Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Hobby Lobby F-18

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby F-18

Looking to buy an EDF jet and research on the web has pointed me towards this one. I was thinking a Banana Hobby product, but from what I have read the hobby lobby 90mm F-18 is as solid as the come. Just wondering if anyone has one of these and if so, what is the good and the bad. I have a very nice, smooth, short cut grass at my flying field and just wondering if the landing gear will withstand grass.

Thanks Input appreciated.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Lobby F-18

I can recommend it. It's a great flying plane with surprising low speed flight. It looks good on the ground and better in the air.
The negative things........... Nose gear was mounted crooked which caused many steering problems. Fodded the Fan on the 5th take-off. Motor bearings came loose in the bore due to oversize machining. CA fixed it. Fan balance. Main gear springs are a little too strong, I changed mine.
I am finishing installation of flaps on mine and may give it movable rudders if it survives very long. I don't use the vectored thrust.
Would I buy another one? Absolutely. The problems are small compared to the fun you will have.
Brad