Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Gerry!

You were absolutely correct!

That EDF produced lots of suction and my hairs on my arms were being pulled inside and I could feel the suction!!!

Just incredible power! I feel the "DUCT" has given it a new dimension but, of course the flight will be the determining factor!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
simano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Guys,

I just spooled up that EDF Unit and I was amazed at the power it produced and thrust.

I did not have the nerve to go FULL THROTTLE as I thought it was going to blow the camera down!

For a little 64mm EDF, it is very powerful! The Box says at or better than 1 kilio-grams of thrust!

That's more than 2lbs. of Static Thrust!!!! Wooo Hoooo!!

Here's the VIDEO:
[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15432943[/link]

Carlos, that video shows me the EDF has plenty of thrust!!!!...great work with the ducting mod to achieve those results...can't wait to see video of taxi (well it may not stay on the ground too long...he,he) tests!!!...

Gerry.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
guapoman2000

The Appliance Repairman just left and I am topping off the Batteries and packing to go at EORCA in an hour so, I should be there by 5:15pm

Looking at the weather forecast, it seems like Friday morning would be the best morning to fly the Space Shuttle because Sunday they predict high winds early.[]

I am off on Friday and will consider the maiden. If no one with a camera can come then, no worries I will setup my camera on the Tripod.

Carlos
Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
guapoman2000

Guys!

Just got back from the RC Club and I am amazed on the results of the TAXI test runs! I went there expecting the worse such as a wheel falling off or steering veering the model to the grass shoulder or worse the main gear wabbling or bouncing the model as it went down the runway run.

Nope! Very solid Mains and very soild nose wheel plus it tracked beyond my expectations! Did not dare go above 1/2 Throttle and it zoomed down the runway run very well and I was being real gentle with the throttle as there was a stiff breeze coming directly perpendicular to the runway (East).

A few post taxi run pictures sitting on the Setup Table we have at this RC Club (East Orlando RC Association).

Now for the VIDEO!!!

[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15442728[/link]
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
spaceshuttle1

Carlos
Good taxi test Will wait for tomorrow for first flight
Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Dwhart24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see the taxi test went good. i bet you were itching to just hit full throttle and fly that puppy.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
JimboGreek
My Feedback: (7)

Very cooool!! Can't wait to see the flight video!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM
simano

Successful taxi tests...tracks very straight...congrats on that milestone...next...maiden flight!!!!!

Are you still shooting for a Sunday maiden?.

Gerry.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM
guapoman2000

Well, at this point, I don't know because of weather forecast conditions and I don't want to pressure anyone to get up so early on Sunday to take advantage of super calm conditions only to find Fog and thereby low visibility.

I did go this morning at the RC Club with Asphalt Runway and found Fog and had to wait until the Sun was over the tree tops to allow the fog to burn off.

Flight "Maiden" Attempt Summary:

The Full Throttle was a bit disappointing as the model did not get into step with that high speed that I was expecting. The UP Elevator movement was useless with the pronounced Nose down setup. My buddies Gerry, Mark and a few others here warned me of this as the Real Look of the Space Shuttle is Cool to look at but, not practicle for RC and Rise-Off-The-Ground.

While the morning progressed, a few came with their models and they took out their own EDF Jets and found my Space Shuttle pretty cool looking and I demonstrated yet again the Taxi run and they quickly told me that the frontal EDF needs lots of open Air available to the unit. My tube did nothing except to reduce the Airflow and that the Rear Tube is the one that helps the EDF provide thrust.

Okay, let my post here...... YOU ALL TOLD ME SO!!!!

A few things I am doing right now is:

1. Reducing the Maing Landing Gear to nothing over 2 inches tall and which "is" the same height as that of the Nose Gear including the slope angle from the frontal FUSE.

2. Removed the entire "DUCT" Goodbye "DUCT"!![:@]

3. Building a floor to keep the small wires from the elevon servos, and other wires from being sucked into the EDF!

4. Weather permitting, I will attempt to fly on Saturday morning as Sunday seem to be filled with just too much wind.

Here's the VIDEO of today's maiden Attempt!

[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15455544[/link]
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM
guapoman2000

Oh, I almost forgot!

During my demonstrations of subsequent Taxi run tests so, those with more experience with EDF than I could see the model go down the runway, I noticed the Payload Bay Door cover being "SUCKED IN" towards the inner cavity of the FUSE!!![X(]

I quickly shut down the EDF and all went back okay. This right there gave me an indication that I am just starving the EDF for Air Flow!

It was a good morning as I am very pleased with my Custom made NOSE WHEEL STEERING it did not have any issues!!!

Carlos
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM
spaceshuttle1

Carlos
Think you may want to relocate edf so front of edf to be at the rear bulkhead
I think that the opening holes in the bulkhead will allow more airflow as the prototype
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79221.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	1509267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47278.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1509268  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
spaceshuttle1

Should have said air input thru payload door not bulkhead
See where edf front is located
Old 10-01-2010, 09:35 AM
guapoman2000

Richard,

Thank you.

I do understand that the ventilated Payload Bay door cover have openings in such a manner that it is assumed to have the EDF flushed with the Rear Bulk head.

However, the model still has all those Holes up front (Top Nose holes and the Large Bottom one).

I am planning to move the EDF perhaps one inch rearward but, not that much as I do not want to have to move the batteries all the way forward.

Should it was the case that the model did not have those holes up front then, I can see that the Payload Bay door cover would be the only source but, it no longer is the case.

Remember this model that I have is a Prototype within itself!

Carlos
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Dwhart24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the conditions for Sunday are looking better for that maiden.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Hoghunter12

Hey Carlos, sorry to hear the maidin did'nt go so well, I was thinking that if you have to change everything around, what about moving the fan unit back to around the center of gravity position. Now I don,t know were that would be, if I had to make a guess, I,d say about were the American flag is on the fuselage. As far as the holes in the nose and underside, those could closed up easy enough by making foam plugs and glueing them in, and trim and sanding them flush. Also six the water bottle thrust tube, I feel that the air being forced through it is being disrupted by the ribs, causing eddies in the flow. A thrust tube should be as smooth as you can make it. I know you took the air scoop off the top side nose, but that lower nose balsa deflector could have been acting like a small elevator at the angle it was at would have kept the nose down. just some things I noticed, hope you get things worked out, would love to see it in the air. Wish I could fine One of those around here, I love to tackle this project.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

Looks like the conditions for Sunday are looking better for that maiden.
David,

I just got back in from driving miss daisy to her doctor's appointment and there was an ugly accident or something on East-West Expressway and it was just a parking lot for miles![&o]

I have to move my daughter in morning so, that does not leave too much time to work on the Space Shuttle. I will try for a few hours and then hit the sack.

At this point, I do not know if I will be able to make it for Sunday morning.

Sorry guys!
Carlos
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM
spaceshuttle1

This pattern in the payload doors does allow enough air to supply a HET edf on 4s
You will also note that the payload fits so there is apx 1/16 inch on payload doors to body

thought I could attach picture but not able to with iPad

Will have to send picture when I get to main computer
Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
spaceshuttle1

Photo which I could not load from Ipad
Shows pattern

Name:	Zw69284.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1509605  
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
guapoman2000

She FLEW!!!

SUMMARY:

The Space Shuttle took off at 0737 hours Eastern time in Orlando, Florida at the East Orlando RC Association (Club).

The modifications were to add a wire brace (from a large Glow RC Airplane’s push rod) to keep the main landing gear situated forward and nearest to the Center-of-Gravity as possible. I used 1/32 Birch Plywood (Mid-West Product) cut into a small rectangle and placed the last reminding thicker plywood mount on top. Using again a good size servo arm and one screw on each side gave a very solid feel to the main landing gear and I secured them together using wheel locks!

Another modification was to add a 3mm depron foam floor at the bottom of the FUSE such that I can hide some of the small servo extension wires so they would not be sucked in the EDF and additionally I used Industrial Strength VELCO for attaching the ESC, external BEC, Receiver and the Batteries to the best location within the FUSE cavity.

The take-off was pretty predicable but, the flight was quickly observed as somewhat tail heavy and I just do not like that fact that this model does not have a Rudder!! You need Rudder when coming for a landing otherwise, you need Airspeed to keep those Ailerons effective! Since I was tail heavy it was really hard to keep the model aligned to the targeted Runway run and it veered off a bit into the grass and the nose wheel bracket at the servo junction ripped off without “ANY DAMAGE†to the model nor the nose wheel servo!

I am just completely satisfied and this has been the best Project I have ever had and I have learned a great deal and have additional skills as a Modeler!

MAIDEN VIDEO!!!!
[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15480251[/link]
Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 AM
guapoman2000

Final Modifications:

Nose wheel will be installed and adjusted again soon!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 AM
guapoman2000

I can say that I have completed my deal with Gerry and finished this model with the upmost respect as the real size vehicle should have and especially with it's ending Program soon.

I hope that all my modifications and trial and errors would help someone in the Future to tackle this kind of project.

I am complete and completely Satisfied.

Carlos Out![8D]
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 AM
spaceshuttle1

Carlos

Congratulations on your flight

Are you going to try Sunday with Gerry shooting pictures?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

Carlos

Congratulations on your flight

Are you going to try Sunday with Gerry shooting pictures?

Richard,

Thank you!

I don't think that I will make to fly the Space Shuttle again until further notice.

I am presently moving three bedrooms worth of furniture and have not left yet to my destination.

Additionally, I need to re-install the nose wheel strut and need to find the right size screw so that it can rotate and secure the strut at the same time.

We shall take a little break for now.

Carlos
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM
simano

Congratulations Carlos!!!!...

I think your work on this shuttle and the final proof in the pudding with the maiden flight has been very informative to a lot of us that are not too versed on EDF's...

The fact that this model was a basic flat wing panel design, no instructions whatsoever included with the kit, no information given by the manufacturer as far as the correct CG location, number of cells to use....in short...the whole project has to be figured out by the builder!!!!....makes this quite an achievement and I commend you for what you accomplished.

I know Richard and Mark have also managed to get theirs figured out...on their own efforts as well!!...again with absolutely no help from the manufacturer...my hat off to Richard and Mark...as well!!

I've been highly educated in this topic...thanks to all!!!!

Gerry.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Hoghunter12

Good job on getting her into the air, now fix that landing gear, iron out the balance problem, and have some fun flying,...............and then, who going to be the first to scale her up to look the part. Here's a photoshop tease to get you thinking.....................

Name:	Db86515.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	1509911  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.