RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Messed up Blade... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/3215981-messed-up-blade.html)

Crazy Canuck 07-30-2005 10:07 PM

Messed up Blade...

Hey all,

This is my first post in the Electric Heli forum, I can usually be found up in RC Trucks and such but I thought I would see if anyone else had this problem. I just purchased the Blade CP and got it all ready for it's maiden flight. Well I powered it up and the nose started to pull to the left so as per the instructions I powered it down and went to adjust the pot screw. Well the one that needed adjusting was stripped, there was no screw, just a mess of white plastic like someone had tried to turn it with a knife or something. I was pretty annoyed because now I have to go and return it and hope there is another at my LHS. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem or has had any problems out of the box with their blade.

Cheers
:D

Human_Enigma 07-31-2005 07:28 PM

RE: Messed up Blade...

To be honest I would be hard pressed to believe that it was messed up from the factory. And also convincing your hobby shop to replace it. It is a piece of white plastic, and the slot in it is almost microscopic. though if you use an eyeglasses sized screwdriver. it turns just fine. and remember.. only 1/8th of a turn max at a time.. Before you touch the pots though, its important to adjust the trim on the radio first then use the pot to center it back.

Crazy Canuck 07-31-2005 10:05 PM

Hey,

Well I went back to the LHS and after talking to another guy that works there, it was determined that the owner had had it out for a test flight and was seen tweaking the pot...he more than likely was the culprit but I can't prove it. He gave me an entirely new Blade so I can't complain. Being a beginner with this helicopter, it states in the manual to get it to hover and if the nose is turning to the left to adjust the pot screw (+). I got it hovering and it was turning left so how would I go about adjusting the trim on the transmitter? Would I slide the trim to the right to compensate for the left spin? Any advice would be appreciated as it is somewhat difficult to fly right now with the spinning and all...lol

Cheers

Human_Enigma 07-31-2005 10:14 PM

dont you mean being a beginner with any heli?. youll notice the instructions are quite vague.. this heli is not intended to be an introductory model, but because of its price.. it seems to be a trend.. first things first.. put some training wheels on it.. after that you can run through the basics..

Crazy Canuck 07-31-2005 11:05 PM

Yeah I got some trainers with it, figured they may be a bit of a lifesaver. So any advice on flying other than just taking my time? Yeah a beginner with any kind of heli is right. I flew (if you can call it that) a gas powered one a few years back but never really got into it. Didn't find it overly difficult, but then again I didn't have to take off or land, just "flew it" around for minute until my friend was uncomfortable enough to say, k times up, gimme the remote.

Cheers
:D

Human_Enigma 08-02-2005 01:22 AM

advice, hmmm lets see, first roll it around the pavement on the balls as if it were a car. dont even try to lift it off the ground. do this for quite a while. I'd say 8-12 battery packs. Adjust the tail trim on the radio in the direction opposite the nose tends to wander, adjust the trim so that when the heli seems to become boyant without lifting off the ground in low to no wind it pretty much holds itself straight for a few seconds without input to the rudder. Always Always keep the tail facing you and if there is any breeze Make sure ya keep the nose pointed into the wind at all times. After youve gotten over your neighbors pointing and laughing at you just scooting it across the ground for so long its time to start making teeny tiny hops with it.. no more then 1/2 to 1 inch off the ground.. Hop Hop Hop.. your neighbors will laugh some more. ( you can show them later by hovering it in their living room ) Hop Hop Hop.. and practtice hopping it straight up. if you notice.. it will tend to favor a certain direction as the balls come off the ground.. in time. this collective input will become more and more natural you may also want to click the collective trims on the radio to counteract this too. a little at a time. Its a balancing act. soon youll notice 1 second hovers.. 2 second hovers.. do this for a while.. and all this time.. your becoming more accostomed to another aspect of this hobby. getting the mechanical part of it dialed in. when your hovers begin to get to 4,5 10 seconds. this is the time youll want to start paying attention to how it reacts to increased throttle stick responses, The right pot.. or proportional mix matches the tail rotor thrust, to the throttle input to counteract the centrifugal forces the rotor head makes. The tail rotor " pushes " the model the direction its facing.. or the side that the tail rotor is on. so with this in mind. if the nose is wants to go right with increased throttle, its pushing the tail too hard to the left so you want to decrease the amount it pushes by decreasing the proportional pot.. once again. 1/8th at a time. and visa versa. do this until you can confidently hod a hover No problem Full battery packs worth.. After you master a stable.. motionless hover without ANY difficulty. Mastering the hover is the KEY to success in flying them.. after this.. drill drill drill tail in hovers around yourself in the most perfect circle you can manage left and right until your completly dizzy, concentrate in making them as steady and fluid as possible without going too fast. After that drill drill drill turning the heli at a right angle to yourself and attempt to circle it around yourself again both right and left. if it tends to sway. just land it and spin the tail back to you and start over.. Once you can safely do right angle circles fluid and smooth both directions.. this is the introduction to forward flight.