Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Large Scale F-22 EDF for "Project Starscream"

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Large Scale F-22 EDF for "Project Starscream"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Scale F-22 EDF for "Project Starscream"

I'm looking for a large scale F-22 EDF for me and some friends to paint up like Starscream from the transformers flicks. The most suitable candidate I've found so far has been the one banana hobby sells that I gather comes from LX models/Blitz. I'm a little leery about it because of the horror stories I've heard about BH electronics and how poor their customer service seems to be. I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar ARF F-22 in that size range we could use?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: Large Scale F-22 EDF for

Almost any foam EDF regardless of vendor uses the same electronics. Most are just re branded but identical. If your concerned about electronics best bet is airframe only then installing your choice of components.
Mike
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

I've considered that route, but the thing is I'm not experienced enough with building to go airframe only. I wish hobby lobby had an ARF F-22 similar to the F/A-18 they sell. While I do have some very talented artists at my disposal I don't have any hands on help with electronics installation. Also would it be a good idea to do the artwork before the build or after? I would like to test fly the aircraft before painting because it would be a shame to get it perfect and put it in the ground because of a parts failure.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry but a foam F22 from these places are far from large scale.............
I was hoping you where talking about a yellow F22 or Jetlegend F22.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Um, I guess our ideas of large scale are a bit different. Although I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned...do you care to enlighten me?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go here they have one of the bigest F22 out there and it is a great foam jet . And I am sure you can get it in rtf or arf that is ready to fly and almost ready to fly with electrics and or not. Check them out. http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=436
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Checked em out giddy. I'm still thinking of going with the BH/LX Raptor. It's an ideal size and such. I might just replace the ESC/receiver and hope that does it.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
MaxThrottle

The LX version is a fine model. You don't even have to go to BH to get it ARF/PNP or frame only. You sited concern though re your experience. Then you may need to start doing some reading and invest in your learning curve because, as Miket mentioned just about all have their issues because they come in at their price point using some of the cheapest components.

Meaning even if you get a PnP, you have to check everything over and make certain that all components are flight worthy and what may be suspect to fail. Read the threads of all the reported issues both here on RCG and any other forums that report issues. If you have read any of these posts, many especially with RTF or PNP setups often feel like test guinea pig's working all the bugs out of a model. And while some may rightly cast blame on the vendor, distributor, creator... in the end the blame is always shared with the pilot as they are to confirm their model flight ready at all times before they fly.

Yes there are size classes so your remark of your opinion verse others ???? Just glance at what is classed as giant scale... usually 25%-30% and above. This is also set by certain competition types and AMA/ MAAC classifications. So I too though you were asking about something 2 meters long till I saw BH.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

Thanks for the insight Max, I would say my lack of knowledge concerning the size classes is just another detail showing my inexperience. I just think the LX is an ideal size for what we're trying to do and at this point I consider the size of that model to be rather large. I agree that the blame is shared with the pilot. I have two 70mm EDFs (an F-4 and an F-16) that I got from nitroplanes. Both are still flyable and have all stock electronics minus the receiver and transmitter on the F-16. I've had the F-4 for about 2 yrs now. If it weren't for the negative things I've read about BH and NP I would think they sell good products. But also because of that I do preflight inspections on those two planes, while I admittedly don't always do them on my Parkzone warbirds. Anyhow with the cost of the LX F-22 being more than the sum of my two NP models I just wanted to see if there was a similar sized ARF that had a little bit of a better pedigree.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
MaxThrottle

Surprising there isn't. The LX is the largest Foam F22 that I know of. I myself prefer that it has full moving tailerons rather than a Stab/Elevator. The Smoke and eject is a little much but it suites some people.
Post some Pictures of the StarScream Theme. I have a PakFa T-50 that I'm working on and am looking for different colour schemes myself. Its was one of the things that caught my attention from your thread.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

I plan on posting pics of the project as it progresses. I agree with you about the eject but I think the smoke would be rather awesome when coupled with a starscream themed F-22. It just seems rather transformerish. Have you seen the second movie? (Revenge of the Fallen) That is the scheme we're going to use. It looks VERY cool. I like the scale themed aircraft to an extent but the ones with a unique paint scheme really get me, which is why I went with the tiger schemed F-16 from nitroplanes. It doesn't seem to me like other places sell those cool scale airframes with a unique paint job like that.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
MaxThrottle

Kind of wish you could paint a hologram into the finish to make it appear that SS is morphing as you roll of something.
Actually I haven't seen the fallen yet. I've been away and will be away again in a few weeks. Gonna have to wait till its out on BR.