Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

hobby lobby mig 15

Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM
LuckyArmpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobby lobby mig 15

Anyone have the hobby lobby mig 15? This is the 28 inch wing span.
Got 3 flights on mine. Well, I should say 1 flight. The first was a crashola where the tail section came unglued. 2nd flight was good. Got it trimmed. 3rd flight though, tried a bigger battery (3S 1800).
Had the cg spot on but the plane wouldn't get on step and it went in, breaking the glue joint on the right wing. I found out that you shouldn't use the glue that comes with the plane. My epoxy was dried up so
I used the glue that came with the mig. I've since repaired with 30 minute epoxy. Seems to me that the extra 1.3 ounces that the 1800 batts have, the mig didn't like it as far as weight goes. I do have some 3 cell 1500's that are 30C rated and they weigh exactly the same as the 1600 packs that came with the plane. I'm hoping for better results next time the plane flies.

Lucky...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: hobby lobby mig 15

Dude, I got one and just finished installing things and binding to the tranny but haven't flown her. Thanks for the heads-up on the weight so I'll for sure start out with the stock 1600 battery instead of heavier. In tests she seems powerful enough to climb well (more thrust than weight in hand-held throttle up)and sure is a clean, nice little bird. Still looking for fllight area where everything I could run into is SOFT and I think Ifound it-all soft brush rather than that barky stuff that'slike cement coated in sandpaper. For ARF foam she's a pretty solid feeling jet.
I'm taking in more slower training time before I crack up ANOTHER jet on a spur of the moment flight.
Yeah, I don't know how to spell "asbestos" or "lead" or "arsenic" in Chineseso I tossed the enclosed glue and used some American epoxy (Gorilla I think) from another project. Guess that was a good call.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:39 AM
LuckyArmpit

If the glue has chinese letters on it, throw the stuff away!!!
Hoping to fly it this weekend again. Once its in the air, it flies pretty good. Keep the speed up in turns since it will sink a bit. Probably due to its short tail moment.
The mig moves along at a good clip. I flew it with the throttle backed down and it still moved half decent.
Its a quick little SOB and you can't take your eyes off of it.
I had the throws set to minimal and it still rolled half decent.
Main thing is when you launch it, throw it out straight and just a tad up. Its pretty touchy the first few seconds but once it gains a bit of altitude, you will be alright.

Lucky...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Saburo Sakai

Thank you, Lucky. When I take my training wheels off (that'd be my little Ember 2) I'll face the intimidation of the "Jet" over a SOFT field!!
I will come back and look at this thread for your tips, which are very helpful. Hey, any idea who makes the motor and servos on this baby? After a wreck[X(] I'll find out easy if there's any English writing, but I hope to avoid that.......anybody know? Kwok Brothers motors and servos?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM
LuckyArmpit

Well, an update.
Flew the mig almost a couple of weeks ago. Remember, the mig must be flown fast or else you will lose lift especially when turning. I was turning right and kept turning right and it got
a bit squirrely. Unfortunately, the plane eating tree grabbed it!!!!
Today, it musta came down. Upon surmising the damage, the battery pack took a dump. I checked with my charger and meter and it wouldn't register any volts nor would it even take a 100 milliamp charge.
But, the rest of the radio system was fine. All the servos still worked, the esc and motor worked. RX worked as well. Damage to plane was right wing came off (cheap assed chinese glue I used). I have
glued it back on with 30 minute epoxy. There is a bit of foam gone from the left front intake on the front of the fuse. A piece of the plastic ring is gone where the break occurred. Lastly, the foam where the canopy magnets are is gonna need a little smoothed out. So, the model came out of being up a tree for almost 2 weeks in not bad a shape.
I still use FM 72 mhz radio systems (2.4 gig I feel is overpriced). I have a futaba 9C with numerous memory models so I can save an infinite amount of model settings. I also use berg/castle creations rx's.
They take a lickin and keep on tickin!!!
So, the mig will be back in the air shortly as soon as I do a little foam fixing. Might be tuff since I'm waiting for a new P-40 Warhawk to come in.

Lucky...
Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Saburo Sakai

Lucky, the first thing to get is a chain saw for the trees! Then, you get to build stout wooden airplanes as a bonus or dry it out for firewood this winter.My training wheels are off and I'm flying ParkZone UM P-51 and UM T-28 and loving them! The MiG gathers dust and this just cannot stand so she's going up soon. I'll heed what you say about keeping her speed up. Godspeed!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 AM
LuckyArmpit

Last nite, I decided to try and revive the battery. I put it on the charger at 200 milliamps and used the nicad setting. Let it charge until it read 11 volts. It wound up with about 168 milliamps of charge.
Then I took it off and set the charger up for lipoly, balance, and 1.6 amp charge at 11.1 volts. The battery charged!!! When done, battery read 12.58 volts. So, I think I saved the thing from
a bonfire ritual. Hope to try it on the weekend.
I was looking at those micro planes. How much wind can they take? My p-40 should be here tomorrow and am looking at getting another multiplex funjet (had one but had sold it).

Lucky...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Saburo Sakai

Lucky,
Sorry for the delay-I've been over on the prop threads slumming it (Ha, ha?).
How much windage can the micros take? I live on the Gulf coast and I definately have to pick my days. I'd say 5-8 or 9 mph steady-state, tops. Variable winds are what kill and make flight totallyunpredictable. A steady, lightwind can be dealt with if we remember to keep the plane upwind or not TOO far downwind. I let 'em go sometimes when I'm about to lose it, and that's the call for me to set her down. I do, and no problems. I'm really liking the UMicro P-51 and am beating up the first one, and afraid to touch the new one or the T-28 until I feel I'm more ready. I love my Ember 2 PZ and use it at night, after things calm down. Great training, very peaceful.

God bless!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 PM
LuckyArmpit

Got my p-40. Got it together. Motor I put in is a little over powered but wth...Tried it yesterday, little breezy but not too bad. Launched on full, it pulled left and I let it down. Broke the right wing.
I have since repaired. The rated CG is a little bit too far back. Plus, I will launch next time about 3/4 throttle. There is right and down thrust on the mount but this little outrunner will really pull with the
8x4 prop. Plane only weighs 14.5 oz. Should fly if I move the batt pack a little more forward, use less throttle and add a few clicks of right aileron.

Lucky...