Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 AM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

RC Space Shuttle model is operational again with a new securing screw holding the nose wheel bracket and I found a generic servo and found a perfect fit for servo control horn and she is all ready for action Sunday morning!

I text message Gerry and David and David replied saying he will meet up with me with his Digital Camera!!

Some pictures showin Nose Wheel Steering back in business!

Charging batteries again!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM
simano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlos, although I didn't get the message in time to make it to EORCA this morning, I did get a report from David and according to him, the Space Shuttle flight was quite impressive...again, congrats for having it dialed in for realistic flights!!...

I also took a peek of the photos he took right on his NIKON screen and he did capture some great shots!!!...

I can't wait to see them posted!!...

Congrats again to both pilot and photographer!!!!.

Gerry.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Dwhart24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Gerry! I emailed them to Carlos, so I'll let him have the honor of posting them.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM
spaceshuttle1

Can't wait to see them posted!!...

Congrats again to both pilot and photographer!!!!.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
guapoman2000

Hi guys!

In the process of posting them right now, stay tuned in a few minutes!

Thanks again to David!

Carlos
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
guapoman2000

2nd Flight Summary:

With the re-adjusted Center-Of-Gravity and nothing else changed from the last modification update, the model flew much better and stable with good air-speed. This model is fast and really not Park Flyer type as the landings have to be with power in order to keep those ailerons effective to keep the Space Shuttle model aligned with the targetted touch down area and path. Look at the landing picture and you can see a good amount of Right Aileron input!

She lands like the Full Size and flops on the nose wheel and it is really cool to look at!

Rolling to take-Off

Rotation with nose up

Coming In for Landing!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 PM
spaceshuttle1

Great pictures
Worth the wait
Thanks

Hlow many minutes did you get on batteries
Guess next mod will be the rudder

Could not tell from pictures did you put an airfoil on rudder?

What was the total weight of model with all mods

Have you taken a current mesurement of edf at full rpm?

Did a great job Carlos
Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Dwhart24

You're welcome Carlos. I'm glad I was able to make it to watch it fly. Unfortunately the take off and landing pics came out a little blurry due to the low light and dark background. My shutter speed dropped. The sun was barely up.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

Great pictures
Worth the wait
Thanks

Hlow many minutes did you get on batteries
Guess next mod will be the rudder

Could not tell from pictures did you put an airfoil on rudder?

What was the total weight of model with all mods

Have you taken a current mesurement of edf at full rpm?

Did a great job Carlos
My timer was for 6 mintues and I landed the model just a few seconds before the timer alarm went off.

The Rubber (more accurately the vertical stab) does have an Airfoil and the base is about 1 inch think, this is how it came.

Exactly 2lbs.

No, I have not dared to go Full Throttle in Static conditions and I would need to measure the AMP draw one of these days.

Carlos
Old 10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

You're welcome Carlos. I'm glad I was able to make it to watch it fly. Unfortunately the take off and landing pics came out a little blurry due to the low light and dark background. My shutter speed dropped. The sun was barely up.
No problem David, they came out perfect and just Love the morning Sun glow on the Space Shuttle.

I will be painting the Vertical Stab and other areas to place the icing on the cake.

I am also considering to add Main Gear doors using light 3mm depron Foam material.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
simano

I just saw the photos...they're great!!!!... it looks real good in the air and ...yes the low nose attitude on the ground really adds to the looks!!!!!

Great work on this project Carlos!!!.

Gerry.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: simano

I just saw the photos...they're great!!!!... it looks real good in the air and ...yes the low nose attitude on the ground really adds to the looks!!!!!

Great work on this project Carlos!!!.

Gerry.

Gerry, and all others ....

Thank you all for following my adventures with this model.

Besides Gerry who knows the background of this particular model, allow me to give those others a little background on this project.

A few of us at Kennedy Space Center, Engineers and Technicians that have worked for many years with the Full Size Space Shuttles and who are involved with RC Airplane modeling have always envisioned to see see a scale Flying RC Space Shuttle model. Well, one very experienced and senior Engineer made it possible and with his talent and determination developed the plans and leg work to be able to make this happen, a scale Flying RC Space Shuttle model. In the beginning it was my high hopes that the final version of the model would be at least a mold process after some experimentation with materials such as Depron sheets just to see if the concepts of flight were ironed out. (Exactly what you see today)

Unfortunately, because of my very blunt manner of providing my opinions at another RC Discussion Thread site the owner of the outfit who made this particular model lost complete communication with the designer (NASA Engineer) whom provided many hours of his time and personal funds to see what you see flying today as far as an RC flying Space Shuttle model. Most unfortunate.

In any regard, Life moves on and I am hoping that the Original concept designer and any new members of this project who worked and some still work at Kennedy Space Center have decided to move on to the next phase, I am just hoping here!

This model is one of the first "raw" experimental runs and it is my hopes of hopes that those who Love this model and modeling will see about making a few more but, using some solid foam sections and Airfoil.

It is my wish that those whom are the original design conceptors 'and' who still strive for a better scale looking Space Shuttle RC Flying model have decided to provide a better scale look now that we now know it can fly much better with an Airfoil, again my high hopes!

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
guapoman2000

Hi guys! (David, Gerry and Mark):

It looks like Thursday early in the morning looks great to fly the Space Shuttle at EORCA but, I am looking for a person that can man and record VIDEO footage of the model using my Panasonic mini-DV tape video camcorder?

Anyone can meet me at 7:00am at EORCA on Thursday morning?

Just wondering....

Carlos
Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
simano

I would be more than glad to video it over the weekend if you decide to re-schedule the flight...

Gerry.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: simano

I would be more than glad to video it over the weekend if you decide to re-schedule the flight...

Gerry.
Right now, I can not see Sunday's weather forecast but, I will take your offer for Sunday early in the morning at 0700 hours to set up the model. The reason for the early morning arrival is to avoid too many spectators and RC Flyers that like to fly their models at the super early hours.

In this manner we will have the entire RC Club to ourselves and fly the Space Shuttle without any other models there and people.

Okay, can you make it as early as 0715 hours?

Thanks Gerry!
Carlos[8D]
Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
guapoman2000

Dang it!

Gerry nor David is not able to come on Thursday morning so, I am down to Mark who works on 2nd shift and I am presently calling him to see if he can or is willing!

I would like to fly the Space Shuttle model again during weekday instead of weekend as during the week the Club is not that busy and one can have the club all by yourself and especially for Video recording, you don't have the busy take-offs and landings plus the noise of the Glow powered models.

Oh well, I am trying!
Carlos
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Robert Wagoner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

Carlos
I know that you stated you did not want past history, I feel that some should be stated.
The prototype of this shuttle did have a airfoil. The manufacturer of the kit changed from the what was suppose to be the kit. I know the airfoil design did fly on both a 3s and 4s (4s was better) with a 64mm edf. Air intake was modified to allow amount of air required. I am presently changing the shuttle nose with vacumn formed and with a fibreglass payload pay doors. I will be coming out with a new version. This is not a high demanded aircraft only a few old Space nuts are out there, P51 will sell Shuttles will not be a high requested aircraft.
After working in Aerospace for 49 years 11 months and 19 days I was in the design of the shuttle since 1976. I hurts me to see the shuttle to be phased out.
I will be making a new model as I wish to ''KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE''.
Richard
I was pointed to this thread and I must respond. I'm the designer of this project and built the prototype, there was no airfoil and it wasn't intended to have one to keep it simple. the prototype had a 4mm gap on the root center that wasn't glued. we proved closing the gap had no change to the flight qualities at all. it's still a draggy lifting body. the goal was to create a low cost flyable Space Shuttle that also had a twist not mentioned that clearly should since it hasn't been yet. one of the design criteria was it was also be sold in the visitor center and have few pieces and act more as a display or hanging model that could be made flyable. it had a tight cost point that I knew would be a challenge and this was truly the main reason for the hope of continued funding of the project that was a complete drain.

We spent the time and money for a production run trying to keep all the costs down but unfortunately it didn't work out. all areas the costs were much higher. (Foam glue & Kicker add up not to mention everything else and people putting stuff together...) when the one person to promote that market had been in forced retirement that put a big damper on the future and the ultimate halt. with all the people watching the threads you can still only count on your hands and toes and a few friends the people whom want to buy said vehicle for flying...

I don't mind talking about any aspect of this project, I put in a great deal of time and energy to see this through besides enlisting expertise of our other EJF team members to see this complete. for those whom have designed in 2D to 3D flat foam and figured out all the areas for interlocking and laser cutting know this is not a trivial or quick task. I'm very proud of the results and it was intended to have upgrades but when anyone or company is faced with the ultimate sales question someone must make the final call. this process as simple as it seems proves how difficult it is to try and create a production line product in the good old land of USA.

Seeing these posts pop up one sided required a response as it's not fair, we did this in a very serious and hopeful product manner. I understand sour grapes attitude but come on this was not the intent of anyone but the circumstances of business forcing the reality. myself and EJF did the best we could within the guidelines put forth and spent both a great deal of time and money that will never be recovered as it goes in this hobby business. possibly in the future we would sell just the cut pieces so people can do what they want if we get enough requests.

Sincerely,

RW
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
guapoman2000

Okay guys!

I finally made arrangements to have Gerry to meet me super eary Saturday morning at EORCA that has the smooth Asphalt Runway to fly the Space Shuttle model again and Gerry will operate my Digital mini-DV "Video" Camcorder!

This is the best I can do as far as arranging someone that has used my Video Equipment before and is just as good of a Video camcorder expert as myself.

I am hoping that the Saturday morning forecast is as good as the Friday's!
[link]http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KORL&state=FL[/link]

I am happy!

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Robert W.

I was pointed to this thread and I must respond.

........ with all the people watching the threads you can still only count on your hands and toes and a few friends the people whom want to buy said vehicle for flying...

Sincerely,

RW
This is past history and I don't think anyone is Bad Mouthing anyone here nor is anyone lopp sided in the accounts. Let's say that two parties had different versions of what was suppose to be the final product from differing view points and leave it at that!

The only other comment I can make is that during every attempt I made to fly my Modified Space Shutle RC Model, everyone and I mean everyone STOPPED in their tracks to watch me take off the model and they did not go anywhere nor did their eye sight wander until I landed the model.

I don't know anything about Business forecast but, even a very experience young man of 10 years old that can out fly me said to his Dad at the RC Club,

"Dad can we get a Space Shuttle RC Model like that?"

Enough Said...
Carlos[8D]
Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Hoghunter12

I for one am interested in this model, and will be buying one in the near future, as long as it is still around.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Hoghunter12

I for one am interested in this model, and will be buying one in the near future, as long as it is still around.

Greetings Hoghunter12,

You have two options assuming you would like a 1/36th scale RC Flying Space Shuttle. You can contact EJF and talk to Robert as he has indicated willingness to sell the cut up parts and a heavier assembly on your part will be required so, it will be a "KIT"

The other will be to wait until this group will produce a soild foam type 1/36th scale RC Flying Space Shuttle model found at:
[link]http://www.rcairdesign.com/[/link]

Good luck!
Carlos
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM
guapoman2000

RC Space Shuttle Main Engines!

For the past two nights, I have visited Jon Ann Fabris, Michael's Crafts and left empty handed[>:]

I had been looking for some foam pieces that could pass for Space Shuttle Main Engines and as it turns out the material had been right underneath my nose all this time! Using discarded water bottles 16oz. type, I was able to cut to shape some very light yet scale looking Main Engines for the Space Shuttle!

Some pictures!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Dwhart24

Wow Carlos, that makes a big difference. Looking more and more scale. When are you going to add the black panel lines?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

Wow Carlos, that makes a big difference. Looking more and more scale. When are you going to add the black panel lines?

Thanks David!

Not only the panel lines but, I have plans to install main gear doors and nose wheel doors plus the OMS (Orbiter Manuvering System) Engine nozzels.

Stay tuned!

Rome was not built in one day
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
spaceshuttle1

Carlos

Looks great

A little more and it will more what wanted to see for this project

It takes real aerospace employee to actually perfect this design

Looking forward to see video from this weekend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.