450 is a nice heli, but seems to be getting too hard to get parts for it. Not enough people carry them and Ka-Planes is always out of stock on the most common parts that get damaged in a crash.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 AM
dunkonu23

That's odd if you ordered the parts from KaPlanes. They're usually pretty fast. But I do know what you mean about not having the parts on hand. I think I'm gonna fly my BH500 until it won't fly anymore, though. I have enough parts for a store on that one.. or so my wife and step daughter say!

It's good to know we're still gonna be able to trade stories about snow flying. I actually can't wait. At least then the kids won't be on the soccer field!

Let me know how it goes on the 425 build. I'm anxious to see what you decide on.

Scott
Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 AM
jerrymac

Well, I got my parts today and got the BH450 repaired, sort-of. Since I ordered some spare parts Before the crash, I didn't get an extra set of CF blades so I put a set of woodies on it for now till I get new blades coming. Also, after a previous crash a few months ago that sheared off the motor shaft I been running an 11T pinion on the stock motor. Not sure what came on it though as I never found the broken end of the motor shaft. Today I put a 13T on it during the rebuild because the manual shows that in the parts listing, but that will make the head speed about 2800 to 2900 which might be too high for woodies.
When I spooled it up in the basement to check blade tracking, one of the flybar paddles flew off and almost hit me. It is kinda a poor design as the paddles are only held on by a grub screw. Since the flybar is the same diameter and length as my King2, which has threaded ends and paddles, I just used a spare set for the King2 on the BH450. Hopefully the threaded ones don't come off.
Anyhow, if it don't rain Thursday I will take it out to the field and give it a test flight. I just hope the woodies can handle the higher head speed. I would really hate to have another crash like I did once before caused by a wood blade breaking out at the root and flying off while in the air..[:@]
Old 10-29-2009, 05:51 AM
dunkonu23

Man, I know what you mean about a poor flybar/paddle design. I had the exact thing happen to me around March. Scared the s*** out of me. I'm happy you found an alternative. Itried TRex 450 flybars and they don't fit through the see saw, so that was out. I ended up CA'ing the thing with the set screw in it to the flybar. Ihaven't had one fly off since, but Ilike your idea better.

I won't get any flying in today. Igot called in early to work and have to stay late for a meeting so I'm just going to go home and go to sleep.

Scott
Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 AM
jerrymac

Well, after a complete rebuild, including new swash plate, all new link ends, dampers,spindle shaft, etc. I took the BH450 out to the field today. Spooled it up into a hover and it was perfect. Hovered nearly hands free. Started flying some slow circuits to see how it flew, and about 2min. into the flight, I heard a pop and it came crashing down.
Seems the new swash plate was defective and one of the balls pulled out. There were no threads in the hole. Kinda frustrating when a perfect build turns to pieces because of a brand new part failure. I haven't even bothered to check over the damage this time as I am getting tired of rebuilding this thing.
Finished out the day with 3 great flights on the Hurri 550 though. At least the Hurricane hasn't let me down yet.
Not sure if I will bother to rebuild the BH450 again. Just put $100 worth of new parts on it including new CF blades only to get 2 minutes of flight before a new part failed.
I think I will just retire the King 2's and the BH and just fly 1 heli, the Hurricane 550 until I get my Hurri 425 built.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 AM
dunkonu23

That's a damn shame. Have you thought about contacting KA-Planes about it? They were pretty good with me regarding my bad blades and bad motor. I dunno... it's your call, bro. Ijust hate to see another BHowner move on. I guess it happens, though. I'm truly sorry about your crash, Jerry.

Scott
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I've gotten a black hawk 500 gp from helihobby when i was at alaska working. This was on january on 2007, i came back home when the season was over, I put all the servos in and just lost interest because in that time heli was complicated for me. Anyways I flew that year a walkera and axe cp. Anyways i ended up selling the black hawk 500
gp later that year. Then on 2008 I baught a black hawk 450 the plastic version and wow what an awsome heli. L8ter that year I baught the black hawk 500 pro se gp which is
all carbon fiber and aluminum parts with a hot .15 engine. Then same year i baught the black hawk 500 ep. This year i flew my black hawk 500 ep and had a accident.
And on my black hawk 500 se pro i traded for a bigger mini helicopter called smartech pegasus which run on a .18 engine swinging 440mm blades. I regret doing that.
Last year black hawk 450 had a huge accident, one of the links that connect to the blade grip got disconnected and hit the ground HARRRRD. Anyways I really miss
the black hawk 500 gp se pro. Stupid mistake, now its a discontinue model, helipro website when down. And only heli i can get is the plastic version of gp that is called
protech 450ic. ANyways....

Here are my helipro helis pictures. Enjoy guys their good pics.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...1173354&page=1
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
dunkonu23

Sad story, Jim. I'm still flying my BH500. It's beat up, but it still flies. It's pretty much taken a back seat to my T-Rex 500 esp and my Gaui 550.

Scott
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I do regret letting go black hawk 500gp pro se. I got tired because i wasn't to advance. Now that i'm advance and built other heli this year and stuff, I learned all the skills and now I regret giving up black hawk 500 gp pro se. Now on the other thread i said i had a small crash (helipro 500 ep) because main shaft broke in half. I left it collecting dust, i needed part for my helimax mx 450, well I wanted extend the boom farther so i used black hawk 500 and tail case assembly, been flying for a month without problem until the black hawk 500 tail blade grip screw broke in half too because the super high torq of scorpion 2221-6. But being a long term helipro fan, I don't regret helipro. I had alot of fun with my helis. Anyways helipro always been a brand i really enjoyed. No matter which one. I think i put atleast half a tousand flights on both helipro 500 ep and helipro 450 ep and 50 helipro 500gp. Great times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.