Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wemo Minifan 480 Pro - Max power?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Wemo Minifan 480 Pro - Max power?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM
BrentL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wemo Minifan 480 Pro - Max power?

Hi all.

Anyone have any idea how much power I can put through a Minifan Pro before it goes krrrrr-fzzztnik-grplgrpl-gagaga-BOOM?

I've put an ARC 28-58-1 with a fat heatsink and a nice layer of Arctic Silver into one, and I've just tested it on 6S.

2250W. It screams. But I'm worried it's going to explode.

So, any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Brent.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
ACES&8s

Default RE: Wemo Minifan 480 Pro - Max power?

My cyclone on wemos is 885 watts barely working hard. I want to know your rpms. Some of the other guys are saying around 70,000-75,000 is pushing the envelope, and the fan has to be perfect. My question is...suppose the hardware runs fine? On the pavement the jet picks up crap and sucks it into the duct...little stuff you know? I would monitor the balance of the fan, as a matter for preventative maintenance. My Wemo 480 Pro is producing alot of thrust...efficient.

Are you for real? It's possible your meter is over scale and reading 100 amps in error. You have 3300kv motors or 3700 or what?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
BrentL

Hi.

Yup, for real - the motor is an Arc 28-58-1, 3180kv. A really exceptional inrunner that some people are putting insane amounts of power through (take a look on Youtube).

Afraid I don't have any way of measuring my actual RPM, although I'll get a number for you at my club over the weekend. Testing was done on 3 short 2 second full throttle bursts (static) with a Watts Up meter, measuring 90A and around 2230-something watts (the 2250 was a bit of rounding off on my part...)

That's not to say that what I'm doing is in any way sensible and that the setup can run at this sort of power level for any length of time. In fact, I'm going to run the plane on 5s - just want to do one run on 6s to see what happens.

But curious to know how much power the 480 pro can take before it breaks.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
ACES&8s

don't know about watts, but rpm, Mark at Extreme put a couple of his acquaintances out there with the fact that they're running it at 77,000 rpm. With your numbers (22.2 volts 3180kv the rpm is in the 70,000 neighborhood. Within the possible. Do you have any amount of vibes, and or strange sounds? My Wemo Minifan Pro 480's in the Rafale, have Cyclone 480-4100-32 4100kv motors rated for 1100 watts, running 4 cell 40c packs at 885 watts each. A 4000mah 5 cell 40c might be used later, but it's monster amounts of power. What the plane you're applying it to?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Extreme_RC

2230 watts is not a real loaded figure, thats 24.77 volts which is like 1-2 seconds running. Let it run for 10-15 seconds then take a reading, that will give you a more accurate sustained figure.

The 2858 in the Wemo fan can be dangerous, the housing is not really strong enough imho for the power levels which is why we use it in our CNCAlloy housing instead.

RPM is around 56-60K with this setup and 60K is the most we have seen with the Minifan rotor on 6 cells. It needs to be absolutely perfectly assembled, aligned and balanced or you waste power and risk snapping the motor shaft with potentially serious consequences.

Here is video of the 2858-1 in our CNCalloy Minifan PRO setup, it can take full power for pretty much the whole flight thanks to the stiff housing and the heatsink properties of the housing:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETAQ80LdD3c[/youtube]
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
BrentL

I actually bought all the bits from Extreme - my details say Johannesburg but I've lived in Melbourne for the last couple of years. Top service from those guys!

Plane is an RC Lander F9F Panther (also from Extreme). Truly awesome model! I've loved assembling it because it's just so well made and thought out. Realise that 6S is overkill in this model, and like I say, I'm planning to fly it on 5S (the power figures even look good on 4S, so may go that route), but I've been very disappointed by the EDF's at my club and just once want to see a fighter jet scoot around the sky with speed to match the noise.

That said, I love the plane and don't want to trash it, so if 6S is just a dumb idea (and from the above post, it seems like a dumb idea), I'll stick with 5S.

Thanks for the feedback dudes.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Extreme_RC

5s will be heaps in the Panther, it will fly REAL well like that, my Panther did 95-100mph with the stock 850 watt 4 cell setup, it was the best of the Lander models, before they went too heavy and started to rush models into production. Make sure you got the fan running dead smooth, spend time positioning the rotor on the shaft until its dead smooth and same with the spinner cap. It should be a really sweet model, bring it down to PP when its finished )