Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helipro Blackhawk owners; Past, Present, Future

Well, it seems that the BH450 will be back in the air soon after all. I emailed Ka-Planes and advised them about the faulty swash plate. Christina emailed me back and asked me to give her a list of all the parts that got damaged from the ensuing crash caused by the swash plate coming apart, so I did.
She emailed me back today and told me that she had just shipped out all the parts to me that got damaged in the crash. As soon as they arrive, I should have it back in the air in a few hours.
I was hoping that they would replace the swash plate, but it turns out that they went way beyond that.

Christina and Ka-Planes are simply the best.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
dunkonu23

Here's a link to the VERYfirst flight of the Hurricane Framed 550. There's no canopy because I've got a fitting issue to overcome. There's also a possible bearing issue that shows up on spoolup and at normal mode. Those will get fixed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAY22nfUONM

Scott

Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM
dunkonu23

Here's a link to the "tour" video.. be gentle it's my first time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHNYFIJAyhg

Scott
Old 11-14-2009, 02:50 AM
jerrymac

Hey Scott,
Sorry to hear about your Hyp. motor failure on the 550 in the other forum. Are you gonna use the z-30 in it now. How do you like Ben's frame? Been thinking about getting one, but then, I might have to get 2 or the 425 build will get jealous.
On another note. Christina at Ka-Planes sent me all the parts that got damaged in the crash from the new swash plate failure, so I got it rebuilt and gonna take it out for a test flight on Saturday. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, but, got honey-dew projects on Sunday. Hope it flys as good as it used to before the crash. I had it flying about as perfect as I am probably capable of.
As much as I sometimes get frustrated with the BH450, mainly from dumb luck, it was my first heli, so, I just can't seem to keep myself from rebuilding it when it takes an unplanned landing.

Oh, and btw Scott, the vids were pretty good. Finless might have some competition in the future.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
dunkonu23

Thanks, Jerry!

The motor failure really came as a surprise. I was thinking, "Wow! A powerful motor and no canopy mod!" Then boom. Oh, well. Yep, I'm sticking with the Z30. Istill have a minor tail issue to overcome from the crash, but I've got parts coming for that.. Ithink the tail hub bent. Frankly I don't see how something else didn't bend because the tail blades were chewed to hell; all in a powerless crash. Oh, well. I'll get it. In the meantime, I've fixed the T-Rex.

The HH frames? They're outstanding. Extremely rigid, almost like flying a piece of cnc aluminum but without the weight. I think they're worth every penny. Ray Stacy has been posting videos on the Freak of Kyle flying the frameset with some demanding 3d moves and it's held up remarkably. Ray's writes the gears have held up so that's the plus of rigidity. Mysticmeade kind of challenged Ray to have Kyle fly a 550 HH framed Hurricane with a gearing to pull about 2500 rpm headspeed and Ray took him up on it, so we'll see. In my case, the HH frames are definitely a keeper.

I'm glad that Cristina took care of you, and that you got your 450 fixed and ready to fly. Ka-Planes is a great store and Cristina is an absolutely great CS person. You seem a bit like me in that its hard to part from your first helicopter. I've got a few honey do projects today to get out of the way, as well so I don't know if I'll be able to fly much. Tomorrow's free, but I have to get back on my night's schedule. It sure was nice to be on days for a week! Let me know how the BH450 flies. I'm certain you'll get it flying every bit as good if not better than before.

On another note... isn't the weather just about as strange as ever? I mean high 50's low 60's this week when last year at this time, there was over a foot of snow on the ground! We had a white Thanksgiving last year and then boom... rain and melt off. December 12 last year... six and a half hours to get home. Whiteouts all over the place, wrecks, stalls. And so far this year... extended Indian summer.Are you done mowing? I mowed last weekend for the last time. I still have to fertilize (that happens today) for the winter, then after that... NOMOREYARD WORK until spring.... YESSSSS!!!!

Scott

ORIGINAL: jerrymac

Hey Scott,
Sorry to hear about your Hyp. motor failure on the 550 in the other forum. Are you gonna use the z-30 in it now. How do you like Ben's frame? Been thinking about getting one, but then, I might have to get 2 or the 425 build will get jealous.
On another note. Christina at Ka-Planes sent me all the parts that got damaged in the crash from the new swash plate failure, so I got it rebuilt and gonna take it out for a test flight on Saturday. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, but, got honey-dew projects on Sunday. Hope it flys as good as it used to before the crash. I had it flying about as perfect as I am probably capable of.
As much as I sometimes get frustrated with the BH450, mainly from dumb luck, it was my first heli, so, I just can't seem to keep myself from rebuilding it when it takes an unplanned landing.

Oh, and btw Scott, the vids were pretty good. Finless might have some competition in the future.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:45 PM
jerrymac

Well, I didn't have lots of time to fly today, but I did get to run 3 batteries thru the newly rebuilt BH450, and it flew perfect. I guess I can quit crashing now since I learned how to repair and set the heli up great from all the previous mishaps.[>:]
Only had 1 problem today. The BH was flying so good that I musta got too excited, and on the last flight I forgot to turn my timer on and flew till it lost power. It puffed the lipo real bad. I guess "puffed" would be the wrong term for this one as it swelled about half again its original size. It looked like a 6s brick instead of a 3s,lol. Oh well, it was the first lipo that I bought as a spare when I got the heli so it has had lots of use in the past year.

Yeah Scott, I saw the video of Kyle wringing out the 425 with the HH frame. Looked pretty impressive. Guess I would never have to worry about stripping a gear with the HH frame, huh. I think the weather is a blessing from the Heli Gods. No other reason for it to be 70 degrees here in the middle of November, and not a cloud in the sky.

Gonna mow the lawn at least one more time just to mulch up and bag the neighbors leaves that blow in my yard. After that, it will be time to start shoveling snow.[:@]
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 AM
dunkonu23

I hear you about the leaves...I did my last cut about a week ago. I got all the leaves in that cut! I still have to put down fall fertilizer though... I kind of dread that, but it's cheaper than having a lawn service company do it. Last time I had a company do my fertilizing, they killed 80 percent of my front yard. So, I do it myself and get better results!

I hope you get to fly before the winter closes in. I hope I do, too. I didn't get to fly at all last week because I was on days for a class. Just as well, though. Yesterday, I found one last piece of damage from my motor failure. The tail rotor hub on my Hurricane was bent. I kind of figured it would be so when I ordered parts, I ordered an extra tail assembly. I'm kind of ticked about that. It has been sitting at the post office in Detroit for two days and just yesterday it made its way to Pontiac. I hope it comes today because I'm off tomorrow and can get to replacing the hub and flying. The T-Rex is perfect, but it has been a bit windy here so I'm hesitant to fly that. Today should be perfect, wind-wise though.

I got two more batteries for the Hurricane so that means I can either trash the Turnigy's I've been using to bring my count up to four, or still use them sparingly; they're puffed a bit. I didn't really want to spend the money on new Hyperions but I figured I'd get them now, break them in, and see what happens weather wise. I do plan to fly in the winter, but I don't know how much. I guess that depends on how cold it gets. Usually, when its cold here, it gets very windy. I just hope both of us gets flying weather. I have to get better at flying somehow!

Scott
Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 AM
jerrymac

Yeah Scott, I hear ya about the winter wind. It seems like it is always real windy here all winter. Damn cold air blowin down here from Canada, and lots of "lake effect" snow before Lake Erie freezes over. Oh well, as George Carlin used to say, "If ya don't like the weather, MOVE",lol. My wife was born and raised in the hills of eastern Kentucky and still has property there, so, some day soon we might be moving down there. The weather is much nicer than it is here.

I think I am gonna hold off buying any new lipos before winter, since I probably won't get to fly too much till about May(sigh). I got 3 pairs of 3300's for the Hurri, but down to only 2 good ones for the BH450. I also need to save up to finish the 425 build, and will need to get some lipos for it when I figure out what size would be best for it. What lipos are you using in your Trex 500?

You guys are also makin me wanna get a HH frame too, but now I wouldn't know whether to use it in the 550 or the 425, so, now I would have to get 2 of them so the other Gaui don't get jealous.[&o] My wife would probably throw me and my helis out the door.

Anyhow, good luck with getting the Hurri back in the air, and hope the weather holds out a little longer.
On a sad note, it seems that the city has been having a big problem with people dumping trash at the field where I fly, so the city blocked it off to the public. Now I have to try to find a new place to fly within a reasonable distance. There is a huge state park that has some large mowed areas that I could fly at, but it is about 18 miles from my house, where-as the old field was about 1/2 mile away.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 PM
dunkonu23

Jerry,

I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I''m using Hyperion G3 VX 2200 35C's and Thunderpower Pro Power 2250 25 and 30C's on my Trex. To tell you the truth, other than charge times (the Hyperion's are faster), Ican't tell much of a difference. The Hyperion's are lighter and smaller, but like I said, either works fine. Kyle Stacy as you've probably read is using the Hyperion VX 2600 35c's in his 425 along with a prototype Gaui motor.

I'm stunned to hear about your flying site being abused like that. It's sad.

How is the weather holding up there? We've got snow in the forecast for Friday.

Again, I apologize for not replying sooner.

Scott

Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 AM
jerrymac

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the info on the batteries. And yeah, it is very sad that people would use the public ball fields as their waste dump. I was talking to a guy there last week when I found it blocked off and he said that someone dumped several loads of old drywall and plaster right in one of the outfields. It seems that there are alot of ignorant people in the world today.

As far as the weather here, we are supposed to get some snow showers on Friday, but the weekend looks to be a little better with temps. in the mid 40's. Next week looks ugly though with lows in the teens. As long as it isn't windy I'll be out there flying with my gloves on. Unfortunately, it is usually very windy here most of the winter.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Jerry..
Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 PM
dunkonu23

Thanks, Jerry!

Yeah, that REALLYsucks. Idiots rob people of public places. I don't understand the mentality.

It's windy too here in the winter, then again it's windy most days after 10am. I'll probalby get to the soccer field this weekend and fly some, but like you, I sort of dread the next few months. I haven't checked the weather for the next week, but I think it's similar to your weather.

Anyhow, people are arriving, so it's time to visit the non-helicopter folks among us!

Scott