RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/4826535-falcon-40-exceed-heli-forum.html)

dknovick 02-11-2008 11:33 AM

RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

ORIGINAL: stump3r

I'm actually using the Blade CP/CP Pro tail motors and I'm not having issues at all. In fact if you jump up to 11.1 volt lipos they really fly nice.
I'm all ready running @ 11.1V, I'll have to check out the Blade tail motors... Is it a drop in replacement?

Thanks!

-Dave

dknovick 02-11-2008 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: alloutcustom

after my 4th battery on the falcon im off the training gear. Its sweet, im picking this up quickly.
Nice! :)

dknovick 02-11-2008 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Short Flight
One mod. that has helped me immensely in my low ceiling basement is eliminating those annoying detents on the throttle. I tried removing the detent tab inside the TX entirely, but it was then too loose and would sometimes throttle down on it's own. I ended up putting some electrical tape on top of the throttle teeth inside the TX and putting the tab back in. No more 'clicks', but it holds the throttle steady wherever I want it.
Oh, those detents are annoying! One click, I'm slowly falling, one click I'm slowly rising. Like I need something else to hold my attention on while I'm trying to keep the tail in and not smack things around the house... [:'(]

I took it one step farther. I just filed off the detents, so that it was just a smooth surface for the brass 'v' to ride on.

ORIGINAL: Short FlightAlso, I received one of those discount LIPO's this weekend (Mystery 7.2 900 MAH 15C). Charged it up but only got a minute or so flight. After several recharges, performance dropped off quickly. On a full charge I would get a good lift off and approx. 5 second hover, but power would drop quickly and land. I can throttle down, wait 5 seconds, and get another 5 second hover before the power drops again. Performed the same way in my Lama, so I 'm assuming it's a defective battery?
That sucks. Probably is a bad battery. Can you cycle the battery (Charge/Discharge)?

dknovick 02-11-2008 11:45 AM

Couple items to note:

I ended up using a 7.5A on the main and a 3A on the tail. Have blown the 7.5 once. The 10A might be too high...

Also make sure that if you don't use insulated connectors you keep the exposed metal away from the motor housing.
The 10A would still protect the mosfet (it can source up to 10A).
The mosfet on the tail can source 10A as well, so you probably don't need one there.
Anyone burned out their tail mosfet?

And you definitely want to insulate the connectors (if you can!)

Disney1 02-11-2008 11:59 AM

Morning Dknivick:
I got rid of the detents on the throttle by removing the back of the TX CAREFULLY, there are short wires attached to the back of the TX case. You will see a metal friction arm on the side of the throttle joy stick. I put a small piece of fuel tubing over this and that converted it to a friction arm instead of a detent arm. You can also just swing the arm over to the right and it will allow the joy stick to slide easier. The nice part is you can try both with no harm to anything.
Have a Great Day
Ron

Wade2660 02-11-2008 01:30 PM

You guy are pretty fast [>:]

I was reading the entries about the direct drive system and decided to order the parts for my falcon.
Well in less then 24 hrs everyone was sold out of the parts. I did find everything but had to place 3 orders to get everything.
I`m looking foward to this mod.

Again thanks guys. This is the best palce..........:D

Short Flight 02-11-2008 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: dknovick

That sucks. Probably is a bad battery. Can you cycle the battery (Charge/Discharge)?

Yeah, I ran it down a couple times and fully charged back up - same thing. What was I thinking I'd get for $9.00!

My hero at US Hobby is sending me a proper $22.00 Lipo. (or I guess now its a $31. lipo).

stump3r 02-11-2008 08:33 PM

I'm actually using the Blade CP/CP Pro tail motors and I'm not having issues at all. In fact if you jump up to 11.1 volt lipos they really fly nice.
I'm all ready running @ 11.1V, I'll have to check out the Blade tail motors... Is it a drop in replacement?

Thanks!

-Dave

Direct replacement, two screws, a little solder, your flying! ;)
I have upwards of 30 to 40 bats through mine and she is still solid, well that's exaggerating a little bit. If I only give her 10 minutes to cool after a flight she gets a little waggy through the second battery from heat. Michael just shipped my heat sinks today so we will see if that helps with the wag on the second flight. Now comes the caveat I'm running a CP Pro 3in1 and an AR6100 flying with my DX7. Now for the most part I fly with 7.4 volt lipos. However this weekend I was with one of my flying buddies and was putting around with his 11.1 volt lipo and I found the tail actually perked up a bit with the 11.1. It's worth a try, worst case it was a 10 dollar trial.

One Mile Up 02-11-2008 10:33 PM

Man, I'll tell ya what...

I switched over to the 11.1 volt Lipo today (and replaced the blades with some Venom's) and HOLY CRAP what a difference! It was the first time since CHRISTMAS (when I received the heli) since I have seen it in the air more than 1 foot...

Now I just have to get the balls to give it the throttle to get her above the ground turbulance. For now though, I am a happy capmer! :D

dknovick 02-11-2008 10:49 PM

...Now comes the caveat I'm running a CP Pro 3in1 and an AR6100 flying with my DX7.
Hey, that's cheating... :D
So you can't say if it's the motor, or if the CP Pro's 3in1 gyro is better then the Falcon's 4in1 gyro...
Hmmm...

dknovick 02-11-2008 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: swivel_dick

Man, I'll tell ya what...

I switched over to the 11.1 volt Lipo today (and replaced the blades with some Venom's) and HOLY CRAP what a difference! It was the first time since CHRISTMAS (when I received the heli) since I have seen it in the air more than 1 foot...
Figured you just needed to juice it up a bit! Happy flying!

-Dave

Nitro_Monger 02-11-2008 11:29 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob that wants to get into flying RC helis, and am planning on buying a Falcon 40.
I read in this thread (great thread BTW) that the Falcon 40 is the same as a walkera DF4, but what about the walkera DF4#1?
Is it the same bird, or are there differences?

Also, would it be possible if we can compile a list of makes/models that are identical or similar to the Falcon 40?
This will make it easier to find parts @ LHS (since most LHS don't really carry the Exceed brand)

Are there any "weak" points of the design that break often?
The reason I ask is so I can order spare parts when I place my order for the heli...

Also, where is the best online store where I can order a falcon40?
(I was thinking about ordering from Raidentech.com, but if there is a better place, I may order from there.)

Sorry if I am asking questions that may have already been asked/answered, but 161 pages of reading takes a while to go through ;)...

I really want to get into this hobby, and want to start off the right way..... With spare parts :D
I appreciate any response...

-Monger

Disney1 02-12-2008 08:33 AM

Morning Nitro Monger:
The DF4, and F-40 are basically the same, all the parts are interchangeable. There is a list several pages back in this post of all the helos that are the same. ( page 149 post 3718). The difference in the DF-4 and the 4#1 appears to be a slightly different rotor head design. You can change to the different rotor head when you break it. A lot of us on these pages buy from Michael at [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php]US Hobby Supply[/link], he has great prices and excellent customer support, and most stuff ships same day. He carries the DF-4 for $74.95, Some of his plastics, rotor blades tail motor gears etc. are two for one.
As for a list of spare parts, get a couple of sets of rotor blades, a rotor head, SuperSkids, ( the BEST thing you can do for your helo) A couple of Fly Bars, for starters. Then read [link=http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html]Radds School of Rotary Flight[/link], and DO the lessons when you get your F-40/DF-4. If you buy a DF-4 still join us as they are the same bird and most of us hang on both foruns. Also read this entire post from start to current, there is a wealth of info in here book mark all messages that you might want to go back to later.
We here on these pages welcome noobies to the addiction, and will help whenever we can. Don’t forget the only stupid question is the one you forgot to ask. Every one knows something that might help someone else.
Good luck and welcom the the hobby.
Ron

EDIT: Be ware of X-ehli and Raidentech the are no where near the customer service of anyone else. See next post.

Disney1 02-12-2008 08:46 AM

Morning all:
Just a note about X-heli and Raidentech. My daughters brainless boyfriend[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] ordered a Eagle 50 as his first helo. He ordered it from X-Heli over three weeks ago. They apearantly have a habit of letting a product oversell their in stock quantity. He still has no UPS tracking info and keeps getting told it will be here this week. He can only get a response from them with the on line chat, the phone dosent answer. It looks as though X-heli is still up to their old tricks, beware if you buy from them.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Have a Great Day
Ron

dknovick 02-12-2008 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Nitro_Monger

The reason I ask is so I can order spare parts when I place my order for the heli...
Welcome to the addiction! :D

To add to disney1's list (and to clarify):
rotor head core
tail rotor
body (there is a weak point where the tail boom is inserted into the frame, and the long moment arm of the tail boom doesn't help).

Thanks disney1 for the "update" on Xheli/Raidentech

Wade2660 02-12-2008 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Nitro_Monger

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob that wants to get into flying RC helis, and am planning on buying a Falcon 40.
I read in this thread (great thread BTW) that the Falcon 40 is the same as a walkera DF4, but what about the walkera DF4#1?
Is it the same bird, or are there differences?

Also, would it be possible if we can compile a list of makes/models that are identical or similar to the Falcon 40?
This will make it easier to find parts @ LHS (since most LHS don't really carry the Exceed brand)

Also, where is the best online store where I can order a falcon40?
(I was thinking about ordering from Raidentech.com, but if there is a better place, I may order from there.)

Sorry if I am asking questions that may have already been asked/answered, but 161 pages of reading takes a while to go through ;)...

I really want to get into this hobby, and want to start off the right way..... With spare parts :D
I appreciate any response...

-Monger

My experience with X-ehli and Raidentech was the same as everyone else and I think they are the same company. When I ordered my Falcon it was a solid 3 weeks before I got a tracking number. When I did finally get the bird there was a problem and I wanted to RMA it back and was told it would take 15 to 30 days to process the RMA and that was after they got the bird back to their store. I spent the money and replaced parts and forgot about doing the RMA. I also ordered TX/RX crystals from Raidentech and paid extra for UPS shipping. They shipped them snail mail.
I also ordered some air hogs and got them in a very prompt fasion. I think they just cant keep up with the demand for the Falcon and there is no question they will take your order regardless of how long the back order is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

stump3r 02-12-2008 02:42 PM

...Now comes the caveat I'm running a CP Pro 3in1 and an AR6100 flying with my DX7.
Hey, that's cheating... :D
So you can't say if it's the motor, or if the CP Pro's 3in1 gyro is better then the Falcon's 4in1 gyro...
Hmmm...
Truth be known I have been running the CP Pro motors with the stock tx/rx setup from week 2 with this heli. When I ordered her from Michael he was out of the stock tail motors but a buddy of mine said the CP Pro is a drop in and run them. The stock tail motor went in the trash a week after I bought the heli, the CP Pro motor went on and it is still the original and still flying. I also run the Blade CP Pro main motor with a 10 tooth pinion. Excellent power and lipo life, average flight time with the 7.4 lipo is 13 to 15 minutes, 11.1 lipo runs about the same maybe a little longer. The tail motor now that I think about it has to have over 40 to 50 flights on it at least.
Yes the gyro on the 3in1 is better than the stock 4in1 but it's what you can do with the tx that makes this little guy shine now. It sure has made this one nice flier. Couldn't be happier with this heli than I am right now. Well I could always go brushless :)

dknovick 02-12-2008 05:18 PM

Truth be known I have been running the CP Pro motors with the stock tx/rx setup from week 2 with this heli. When I ordered her from Michael he was out of the stock tail motors but a buddy of mine said the CP Pro is a drop in and run them. The stock tail motor went in the trash a week after I bought the heli, the CP Pro motor went on and it is still the original and still flying. I also run the Blade CP Pro main motor with a 10 tooth pinion.
Well, in that case, I'll give it a try (need to place an order with ushobbysupply anyway... [sm=tongue_smile.gif] )

but it's what you can do with the tx that makes this little guy shine now. It sure has made this one nice flier. Couldn't be happier with this heli than I am right now. Well I could always go brushless :)
I can definitely see where a programmable TX would do wonders!

One Mile Up 02-12-2008 05:35 PM

Man, I'll tell you this much... I can fly the sim with NO problems - but as soon as my bird leaves the ground (in real life) I feel as though I have no control and it inevitably crashes breaking parts!!!

I now need new blades AGAIN!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH [:@]

One Mile Up 02-12-2008 06:15 PM

HA! I just ordered 3 sets of blades!

I think I need to trim it out or something... It seems to have it's own mind when it gets into the air. I knew this hobby was going to be difficult, but FUN! :D

Wade2660 02-12-2008 07:38 PM

I think I need to trim it out or something... It seems to have it's own mind when it gets into the air. I knew this hobby was going to be difficult, but FUN! :D
I just got my first order from USHobbieSupply and there was 2 new sets of blades in the package. Nice!! I could not be more please with his service.
I had the same problem with my Falcon I spent some time balancing everything and trimed it out with a few little hops and that helped it out alot. I even started to feel like one day I would be able to fly it.
Well then I hit the wall and broke a servo..................LOL

Regardless of the down time I am having so much fun with it. I`m looking foward to a perfect hover over the coffee table. Now that would be cool!

Short Flight 02-13-2008 07:25 AM

Hey swivel -

A few posts back you noted that youve been flying a foot or so off the ground. I did this for a few weeks and had the same difficulties you had - it tended to scream off in one direction or another, probably due to the GE.

A couple weeks ago I got the nerve to begin popping this guy immediately up to 4' or so, and once I caught it, much less dancing around and infinitely better over-all control. Guess you have to work on those balls!

Short Flight 02-13-2008 07:27 AM

Both birds down, waiting for parts again.... hope this ice doesn't slow down my mailman!

One Mile Up 02-13-2008 12:30 PM

Hey swivel -

A few posts back you noted that youve been flying a foot or so off the ground. I did this for a few weeks and had the same difficulties you had - it tended to scream off in one direction or another, probably due to the GE.

A couple weeks ago I got the nerve to begin popping this guy immediately up to 4' or so, and once I caught it, much less dancing around and infinitely better over-all control. Guess you have to work on those balls!
True dat brotha!
I think I need to go back through the posts and really concentrate on balancing out my bird... I have not done this yet. When I broke my blades yesterday I was out in my warehouse... I thought I would have adequate space out there - WRONG!

I decided to do exactly what you were talking about with popping it up to 4' of so... but that's when it flies off in it's OWN direction (out of control of course). Being a new pilot, my skills are NOT sharp (or quick) enough to catch it before it blunders into the rack(s), or wall, or floor, or the forklift, or the bay door, or the UPS man! LoL - I think I got em'
all ;)

Anyway, I am just glad to be able to get the darn thing off of the floor now... Now I just have to trim & balance it out.

Any quick suggestions? Maybe a link that'll take me straight to it? 160+ pages now in this thread!

WHEW!

Wade2660 02-13-2008 01:06 PM

swivel_dick

At the bottom of this link is the steps for balancing out everything. It is what I went by and it did help me out.

Good luck.[8D]

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/wal...elicopter.html

One Mile Up 02-13-2008 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Wade2660

swivel_dick

At the bottom of this link is the steps for balancing out everything. It is what I went by and it did help me out.

Good luck.[8D]

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/wal...elicopter.html

... dude - YOU ROCK!

Thanks a million!

Darryl :D

GAU-8 02-13-2008 11:42 PM

concerning X-HELI, my brother had the same issue. ordered, 2/3 weeks went by. no tracking order no nothing. he thought maybe he screwed up the order, his credit card hadnt been charged. so that solidified that mabye he screwed up on a click or two. he ordered again, withing 2 hours BOTH helis all of a sudden had tracking orders, and he got double charged. they both arrived one day apart from each other 4 days later.

(i guess the good part of the story is thats how i got mine for free ...(gift from bro).

GAU-8 02-14-2008 12:51 AM

i have run across this a few times.. is this what some of you guys are using to get a brushless motor in the heli. if so, what do you need to do in addition/prepare (motor type/brand/TX/RX..etc )for the conversion.

if this isnt it, what are you guys using to convert to brushless?

anyways, i have seen this at a few different sites..http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...roducts_id=372

Short Flight 02-14-2008 07:39 AM

Anyway, I am just glad to be able to get the darn thing off of the floor now... Now I just have to trim & balance it out.

Any quick suggestions? Maybe a link that'll take me straight to it? 160+ pages now in this thread!

WHEW!
I guess it is all in practice and repetition, but at some point you'll 'know' which way she's thinking about wandering and make a slight correction 'before' this happens... don't ask me how or why but it was almost like a switch going off for me.

When I pop off the ground I almost always give some right cyclic cause i know she's going to try to move left on me... the trick is not to over correct - yeah, right!

Short Flight 02-14-2008 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: GAU-8

i have run across this a few times.. is this what some of you guys are using to get a brushless motor in the heli. if so, what do you need to do in addition/prepare (motor type/brand/TX/RX..etc )for the conversion.

First off I know little or nothing about this conversion, but in some of the 'brushless' posts I saw it appears like the stcok 4-in-1 will not do the job... I think I read you need something like $150. worth of parts to make the switch?

On another forum there was some discussion about 'hacking' the stock 4-in-1 so that it can run a brushless. They were talking about occiloscopes and other fancy equipment to make it work. Can anyone put this whole thing in layman's terms?

If it really is a $150. conversion, then WHY DO IT on an $80. copter?

Wade2660 02-14-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: GAU-8

First off I know little or nothing about this conversion, but in some of the 'brushless' posts I saw it appears like the stcok 4-in-1 will not do the job... I think I read you need something like $150. worth of parts to make the switch?

On another forum there was some discussion about 'hacking' the stock 4-in-1 so that it can run a brushless. They were talking about occiloscopes and other fancy equipment to make it work. Can anyone put this whole thing in layman's terms?

If it really is a $150. conversion, then WHY DO IT on an $80. copter?
Lord knows I`m just as confussed about the brushless motors as anyone else. From reading about them all threw these threads I think the link from USHobbieSupply is all that is needed. I have added that product to my shopping cart atleast a half of dozen times but always chicken out. I think, Well I had better research it more first.

But I`m sure somewhere I have read that this is all that is needed. (link) and it will work with the 4in1. I bet Mike @ USHobbieSupply could answer that question for all of us. I havn`t done it because I`m concerned with how much weight will this add to the bird.

Again just me 2 cents worth.

http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...roducts_id=372

broggyr 02-14-2008 09:03 AM

I am currently waiting for my replacement MOSFETS (they were delivered to my workplace, but I have been out all week due to illness). I didn't even get a chance to install the brushless conversion kit. However, it comes with everything needed to go from a brushed motor to brushless:

- brushless motor
- Electronic Speed Control
- Converter

Cost was $70 for all 3 parts plus shipping. These items will allow you to use your current 4-in-1 (provided you didn't burn up the MOSFET like I did) LOL -- as soon as I get back in the air with the new MOSFET, then I'll try the conversion.

billmay 02-14-2008 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: broggyr

Cost was $70 for all 3 parts plus shipping. These items will allow you to use your current 4-in-1 (provided you didn't burn up the MOSFET like I did) LOL -- as soon as I get back in the air with the new MOSFET, then I'll try the conversion.
Looking forward to hearing how both installations go. Good Luck!;)

Bill

Wade2660 02-14-2008 10:45 AM

broggyr,

Is the conversion kit you ordered the same one that is listed on USHobbieSupplies site?

Thanks.

LoudEye 02-14-2008 12:04 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a falcon 40 and can fly it tail in. My big problem is that the heli will not stay in the air. Not due to pilot error but actually it feels underpowered (1 foot off the ground after 2 minutes with the throttle all the way up on a 7.4V 1300mah 18C Lipo battery). So I changed out the motor to a 370 venom fireball with 12T .05mm pinion and WOW what a big difference. The helicopter had plenty of power but unfortunately the tail motor was being pushed to the max to keep up with the new power to the main rotor.

Anyhow, I got maybe 5 solid minutes of flight before the 4in1 poofed and the magic smoke that makes the heli fly, came out. Everything in the 4in1 works MINUS the throttle. I was curious if there was a way to repair the MOSFET? Anybody have a link to purchase? I really like the performace difference in this helicopter with the more powerful motor. Anyhow, if I were to repair it, I have to get a new 4in1 and would also need a new main motor. This made me think about a slight upgrade.

Can someone provide guidance on the best replacement parts for these 2 things? I have a 6 channel Futuaba PCM TX and was considering replacing the stock electronics with brushed/brushless but would need help with the parts to buy as I am new to Helicopter world.

If I go brushed, I would need to buy....XXXXXXX....to make this heli fly with my futaba TX.

If I go brushless, I would need to buy....XXXXXXX....to make this heli fly with my futaba TX.

Any guidance from the pros would be very appreciated. I really like flying helicopters but that is also part of the problem. I want to FLY the helicopter...not just watch it wallow in the Ground Wash 1 foot off the ground.

Thanks!!!

NOTE: I understand that my battery is pushing out about 23.4 A so I would need at minimum a 25 amp speed control - preferably with BEC.

broggyr 02-14-2008 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Wade2660

broggyr,

Is the conversion kit you ordered the same one that is listed on USHobbieSupplies site?

Thanks.
Not only is it the same kit Michael offers, but he's the one I got it from! :)

Wade2660 02-14-2008 12:58 PM

broggyr

Great!! I was hopping it was. Be sure to let use know how it works out for you.

broggyr 02-14-2008 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are several references to these links and model numbers of the MOSFETS; there are 2 styles. A drop-in replacement that handles more than enough compared to the OEM, and one that is a bit larger but is easier to solder (HRF3205) - I ordered the latter.

The attached photograph shows how the new MOSFET will be soldered to the board.

LoudEye 02-14-2008 01:47 PM

broggyr - can you get these at Radio Shack? Also - do you have a trace diagram? I can see the drain clearly but can't really see the source or gate connection. thanks a million.

broggyr 02-14-2008 03:15 PM

I did a search for them on RadioShack's site, but they didn't list anything.

As far as the connections go, you can use the identical chip next to it as a quide. There is more information further back in this thread (although I cannot recall where). I ordered the same chip that was referenced and will solder it as shown in the pictures. If it doesn't work, then you'll know it :)