Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Old 10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Space Shuttle Depron RC Model - Scratch..

Carlos,
I was thinking about adding a parachute before it came up. Maybe use some type of spring activation to eject it. Install the chute in a tube about the diameter of a rocket and have a plate with a spring underneath it to eject it. To keep it contained you would need a cover with a latch that is released with a dedicated servo.

Just thinking aloud.
Phillip
Old 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

The Cyclone Power ''Red Velocity'' 64mm Special Metal Fan Can replace the stock fan system of most 64mm EDF Foam Jet In the market.
This is the EDF I will be using on my final version of the Shuttle

Description:
- Outside Diameter: 67mm
- Rotor Diameter: 64mm 5 Blade- Material: ABS & Special Aluminum
- Weight: 176g (Whole Unit With Motor)
- Motor: 28mm Inrunner Brushless Motor , 4,300KV ( Include & Installed )
- MAX RPM: 49,000 - 52,000 rpm
- Max Power: 750W
- Battery Required: 11.1v - 14.8V 1,800 - 2500mAh

Static Thrust:
11.1v Around 950g ( 37A ) , ESC Timing Mode : High Position
14.8v Around 1,200g ( 48A ) , ESC Timing Mode : Middle Position

Richard,

I went back to see myself the Weight differences of the EDF Power Unit that I finally used for this project and it was the Freewing 64mm with the Freewing provided B2836 (3500Kv) Brushless Outrunner motor as the entire assembly tipped my digital scale at exactly 4oz.

I almost used the StarMax 70mm EDF Power unit that came with the StarMax F-5E Swiss Tiger Jet and I think that I should have for the simple reason that it would provide "THRUST" as you do not need too much RPMs for speed as this is a very draggy Airframe.

Your thoughts on that Cyclone Power ''Red Velocity'' 64mm Special Metal would be great if this model would be a very nice streamline airframe like a Jet but, it "is" a Space Shuttle with very large Airframe envelope and thereby DRAG!

I noticed the weight of the Cyclone Power "RED VELOCITY" 64mm Special Metal fan unit with motor at a whopper of 6.2oz.![X(]

I would highly recommend to go UP in diameter of fan unit reaching this same weight category as this will provide the Space Shuttle with the needed Thrust to off-set the Airframe drag.

The decission to use the smaller Cyclone 64mm is completely up to you but, believe me, my Space Shuttle is pretty fast but, does not leave too much in the department of Thrust to provide those manuvers such as a Loop due to the small diameter EDF fan unit such as:

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=483

Yes, the Brushless motor is rated at 3000Kv but, it will provide enough torque to swing the 6-blade fan with additional thrust with perhaps the same Current Draw!

If you are going to use a 6.2oz EDF Power unit then, I would highly recommend to see about a larger EDF diameter Power Unit such as 70mm to 75mm for addiitonal thrust.

Carlos
Old 10-16-2010, 06:24 AM
guapoman2000

Well guys!

I got the chute assembled, very easy as it is a Estes Parachute!

I have it mounted to a small piece of straw and I am brain storming on a small (not too small) perhaps the Analog Park Zone long Lead cable servo that you find in the Park Zone T-28 and F4U Corsair. This servo having a long lead cable will eliminate the need for extensions towards my Spektrum AR500 Receiver and it will be Electrically connected to the Flap function.

I will set up the Servo mechanically to serve three positions.

1. To keep the Chute within Engine Number #2 nozzle (Top Position).

2. Activating the first position switch will open and have a pilot chute depoly and take out the main Estes Chute (Gravity no spring, the inside nozzle will have a 2mm depron foam platform to allow the chute to fall naturally). Once deployed, the chute will keep on a wire attached to the servo arm in a 90 degree manner.

3. Once the model has almost rolled to a stop, I will then, switch the last remaining Flap Position and the arm will extend such that the entire chute will slide OFF the wire attached to the arm and the Chute assembly will fall off entirely.

My main goal was to make sure the Chute could be detached from the model in case the chute was inadvertently deployed!

Pictures coming later in the day!

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Hoghunter12

Hey Carlos, found some nice pictures of the shuttle with chute deployed, thought they might help, also noticed that the chute they use has rings of open area to allow air to escape, other wise the pressure and shock would rip the chute right off. If the Estes Parachute is a one piece solid plastic chute, you may have to make cuts in it to also relive the shock to. Just a thought. Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33526.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1517613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32384.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1517614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97367.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1517615  
Old 10-16-2010, 10:44 AM
guapoman2000

Hoghunter12, (Brian)

Thanks so much for those pictures! I used to work for two years as a Quality Engineer providing Quality Engineering Services for Marshall Space Center at the Kennedy Space Center and the Drag Chute falls within their facility at the Parachute Processing Facility which inspects and repairs the Booster Chutes and I am very familiar with them all.

I have installed a thin and light weight rubber band to provide elastic relief on the opening of the main chute as the air gets in with the initial force. The full size chutes have reefing lines that prevent the full size chutes from opening completely all at once to avoid them from getting ripped apart. I don't believe the drag chute has any and as you have noticed it does have venting to allow for the initial shock opening.

This is a very draggy airframe and it lands like a Baby Doll so, I am not not worried in the least of ripping up the 12 inch Estes Chute but, thanks for that tip!

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 AM
simano

Carlos,

I have started a new thread here at RC Universe titled ORLANDO E-Zone at RC Universe.

The goal is to keep you as well as other fliers that frequent RC Universe informed of the activities going on in the original E-Zon threads at RCGROUPS.

I'm planning to post on both and asked our flying buddies at RCGROUPS to do the same so the gang stays connected!!

The link is:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10074048/tm.htm

Check it often skybro!!

Gerry.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

Carlos,
I was thinking about adding a parachute before it came up. Maybe use some type of spring activation to eject it. Install the chute in a tube about the diameter of a rocket and have a plate with a spring underneath it to eject it. To keep it contained you would need a cover with a latch that is released with a dedicated servo.

Just thinking aloud.
Phillip

Phillip,

Yes! You were right on the money about providing a slight push to eject the Drag Chute out from the Engine Nozzle!

In coming Videos you will see that I have to brain storm a good setup to allow the Chute to be pushed out (give it a little help) once I release the Chute!

Okay, first things first and I am providing some pictures showing how "I" did the Modification!

I did weigh both servos that had in mind to use for the Drag Chut Mod and the E-Flite S-75 won as being the lightest!

Drag Parachute Weigh-In:

Using another Water Bottle, I cut out in an angle and made a platform such that the entire servo and Chut be mounted on an angle as shown.

Complete assembly!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Hoghunter12

I'm really amased at how far this model has come, from foam pieces to now, that's really cool Carlos, I can't wait to see the chute in operation, I'd still like to get this bird in kit form to build from the ground up, but seems EJF does not have it were you can add it to your cart.[8D]
Old 10-17-2010, 07:29 PM
guapoman2000

Video showing the early stages of Drag Chute modificaiton.

Extensively modified EJF RC Space Shuttle showing my Drag Chut Modifications. Actually, I allow the Servo Arm to pinch the Drag Chut Assembly in a fold (Storage) condition on the inside Top End of the Engine Nozzle as this works better operationally

http://www.vimeo.com/15933531
Old 10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
guapoman2000

First Couple of Drag Chute Testing runs!

[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15934034[/link]
Old 10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
guapoman2000

Another Video Showing Drag Chute Test Runs and this Video shows I can make the model do a Wheelie!!

Extensively Modified EJF Space Shuttle RC Model and powered by the FreeWing (FW3070) Electric Ducted Fan setup. First test runs to see about the gravity drop Drag Chute Tests while model is rolling 15 MPH on smooth Hard Surface (Concrete Band Practice). 2nd Video

[link]http://www.vimeo.com/15934297[/link]
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Dwhart24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's awesome Carlos. Can't wait to see it in action at the club. Unfortunately I won't be flying for another 2 weeks.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Dwhart24

That's awesome Carlos. Can't wait to see it in action at the club. Unfortunately I won't be flying for another 2 weeks.
David,

I have not re-newed my membership at EORCA as many have told me that construction will begin as early as January 2011 or April 2011 depending on who you talk to. I think that I will keep my $110 in my pocket and seek another RC Club for EDF models, especially with nose wheel steering.

This model has been the best RC Airplane "EDF" Project that I could ask for!

Did you see how fast she zooms across that Concrete Band Practice area???!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
spaceshuttle1

Great runs Carlos
Old 10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: spaceshuttle1

Great runs Carlos

Thanks Richard!

The helper to get the Drag Chute out from the Engine Nozzle is a very simple technique called a round Tie-Wrap glued deep within the Nozzle and I will press against this Tie-Wrap when installing the Chute assembly and then, pinch the Chute with the Servo Arm.

Once I flip the "Switch" it will work like a charm!

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: Hoghunter12

I'm really amased at how far this model has come, from foam pieces to now, that's really cool Carlos, I can't wait to see the chute in operation, I'd still like to get this bird in kit form to build from the ground up, but seems EJF does not have it were you can add it to your cart.[8D]
Hoghunter12,

Thank you!!!

I have been very pleased and have had nothing but joy and great entertainment with this project.

Additionally, it has enhanced my modeling skills to a higher level in record time!

The satisfaction has been beyond words.

I would contact Robert at EJF on the Telephone to see about cut-up pieces such as a "KIT" form in case you really want one like this.

Carlos
Old 10-18-2010, 12:18 PM
simano

Awesome!!

I just saw the videos on my work comp since my home computer won't always load videos.

I must say that the parachute setup is real good. I would've never came up with the ideas you used of packing it inside one of the main engines, the opening and finally the release mechanisms...it all adds up to the looks and functionality...!!...congrats!!

Gerry.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
guapoman2000

Origins / Early Requirements of the Space Shuttle!

Very, very interesting Video Lecture at MIT back in 2008!

It is a long Video and I would just fast Forward to the Visiting Professor, Professor Aaron Cohen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiYhQtGpRhc&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
guapoman2000

Oh Guys!

Now for my next Modification.........

Just kidding!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Dwhart24

Did they really test floats?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
guapoman2000

David,

Never! Not Floats! Can you imagine the weight and aerodynamic drag!!

Not to mention touching down on water at 200+MPH [X(]
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Dwhart24

It looks like an old photo but I figured it was photo shopped.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Those floats might get warm on re-entry.

Phillip
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM
guapoman2000

Like to report the installation of a small yet very spring-like tie-wrap within the Engine Nozzle that contains the Drag Chute.

This additional item allows the folded Drag Chute to be gently ejected out from the Engine Nozzle with ease.

I have no plans to Video record any further Test Runs until next week at the earliest.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM
guapoman2000

Some very interesting history in a brief and condense form!

Pan down to read the Unrealized Space Flight all because of an unfocused and uninterested Center Director at the time!!!

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_HL-10[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.