Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Habu first EDF

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
subcaptian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Habu first EDF

Hey guys, I've been flying the Hobbico Nexstar EP Select since the beginning of the year, and have gotten pretty good at flying, or so the guys at the club say. I was looking at getting an EDF, and I saw that the Habu can be flown at pretty slow speeds, relativily. Does the Habu make a good first EDF?

Thanks,
Subcaptian
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Habu first EDF

Yes.

ENT
Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 AM
phillipmorris

I'm still new to EDF and yes the Habu is a beauty, mine however didn't survie an overhead pass, and it zoomed down to oblivian. However it did fly for several minutes and showed nice handling, was very breezy that day and also part of my maiden issue. Mine needs besides a new battery another fuselage and might pull it off.

Another possibility is the Skyray if your after something that flys abit slower and also great handling, much cheaper bird at around $80 at Hobby King. Its far from a zoomer but nice looks with the Delta Shape and mine is still alive ! It also has wheels for easy take off without the hand toss delema, will need extra room to reach airspeed but otherwise a nice entry.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9362

It handles great even with a simple DX5 Spektrum Transmitther and easy control at low throw, hope to have my own flight video later, but did place a short clip showing elevon movment, I like this one as an entry ducted jet !

The COG was on the money with a 1300 Lipo and used the Spektrum AR500 receiver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWC4k6G8g5o

Few negatives for me on this one, but it again is not a zoomer, the motor is slightly noisy but I like that, legs are somewhat springy and it can bounce on an incorrect landing, its not large so keep it reasonable close. If you have any skill on deadsticks your going to like this one as glides right in ! Otherwise give it a high rating as not expensive and very decent handling for the beginner !
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
subcaptian

Well, I want something that I can grow with, so the Skyray might not be the best choice.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

Check out the phase 3 F-16 if you are not opposed to hand launching. Very wide speed range plus lots of info and hop-up tips if desired.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
wind junkie

I second the Phase 3 F16 recommendation. Much cheaper than the Habu and it flys better with no bad habits.

It is more fragile and more work to build of course.

Perhaps the best trait is the F16 can use "el cheapo" 3S 2200 packs (which anyone who flys parkflyers should already have in abundance) while you need a whole new set of 4S 3300's for the Habu.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM
subcaptian

Well, I could just run two 2s's in parrallel, thus making it a 4s. Short run times, but that can be made up for by the cheaper price.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: subcaptian
Well, I could just run two 2s's in parrallel, thus making it a 4s. Short run times, but that can be made up for by the cheaper price.
No, that would still be 2S in parallel. I don't think 2S packs are really that common for parkflyers, nearly all the ones I've seen require 3S packs, but if you did have 2S 2200mAH packs, you'd really need 4 of them to do the job for one flight,, two banks of two of them in parallel (2s2P) to give you a 4S 4400 pack. And you'd need to dig out a lot of foam to get them to fit, plus all the connectors and wiring.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 AM
subcaptian

Well, it's still probably cheaper.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 AM
CBM Racing

The Habu is a good first edf, it is my first one and still going great. Be warned, it isn't a slow flyer or trainer! Your 2s packs would probably be fine at first in series. Being smaller and lighter it would make flying easier due to lower wing loading, but flight times would probably be pretty short. Also they need a pretty good discharge rating, 25c or better to avoid damage to them. Good luck with whatever you go with!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:14 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I second the Phase 3 F16 recommendation. Much cheaper than the Habu and it flys better with no bad habits.

It is more fragile and more work to build of course.

Perhaps the best trait is the F16 can use ''el cheapo'' 3S 2200 packs (which anyone who flys parkflyers should already have in abundance) while you need a whole new set of 4S 3300's for the Habu.
Do you have a link to that plane?
I think I would love to try a EDF plane
Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM
wind junkie

Here ya go:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-and-esc.html

Looks like it's back down to $100 again for Christmas.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM
wpotter6

If you want something with landing gear, the Wings Maker J10B is $125 with fan, motor and three servos, just add an ESC, RX and 2100 3S battery. It is easy to fly and can slow down at very high AOA due to the canard. It is a delta wing, so you will need a mixing TX for that, and it has a rudder for crosswind TO and Landings.

http://www.thewingsmaker.com/airplane_details.php?name=J-10B%20Fighter%20(Combo)
Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
dribar

I got my habu a few months ago and it has been nothing but a joy to fly. Like CBM said, it's not a trainer and can really fly fast. With that said, one of the things I like best about this plane is that if you forget about batteries, you can still land it safely. I think the thing really flats if you need it to. Unfortunately for me I like coming in hot and using all the runway Another thing that is very clear after many flights is that dual rates are very important. Out of the box on low rates it is pretty docile, but you can also overfly the plane if you set the rates too high. Just this last weekend I got into some flat spins and very slow rolls.

Anyway, she's a great bird. Set it up as the manual states and just fly it.