Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HABU 32?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM
GeeBee-RCU
My Feedback: (324)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HABU 32?

Do your struts help? Speed difference with new stuff? Kool
Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 AM
GeeBee-RCU

This looks like a good Turbin-trainer alternative to glow ,,,,, Or,,,,,,,,,, for self gratification! Ok,,,how about breaks to stop with ?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 PM
efflux RC

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

Do your struts help? Speed difference with new stuff? Kool
I thing the springs on the struts should be a bit lighter. I'll suggest it to Tam. We didn't do any intentional doppler speed passes. But I'll doppler the more level passes and see what I get. I dopplered one of the early videos shot of the stock Habu at 110 mph.

I'd love to see some video posted of 6-10 sec ond, upwing/downwind, level passes our of a fairly level turn. (no dives)...IF you use RADAR, there should be video of the jet with the RADAR dispaly in it.
Next time out we'll do some doppler runs and post video for any to doppler (including us)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 PM
friedclutch

I am also not running a separate pack for the bec. I have it wired to the 5000mah flight battery connection. If you switch over to a separate battery I would go with an 800mah.

Out of all the burnt out ESC's I have seen, none of them took out the flight battery in addition to the ESC. Make sure to use a BEC rated to 6S lipo. The castle 10 amp that I have is rated 2S-6S. Such a great BEC for such a little cost. I have them in 3 planes.

EDIT: GEEEBEE32, Tam has a brake package for the Habu 32.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
GeeBee-RCU

Even 110 is FAST,,,,,,think about the RUSH you get in a car going 100 + mph!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:31 PM
efflux RC

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

This looks like a good Turbin-trainer alternative to glow ,,,,, Or,,,,,,,,,, for self gratification! Ok,,,how about breaks to stop with ?
Tam offers aRetact/Strut/Wheel/Brake package.
http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...a400fb4ca5b7ce
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
GeeBee-RCU

Pricy $
Old 04-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Regarding terminology, I believe "regulator" is a better term to use rather than "BEC" since BEC stands for "battery elimination circuit". We are (at least in some cases) adding an additional battery rather than eliminating a battery. I used a 2s 500 mah lipo battery based on a previous post by someone indicating a very low discharge on his 500 mah battery after a flight. I'm now thinking of adding a switch to the extra battery for convenience - gotta think it out some more.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I'm starting with a stock habu with a castle ice 100A esc. I know the motor is only rated for 6s but what are the possibilities
Of running 8s in the future? obviously the motor will be on borrowed time, what else?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
TBMAvenger
My Feedback: (1)

OK can someone clarify:

I plan to use the following:

-FP 6S 5000mah 50C Lipo
-Hitec HS85MG
-Stock Motor/Fan
*ICE 100 LITE(ESC) plus ICE 10amp BEC.

So, do I have to disable the BEC feature on the ESC? and/or Unpin red wire leads like the diagram from ICE?(oh and solder the ESC and BEC + leads too?)

First time using an external BEC…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84270.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1599836  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Ted62

Yes, if you're going to use an external regulator (BEC, as some call it), you must disable the ESC's BEC by not using the red wire that resides in the connector that goes to the throttle. It can be easily removed with a pin by lifting up the small plastic tab on the connector or, some use a short extension and just cut the red wire.
ORIGINAL: TBMAvenger

OK can someone clarify:

I plan to use the following:

-FP 6S 5000mah 50C Lipo
-Hitec HS85MG
-Stock Motor/Fan
*ICE 100 LITE(ESC) plus ICE 10amp BEC.

So, do I have to disable the BEC feature on the ESC? and/or Unpin red wire leads like the diagram from ICE?(oh and solder the ESC and BEC + leads too?)

First time using an external BEC…
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM
TBMAvenger

So as far as the software configuration on the ESC will all remain the same? No changes except the hard wire change...

OK, now the ESC and BEC(2 seperate connections) will go in the THR port on the receiver? how?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

You can use a 'y' connector or if one is available you can plug the regulator into to any available socket.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: TBMAvenger

So as far as the software configuration on the ESC will all remain the same? No changes except the hard wire change...

OK, now the ESC and BEC(2 seperate connections) will go in the THR port on the receiver? how?
Depending on the brand of ESC you use, there may be slight software changes you'll want to do. For example, I used the Horizon Hobby 80 AMP "Pro" ESC with BEC. However, in order for it to be used with various Lipo combinations, it sets its cutoff voltage at 74% (I think) of the pack's original starting voltage which is fine as long as you're using a fully charged pack. Otherwise, if the pack is isn't quite fully charged when you begin a flight, the cutoff may happen after the pack goes below a safe voltage - Lipo's are very unforgiving when it comes to being discharged too far below 2.5 volts per cell - most recommend 3.0 volts. I set my ESC to recognize the Habu pack as a 6S pack and the cutoff voltage is set in stone rather than a percentage. I'm not aware of any other ESC that uses a percentage other than the Electrafly brand, but, there may be others. The brake in my ESC was set to off which is where I'd want it for a DF model. Timing and the other parameters are up for discussion.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

So I'm starting with a stock habu with a castle ice 100A esc. I know the motor is only rated for 6s but what are the possibilities
Of running 8s in the future? obviously the motor will be on borrowed time, what else?
???anyone???
Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
efflux RC

ORIGINAL: Dieselman1220

I don't know about pushing the stock motor, but we offer a MEGA motor (Special order, until we build up some stock on them) for the HABU. It's 120kv higher than the stock motor. We are useing a 6s pack (our XPS 6s, 65c, 5000's) and a Castle ICE 100.
The thrust with setup is 6.4 lbs
The motor is the 16/40/1.5RC and needs to have the shaft shortened and a flat added for operation in the stock EDF. (we can mod the shaft for you)
We also offer an 8s MEGA motor for the Habu (16/40/1.5SEC)

Gary

our video is on the previous page
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
172amd

Gary, what is the Kv on that Mega 16/40/1.5SEC? You have test results for that motor in the EDF deltaV32?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Markwpilot

I'm building my second habu 32 and for this one i'm trying the fury fan that i got from shuman aviation.  should have it ready in about a week.  I tried taking mine off grass but was not successful.  I'll let you know if this one is any better.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Ted62

First Flight Report: Well, Mother Nature finally cooperated with a fine day to test fly the new (to me ) Habu 32. The grass at the field had just been mowed last evening and was in about the best shape possible for our field. There was quite a bit of dry grass strewn all over the place which added a bit of excitement during take-offs. Which brings me to the first flight - I placed it on the runway - didn't want to waste battery life by taxiing - aimed it into a 3-6 mph breeze and nailed the throttle. I began to pull up elevator and may have bent the joystick until it finally leaped into the air - backed off elevator and the plane picked up speed quickly - up gear and back to flight mode "cruise". I pulled back on the throttle to slow the thing down so I could get my bearings - sun was right over head and that proved to be a pain - the only trim needed were a couple of clicks "up" to alleviate what I think was a nose heavy condition. OK - after 3 minutes of feeling the plane out, time to set up the landing - I really didn't know how much the plane could be slowed down yet - so, landed pretty hot - one bounce and that was it - a big sigh of relief! Got my nerve up for another flight and this time the landing went much better - nose high and nice touch down on the mains - still a really tenuous take off in the grass - the small wheels make it very challenging, but, with practice, very doable. Logged 3 more flights later in the day and each succeeding flight was better and much more fun - well worth the time, effort, and $$ it took to build - it sounds terrific on the fly-bys!!! 6-7 minutes max, however - it don't wanna dead schtick it!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Tip22v

Congrats!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
ace1726

What type of connectors is everyone using for the batts & esc??? Will standard Deans type be okay, or is there something better??
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Hellcat716

Deans are great.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
1bwana1

Ted,
  Congrats on your maiden.  The more you fly it, the better you will like it.

I almost lost my Habu 32 yesterday. Another pilot had some trouble on take off while I was flying. He came straight at my head, and I ducked. This took my eyes off the Habu just as it had passed in front of me on a low high speed pass. When I looked up, I couldn't find my plane visually. It was low, going fast, and with it's thin profile going away I just could not pick it out from the trees in the background. Knowing how well the Habu tracks I had a pretty good idea where it probably was. I decided my best hope was to keep the throttle on, and give it a pull on the elevator hoping to find it on a vertical as it moved into a blue sky backround. Luckily, I timed the pull just right and I was able to spot it. It was pretty far away, and very small, but due to the Habu's gentle flying characteristicts I was able to get it back. I was shaking so bad it took two landing attempts to get it down.

I got lucky, it could have gone very bad.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Ted62

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

Ted,
Congrats on your maiden. The more you fly it, the better you will like it.

I almost lost my Habu 32 yesterday. Another pilot had some trouble on take off while I was flying. He came straight at my head, and I ducked. This took my eyes off the Habu just as it had passed in front of me on a low high speed pass. When I looked up, I couldn't find my plane visually. It was low, going fast, and with it's thin profile going away I just could not pick it out from the trees in the background. Knowing how well the Habu tracks I had a pretty good idea where it probably was. I decided my best hope was to keep the throttle on, and give it a pull on the elevator hoping to find it on a vertical as it moved into a blue sky backround. Luckily, I timed the pull just right and I was able to spot it. It was pretty far away, and very small, but due to the Habu's gentle flying characteristicts I was able to get it back. I was shaking so bad it took two landing attempts to get it down.

I got lucky, it could have gone very bad.
That IS scary! Very happy you could recover!!! The plane moves very fast and is not all that large - on my first flight, the sun was overhead and, I let it pass through the sun twice losing sight just for a second or so - not a good idea. I was surprised how slow the plane will fly on final. I try to keep the energy up in the turn on final and then hope I can bleed enough energy to make the landing nose high - that's going to take some more practice. I suppose you could say flying a jet is all about energy management. I also flew my Stearman - LOL - either one will spoil you - hard to transition, though. One more note, I think I may have a bit too much down elevator mixed in with the flaps - going to remove about 1/2 of it. Hopefully will fly again Thursday evening.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Tip22v

Deans are very popular, but are only rated around 52 amps. I have recently converted everything I have (30+ airplanes and helis) to XT60 connectors, they are much easier to solder, can handle higher amperage and don't suffer from intermittent connection when too much heat is used to solder them. If you use deans with spectrum make sure you do the torque test everytime you connect them to make sure the connection is solid, I was shocked at how many of my deans connectors failed this test, which is the main reason I don't use deans anymore. For my Habu I use the connectors recommended by HH, the blue EC5 connectors, they are supposedly rated at 100 AMPS.

I don't particularly like the design of the EC5, and they are not cheap at $8 per pair, but they seem to work well so far.

Tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.