Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whicy Dynam is Better?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Whicy Dynam is Better?

Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
jwright18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whicy Dynam is Better?

I just want people's opinions on the Dynam Grand Cruiser vs. The Dynam Turbojet.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 AM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Whicy Dynam is Better?

Need a bit more info.....which is better depends on a number of things. Your flying expertise/experience for one, and your expectations of what ever model plane you purchase. You're asking to sorta compare apples to oranges, here. The grand cruiser is, of course, a twin prop plane and the other an EDF. They both are a good value for the $$$, and Dynam is one of the better foamy manufacturers. Not sure of their RTF (with radio) as I do not know of the quality of the radio they use. But, the quality of their servos and ESC's are good. You're likely O.K. with either "receiver ready" version. The EDF is basicly a copy of the Parkzone Habu, which is a very good EDF; so if you have some EDF experience and want to fly releatively fast...it's a great choice. The Grand Cruiser will be a bit slower and easier to control. Neither plane is a good choice for one with minimal experience.

-Gary
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
jwright18

I would say on skill level I'm intermediate and I've always flown a plane with props and I want to fly an Edf but I'm not sure if it's a good choice.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
MN Seminole

You kind of answered your own question. If you want an EDF, the only one you listed is the Turbo Jet.

I'm also fairly new to EDF's, I will say they very different that any prop plane. In particular slow speed handling, landing characteristics, and the amount of time it takes to spool up power.

If you are set on Dynam, the Meteor is the Habu knock off. I fly a Habu and its a fabulous plane. From what I have read, the two planes are similiar handling and power. Probably an ok beginner plane. My son started with the Dynam A-10 and its another good starter. A single motor EDF is always going to be a better option as a starter but there are good twin engine options.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM
gary41

I made an error in my last post, as I misstook the "Turbo Jet" that you refered to as the "Meteor". As you know, the Turbo is a twin and the "Meteor" IS the Habu copy.....and it is a great flying plane. I had one until I flew it too far away and I lost it's orientation way out there......end of story and plane! Many folkd have that plane and love it! You should be able to handle it...jsut have an experienced pilot close by to help you trim it out on it's maiden.

-Gary
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
jwright18

K thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 PM
AraTidwell

I fly a Habu, which is almost identical to the Dynam meteor. I really think that design is the best EDF trainer in existance.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:12 AM
ACES&8s

If you can build RC and fly RC, the Dynam Turbojet is a very well designed jet, has the features of good power and good wing loading (light). Also, a longer wingspan, is more managable than short wings. This Dynam is a very good trainer.
The Grand Cruiser is also very good trainer. Primarily, props use power more slowly, because fans in the 64mm class need twice the watts to cause the same thrust. A Grand Cruiser could very likely sustain flight longer on the same pack.

I don't like this about both: The Canopy and that area lack detail, and appear cheap. The A/C is not cheap, it's a very good value, both of them, yet out of the entire appearances of the planes, that scale area is done too quickly. An experienced modeller will undoubtedly touch up the model.

What the Grand Cruiser has for props, 3 blade, and spinner, could promote issues. Clip the tip of the prop, and it need replacing, this issue shows up: Where do I quickly get a replacement?

As far as build and fly for novices, both planes are equally suited, the top speed of the Turbojet is a hazzard for raw beginner fliers. Although new flyers are dangerous with ANYTHING they fly...(laugh)

I have not built or flown either, yet I did watch the flight video of each on Nitroplanes and if they're similar to other Dynam aircraft to build, they can be accomplished by a novice. If you want to help the new pilot, all I can say is, "Stand behind the pilot, it's the safest place to stand, because you can hide behind him when the plane is out of control"
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 AM
gary41

ORIGINAL: ACES&8s

What the Grand Cruiser has for props, 3 blade, and spinner, could promote issues. Clip the tip of the prop, and it need replacing, this issue shows up: Where do I quickly get a replacement?
Grayson Hobby stocks many replacement parts for Dynam....they DO have 3 blade prop, spinner, motor, motor shaft, wing, etc. Good folks, located in Georga!

-gary
Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 AM
ACES&8s

Way to go South...good info to know...