Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kress Jets HE-162 Salamander

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Kress Jets HE-162 Salamander

Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
1970camaroRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kress Jets HE-162 Salamander

I've been away from this hobby for more than a decade. Decided to finally jump back in and build this partial kit I've had sitting around for a few years. It's the 44" wingspan HE-162 from Ziroli plans. It came with a Kress fan and the majority of the parts were laser cut from some guy on e-bay. (sorry, too long ago, can't remember who it was).

Parts were packaged well.

The laser cuts were crisp and matched up with the dimensions on the plans.

Speaking of plans, they won't fit on my tiny desk.

A pair of scissors later, and problem solved!

Here's a shot of the fan unit as it was delivered.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM
1970camaroRS

Default RE: Kress Jets HE-162 Salamander

Lets get going on the wings, shall we?

Dry fit.

Glued.

Top sheeted. Decided to sheet the entire surface to increase strength.

Lather, rinse, repeat and I had a pair.

Droopy wingtips? Check!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
1970camaroRS

Now the part I don't like. The fuselage. No jig or building board...so I had to use a whole bunch of little weights. No picture of that, it's not flattering.

This had me scratching my head for a while dry fitting parts. With only a set of plans and laser cut wood to work with...I had to actually make it up a little as I went.

Took a deep breath and started glueing. Then before I knew it I had the sheeting on the sides.

And then I got a rough shape on the nose.

THE TAIL.

Tail was built as a one piece lay-down.

Then it was cut, set to the correct angle and reinforcing plywood added to the joint. (they were laser cut in the middle of a bulkhead). Then the non-moving rudders/verticle stabs were glued on.

Tada!

Starting to really look like something.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM
1970camaroRS

At that point where I need to start thinking about the technical bits.

Things I KNOW I will go with.
Motor will be brushless. I have a Novak 3.5R brushless motor and GTB speed controller in my B4 buggy I don't very much anymore. Thinking about using that, just not sure how well that would work out. http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...3.5/index.html
Might just end up buying something else that's fairly cheep. Don't want to put a ton of money into this one.

I will use a Lipo battery. Not sure what size/voltage. Seriously, how much do you think that Kress fan can take before coming apart?

Now for a few things I'm thinking about.
Flapperons. Yes or no? I was thinking about a lot of small field slow flying. They might help. I will be picking up a 6 channel computer radio that will capable of mixxing flapperons.

I don't like hand launching much, or using a catapult of some type. This model will not have landing gear. Would a dolly that drops during take-off be feasable?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting build.

I don't know anything about Kress fans so I can't comment. You might want to pose the question at RCGroups, EDF forum. If it were mine, I'd forget the Kress fan and buy a current design fan with the appropriate motor and ECS.

"...I don't like hand launching much, or using a catapult of some type. This model will not have landing gear. Would a dolly that drops during take-off be feasable? ..."

Launch dollies are tough to do right, at least for me. If the dollie relies on the plane for motive power, the fan may or may not produce enough thrust to achieve take off velocity.

Assuming the dollie/plane system will reach TO velocity, you then have the problem of keeping the plane on the dollie until it is ready to launch. If the plane leaves the dollie before stall speed is exceeded, it will merely roll to one side and crash. So you need a mechanism of some sort to insure the plane remains firmly attached to the dollie during the TO run.
This becomes even a greater issue if you are trying to launch from grass. The dollie will require its own battery, receiver and steering servo.

I have seen a powered launch dollie based on the chassis of an R/C truck, which you probably have. This option will insure TO velocity is reached and is steerable. The problem of keeping the plane on the dollie is the same as the un-powered version.

Consider using an dollie mounted electro-magnet to keep the plane on the cart. You could control the magnet current from an unused channel of your radio.

After all is said and done, I think a bungee is the easiest with the best chance of a successful launch.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 AM
planfixr

Great build will be watching. I have a foame HE-162 I need to build. Keep up the good work. Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 04:49 PM
byrocat

I'm going to have to follow this as well. I got one of the Kress kits years ago (up in the rafters of my basement workshop), and I've got a RCLander EDF-68-1-a (4s 3575 Kv) EDF unit with a Hobby King 60-amp ESC/BEC.

Who was the seller on eBay if you remember probably the same one as me. Keep on posting!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ditch the kress fan as well and replace it with a Wemotec of the same size. There are many many options for purpose built EDF motors now. They last longer and put out huge performance numbers. ARC, Neu, Don's Wicked, etc. are all good people to deal with. RCGroups EDF section is THE place for EDF data.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE BUILD

Will recomend to use new gear on this lovely plane.

There are good chinese stuff you can use withoout  breaking the wallet.

How much will it wheight?  depending on this is the power you will need.

Recomend
Wemotec fan:
motor: ARC or het
Esc: hobby wing
Lipo: China brands 30 C

Cheers

Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 AM
topspeed

I have a F-86 Kyosho Kit..with ducted fan unit...could it be used in this 44 in He-162 ?

Here is this Ziroli address; http://store.laser-design-services.c...products_id=44
Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Ken LaPointe
My Feedback: (4)

go electric, its the only way to fly

My Midwest He-162 Salamander with a 90mm midi fan, Neu Motor 1415 3D on 8s Cells
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_tzOk0M92k[/youtube]