Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:11 AM
tocano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona 120 Mods & Hop-ups

Hi guys, I just came back from 4 days trip to Sydney. She is ready except for the canopy has not been painted. Just built the training gear yesterday. I am going to paint the canopy yellow like MiniBoy's, kind of strange with violet color boom but I will paint it black once I get it going.
Zflyer, sounds like you've been having fun with your heli. That's great to hear.
I hope we have a nice weather this weekend so I can test fly her.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by tocano
Hi guys, I just came back from 4 days trip to Sydney. She is ready except for the canopy has not been painted. Just built the training gear yesterday. I am going to paint the canopy yellow like MiniBoy's, kind of strange with violet color boom but I will paint it black once I get it going.
Zflyer, sounds like you've been having fun with your heli. That's great to hear.
I hope we have a nice weather this weekend so I can test fly her.
I know what you mean about the purple boom, I didn't care for it either and actually removed the anodize so it was natural silver, wet sanded it hand polished it, was really nice...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:47 PM
tocano

I actually have a spare black boom but I did not decide on the canopy color until later so I used the purple one. Black looks nice.
I just tried the training gear that I built yesterday, the VE LG skid is not long enough to sit on all the training gear leg.
I will have to add 2 piece of dowels to the skids, they will be about 2 - 3" longer than the skids so the heli can sit on the training gear.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Tocano!

I noticed Zflier had a similar problem and I think his training gear actually may have fallen off.

Don't worry about attaching the two dowels where they cross, just mark the center of each dowel so that you will know where the intersection point should be. THEN attach each dowel to the skids, getting the two intersection marks resonably close together. I used rubber bands, as I think ty-wraps are too slippery (and maybe why Frank's fell off??). Good to go!
Happy and SAFE hovering,

Russ
Old 09-04-2003, 07:38 PM
BWRX

Originally posted by astronut30
I know what you mean about the purple boom, I didn't care for it either and actually removed the anodize so it was natural silver, wet sanded it hand polished it, was really nice...
I also went for the silver look, but I used EZ off to remove the anodized purple and steel wool to clean it up instead
Old 09-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Zflyer

Glad to hear it's just about ready Tocano, I just got my replacement blade today, it's been raining here so I haven't put her up for a while. One question for Mini Boy and Astronut30 I noticed the LMH Blades come in 2 sizes 12" and 13" I've got the standard 13's for the Corona but has any one tried the 12's on the Corona, seems like what Astronut30 suggested with the Blade Clip the 12's might give that extra head speed for more stabilty not that it's really needed but every little bit helps. On another note what's wrong with the Purple Boom I thought it was cool untill it folded from stikes
Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Mini Boy

My boom's painted yellow, and never been hit .....

not that it won't GET hit.......

And ...... JUST A THOUGHT ...... brushed motors enjoy their best efficiency (80%) at somewhere near 80 to 90 % of full R.P.M., so maybe the shorter main blades would work well ??

JUST a thought,

Russ
Old 09-05-2003, 03:20 AM
astronut30

Originally posted by BWRX
I also went for the silver look, but I used EZ off to remove the anodized purple and steel wool to clean it up instead
yes I did the same with the easy off, then fine sanded it after and hand polished it too much work for a first boom though hehe, I shoulda just left it purple, dented it all up in the first month...
Old 09-05-2003, 04:14 AM
tocano

I have to stick a dowel on each of the skids to make it sit on the training gear. I made the training gear where the leg join together in the middle with 90 degree angle between leg.
No big deal since probably only need the training gear for the first half a dozen flights or less hopefully.
Maybe I'll leave the boom purple even though it doesn't match with the canopy. I don't know how long before I need to replace it.
I'll post some pictures later this week.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:26 AM
tocano

I forgot to ask about the ESC, I have CC Pegasus 35 ESC. Do you guys use the defalut setup or did you pre programmed it for heli?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:49 AM
astronut30

You'll probably be fine with default settings but just in case, you should just program it.

cut off voltage= 5 volts is fine, it won't even be able to hover by the time you hit that...

cutoff= soft cut off

throttle= fixed throttle range...

I assume you have the programmable version..
Old 09-05-2003, 07:19 AM
tocano

I think I have the progammable version since it comes with the manual to program it.
Oh ya, yesterday I built a new battery pack 8 cells cp2400. The idea is so I can use it with my next heli like eco8, voyager e or robbe eolo. Any of you guys have these helis? Is eco 8 a good heli? I know I should not get another heli until I fly enough with my Corona but I am always tempted to get a CP heli. Ebay has some at reasonable prices.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:45 AM
tocano

Wow wow wowwww. I just got my first flight with my Corona. I was planning to have few little hops and adjustments until it felt right before I fly her. Ended up on the first hop I hovered her. It's soooo stable in comparison to my Hummingbird. I hardly needed any trimming. I emptied the first pack with few hovers. I could easily hover the whole pack in one go while with my Hummungbird I only get max 10 seconds so far before I crash it.
One thing that I noticed during the flight it had few glitches where I could hear the motor shut down for split seconds and the tail kicked on the same time maybe due to the motor shutting down. Maybe I need to reposition the electronic gear. I am trying to load few pictures yesterday by I have to reduce the size first since max size that can be uploaded is only 80K here.

With second battery pack (8 cell CP2400) it also had few glitches and when it got too far from me I landed her a bit too hard and the rotor hit the boom and broke the balsa that I sticked to protect the boom. And it suffered a boom crash damage.
So now I am fixing it and going to paint it black or maybe sand it down to the metal finish. I am to a hardware store to get a piece of dowel that fits the inside on the boom to straighten it out.

Oh another thing, the GY401 HH gyro is very impressive. I hardly have to to anything with the rudder. It makes learning a lot easier.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:43 AM
astronut30

Originally posted by tocano
I think I have the progammable version since it comes with the manual to program it.
Oh ya, yesterday I built a new battery pack 8 cells cp2400. The idea is so I can use it with my next heli like eco8, voyager e or robbe eolo. Any of you guys have these helis? Is eco 8 a good heli? I know I should not get another heli until I fly enough with my Corona but I am always tempted to get a CP heli. Ebay has some at reasonable prices.
Eco 8 and Voyager E are a little bigger than the corona and eolo which is about the same size as the Corona, I owned a Voyager and it is nice and smooth on a brushless set up but spending the money on it, Logo 10 is better, hands down, it's yet even smoother and stabler in wind and cyclic is way more crisp. It's just slightly bigger than an Eco 8 and VE, not by much. I never flown an Eco 8 but also heard it would take a lot of $ in upgrades to equal the flyability of a Logo right out of the box, plus it's really light which is good for run time but unstable in the wind. So if you're considering those two, go Logo, I wish I did from the get go.

As far as the Eolo, haven't flown that one either but heard really good things about them, that would be a good choice also, with that, it boils down to the size you want, the Eolo is smaller and roughly the same size as the Corona... With the cp kit that may come out by Christmas from choppahedz for the Corona, I don't think it would make sense going with an Eolo. I think the Corona's gonna be hot with the cp kit!!
Old 09-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Zflyer

Glad to hear you've got her up and Flying Tocano, What a difference from the HummingBird, it's just so much easier to control than a micro, Guess that's why they say more people have learned on an LMH/Corona than any other Heli, And like me you've probably spent enough on the HBird That you could have gotten a Corona to start with
Old 09-06-2003, 04:03 PM
tocano

I have fixed the tail boom and now it's black and I also painted the tail yellow to match the canopy. Tomorrow is going to be wet and windy so I don't think I'll be flying my Corona.

It's great to hear that finally someone is making the CP for Corona. It would be worth the wait. This case I'll just practise on my Corona and I get the CP when they are available.
Yes, Logo always get good feedback from people that own them but I heard it's pretty expensive. I think I will have a lot of fun with my Corona for a while and the idea of getting another heli soon maybe is not a good idea since I won't have enough time to fly them.

Zflyer, yes I have spent money on 2 hummingbirds + additional parts (some more on the way) and weeks of trying to fly it but
I still have more flying time with my Corona on the first day.
Still, I like to master flying the hummingbird.