Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HABU 32?

ORIGINAL: Super Kupfer

My personal opinion so far:

I think that the aircrafts quality is great, I'm pretty sure I would love flying it (Maybe not so much with the 6s setup but from the videos I have seen, the aircraft really comes to life on a 8s setup).

From reading this thread and some of the other ones, I think that E-flite should have market it with a Sport power system option and a Hot power system option (A 6s motor option and a 8s motor option, Or produce a motor that can handle 6s or 8s batteries).

How hard is that to do, Companies like Hanger 9 do it all the time with some of there planes, How could they have missed on this opportunity??????

I guess that's where people like ''efflox rc'' and ''tam jet'' come along.

I wonder just how much an 8s battery weighs compared to a 6s battery. The plane balances very well with my battery (a 6s) as far back as it can go. With a heavier battery, one might have to add a bit of tail weight to properly balance the plane. Of course, adding weight needs to be avoided in a plane that's built for performance. Also, in stock form, the landing gear are already at their limit - in fact, on grass which is where I fly, the gear didn't hold up (landings were reasonable, nose high, close to stall). After each landing, the wire struts had to be re-bent of they wouldn't retract into their wells. Make the aircraft heavier and landing speeds will increase along with higher stress on the CF spars. I think the plane as designed is supposed to give the ducted fan neophyte a good experience in a very fast model. Perhaps the next step would be a larger ducted fan aircraft rather than pushing this small airframe past its intended limits.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: Ted62

My personal opinion so far:

I think that the aircrafts quality is great, I'm pretty sure I would love flying it (Maybe not so much with the 6s setup but from the videos I have seen, the aircraft really comes to life on a 8s setup).

From reading this thread and some of the other ones, I think that E-flite should have market it with a Sport power systemoption and a Hot power system option (A 6s motor option and a 8s motor option, Or produce a motor that can handle 6sor 8s batteries).

How hard is that to do, Companies like Hanger 9 do it all the time with some of there planes, How could they have missed on this opportunity??????

I guess that's where people like ''efflox rc'' and ''tam jet'' come along.

I wonder just how much an 8s battery weighs compared to a 6s battery. The plane balances very well with my battery (a 6s) as far back as it can go. With a heavier battery, one might have to add a bit of tail weight to properly balance the plane. Of course, adding weight needs to be avoided in a plane that's built for performance. Also, in stock form, the landing gear are already at their limit - in fact, on grass which is where I fly, the gear didn't hold up (landings were reasonable, nose high, close to stall). After each landing, the wire struts had to be re-bent of they wouldn't retract into their wells. Make the aircraft heavier and landing speeds will increase along with higher stress on the CF spars. I think the plane as designed is supposed to give the ducted fan neophyte a good experience in a very fast model. Perhaps the next step would be a larger ducted fan aircraft rather than pushing this small airframe past its intended limits.
I havn't tried the 8s setup yet (Still waiting on a few things before I can start the build),Maybe some of the other guys that have done it could answer all the above.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
stoneb1b

Ted62
There are two schools of thought here when increasing the cell count.
1. Stay with the same capacity pack and accept the weight increase or,
2. Reduce the capacity of the pack to where the new battery is similar in weight to the original.
If your 8 cell setup is drawing less amps (many of these are), a lower capacity 8 cell pack may give similar flight times to the original. Also, with lower amp draw the lower capacity pack can handle it.
George
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM
stoneb1b

Ted62
2. Reduce the capacity of the pack to where the new battery is similar in weight to the original.
If your 8 cell setup is drawing less amps (many of these are), a lower capacity 8 cell pack may give similar flight times to the original. Also, with lower amp draw the lower capacity pack can handle it.
George
Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: stoneb1b

Ted62
George
That makes good sense although one would think a motor that produces higher thrust with the same DF would pull more current and give shorter flight times, especially with a battery of less cap. I have a lot to learn when it comes to electric flight, however!! :-) I really feel the Habu 32 is at its maximum weight with the stock setup everything considered - I guess that's my main point. Thanks for the response, George.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Kupfer

About the retracts,

I like Tam's Modified eflite setup but wonder if there is a pneumatic setup that would work also.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Ted62

About the retracts,

I like Tam's Modified eflite setup but wonder if there is a pneumatic setup that would work also.

Tam's setup certainly cured my problems with the grass field bending the struts - I haven't had a problem since installing them with over 15 flights using them. Expensive, but, so is the aircraft - at my age, might as well spend the kids' inheritance.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: Ted62

About the retracts,

I like Tam's Modified eflite setup but wonder if there isa pneumatic setup that would work also.

Tam's setup certainly cured my problems with the grass field bending the struts - I haven't had a problem since installing them with over 15 flights using them. Expensive, but, so is the aircraft - at my age, might as well spend the kids' inheritance.
I didn't think the airframe was that expensive for what you get, It's a pretty good size airplane for a model, It's sweet looking and looks like a lot of fun, The only thing I don't like aboutit is that it has a 80mm fan, Personallyitwould have been even sicker with a 90mm fan (much more common and lots more options).

But we can work with it,
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Hello....I hope to get one of the Habu 32s from HH in the next few weeks....In the mean time I would like to start getting together the components I will need....I hope to fine some good buys on new or used, so I need to know what I can use besides what HH lists....except for LG I don't want to upgrade as far as speed is concerned....ie..what fans, motors, battery, bec, etc....help would be appreciated...Thanks, B7
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
splinter
My Feedback: (64)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Blue

I just purchased one and I am in the process of putting it together. Although I have been flying for 25 years this is my first jet. I am taking my time putting it together. I've bought the stock retracts but I am going to switch them out for TAMJET's I bought the HH motor and fan unit and I am using 40 ounce digital metal gear mini servos for all but the rudder I am using a Hitec HS 5085 for the rudder.

What is I think is different, I am using 2- 3 cell 5000 mah 35C Lipo's and a series connector. ( Much cheaper and will allow the battery to cool better than a single 6s)

I am still trying to understand how I am going to get the front retract not to turn when inside the fuselage, But that's for later

Splinter
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: splinter

I am still trying to understand how I am going to get the front retract not to turn when inside the fuselage, But that's for later

Splinter
Hi Splinter - what transmitter are you going to use? I use a JR 9303 and assign the nose gear servo to an axillary channel which gets disabled when the gear switch is flipped. Works like a charm - also, a good choice going with the different struts. I am getting ready to enclose the wing gear with a different setup - wide open causes a lot of drag - also going to close in the front gear. A great project - the Habu - have fun!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 AM
splinter

Ted[&o]

That's the problem I use Futaba and although I have eight channel receivers (2.4) I recently bought a six channel that is specfic for fiberglass fuses. I would really like to use this in the HABU. I am using a HITEC digital on the rudder because with the programmer I can reverse it if necessary electrically ( Y connection to nose wheel) All others are also Y connections but don't have to be reversed

Splinter [&o]
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: splinter

Ted[&o]

That's the problem I use Futaba and although I have eight channel receivers (2.4) I recently bought a six channel that is specfic for fiberglass fuses. I would really like to use this in the HABU. I am using a HITEC digital on the rudder because with the programmer I can reverse it if necessary electrically ( Y connection to nose wheel) All others are also Y connections but don't have to be reversed

Splinter [&o]
Wish I could help, but, I have converted almost everything to JR - best move I ever made!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
kbrd

Hey all,

I am ready to get the ESC for my HABU 32 DF. I have heard that the E-Flite 80A speed control that is part of the standard package has some problems. In addition Horizon Hobby is showing that that ESC is out of stock. Would the Phoenx 80A or 100A ESC's work well? I am also planning on using the standard Blue E-Flite EC-3 connectors which are supposed to be rated to 80A. Will those connectors stand up to the current flows I will be seeing with the propulsion system on the HABU 32 DF?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 AM
splinter

Hey Kbrd

I think your on the right track either one of those ESC's would be fine for this plane. I bought one without the bec circuit and am using a separate battery pack for the servos.

I am about half way done with mine, taking my time another month, besides the blacktop runway I want isn't installed yet

Splinter
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The EC3 would probably be fine however I went with the EC5 that Horizon recommends.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:23 AM
kbrd

Thanks for your replies. After doing a little more research, I decided to go with the Phoenix ICE 100 and EC-5 connectors. Any reason not to use the BEC and stay with one battery, other than redundancy?

Jack
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Ted62

I didn't trust a BEC to my investment - especially after HH came out with a WARNING NOT to use the original ESC (with 5A bec) that they recommended. A $10, 500 mah 2S lipo with a 10A regulator insures that your electronics will have sufficient energy to last an afternoon of flying - I believe my 500 mah lipo only uses 5% of its capacity or less during an average 5 minute flight. I have yet to see it use more than 20% for an average flying session (consisting of 4-6 flights). The additional weight of the regulator and lipo may be 40 grams or less to consider, but, the safety factor can't be overlooked. Just my opinion, of course. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
ACP Engineering
My Feedback: (1)

I did a maiden flight with my Habu 32 w/electric retracts today everything when well, fly’s like the Habu foamy just faster. You will need flaps to land. I used half flaps to takeoff on a grass field. It took just over 100 feet to take off into very little wind full back on the elevator stick. Four clicks of up elevator after the wheels were up and I was trimmed for level flight at half throttle. I’m using all the recommended HH equipment and yes I have the $200 battery. Easy plane to land with full flaps just give yourself enough room I was able to put it down on the mains first flight. I recommend flying the foamy Habu just before you take this one up and then there will be no surprises. Also I did use the advice of the tread and ran separate power for the radio and controls with a 2s Li-Ion Fromco 2400mah pack with a 10amp regulator. Also do thread lock the little ball knob on the canopy or say bye bye to it. See the attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65446.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	1631077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51504.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	1631078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87654.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1631079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86145.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1631080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64686.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1631081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fv25567.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1631082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91550.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1631083  
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Ted62

Very nice! Mine also took a little up trim for level flight - CG a bit too forward, I think. My battery is as far back as it will go and I think it's still a little nose heavy, but, very stable. Are your gear holding up OK? I had to go with the upgraded struts since I was re-bending after each landing. Some of the landings were actually good too! LOL Have fun - it's my favorite airplane and the guys at the field love it. Turbine speed - low cost.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Ted62

Has anyone else dabbed a little vaseline on the EC5 pins - mine were becoming almost impossible to disconnect - now it's just as it should be, easier, but, not too easy.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
ACP Engineering
My Feedback: (1)

No problem with the gear yet. My Cg is effected by the radio battery and regulator, I'll play around with their location. Has anyone looked at the top speed of the plane recently with a Radar Gun?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM
efflux RC

I dopplered the E-Flite video at a 110mph average (upwind/downwind) top speed.
We haven dopplered or radaredour 6s Mega motored jet, but 8s motored versoin does 150, flat and level,
The radared flight is at the second half of the video. There are also 6s and 8s Habu bench test videos on our YouTube channel.
Please check 'em out.

Bench test video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/effluxRC.../9/9rJXE2KjrHw
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_EZxIXtSc[/youtube]

Thanks, Gary
www.effluxrc.com
[email protected]

Old 07-13-2011, 03:14 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Just finishing up my Habu32, hope to fly it this weekend. I purchased the Phoenix ICE 100 BEC. Is the BEC in this ESC (5 amp peak) okay for the Habu32, or I am I better off disabling the BEC and using the small external CC-BEC from Castle (10 amp peak) ? Which is a better option ?

Thanks . Bob
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

Just finishing up my Habu32, hope to fly it this weekend. I purchased the Phoenix ICE 100 BEC. Is the BEC in this ESC (5 amp peak) okay for the Habu32, or I am I better off disabling the BEC and using the small external CC-BEC from Castle (10 amp peak) ? Which is a better option ?

Thanks . Bob
Hi Bob,

That would certainly be your call. However, considering the total cost of the plane and contents, it made sense to me to go with the 10 amp regulator. There are enough things to think about when flying a really fast aircraft without having to add to the list, and, a BEC is one of those unknowns I just didn't want to mentally deal with while flying. There are other really good reasons to run a separate battery for the retracts and receiver besides the safety factor. There will be times when you'll want to cycle the gear without having to mess with the motor battery. I have a miniature toggle switch on my regulated supply so I can fiddle with everything without worry about hitting the throttle. Good luck - you will love the Habu 32 and so will everyone else - it gets fantastic crowd reactions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.