Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ? >

would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ?

hey ,

i have been flying parkzone T-28 .

i have a received parkzone Habu , stock. not flown it.

so to practice for landing Habu , would shortening the wing on T-28 make it land faster like the Habu ?

would it be worth doing ? any practice value ?

thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ?

Hi rcfun,

The habu is a less draggy design and holds its speed better than the T28. Rather than cutting the wing down I would suggest ballasting ( Adding Weight ) to your T28 to increase its landing speed. You can calculate the wing loading of the Habu vs. the T28. Then it is a matter of making the T28 have the same wing loading. This will get you in the ballpark but, I think you will find the Habu and T28 are two very different planes. You may wish to find a intermediate model closer to the habu but is a little more forgiving like the T28.

Just My .02

Carlos G.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: would shortning parkzone T-28 wing make it land more like parkzone Habu ?

The Habu has much more energy than a T28. The speed regime of a T28 is probably around 20-60 mph vs a Habu ~40 to 85 mph and the weight is about a pound less. The wing shape is also less forgiving than the Trojan. You're not really going to be able to simulate that difference without extensive mods to the trojan.

The Habu is a faster plane and it is capable of "getting away" from a learner very fast. If you're not used to "flying from memory" (your thumbs should know how to "undo" every turn without you actually needing to see the plane and "guess" which way to control it) then it is NOT a good choice as a step up from a Trojan for you at this time. Also a key difference is how to judge the landing (energy). Really, the latter is relatively easy to master with a few practice landings== assuming the basics are already mastered. Once you can confidently fly a Habu (or any plane), you'll see you can enter a pattern at a known height and distance from yourself and correctly gauge exactly when to lessen the throttle to be able to make predictable turns onto final and finally let it settle in the landing zone. Any fast and heavy plane will need practice but being able to perform that practice without losing the plane is key.

If you're already flying the T28 close to the ground, doing rolls in either direction and can nail a landing at your feet every time then I'd say you're fine to move up to a Habu. If not, I suggest flying the T28 more and/or getting more sim time rather than buying another plane.

Another option to consider is taking the gear off. If you haven't already maxxed out all the throws (out on the servo end, in on the control horn to the limit of the physical hinge travel) do that also. The T28 is a very nice flyer without the weight of the gear and with the CG aft an inch or so. You can do knife edge and the plane will have a nicer loading so you can fly it slower and turn tighter. Plus it will be a tiny bit faster and you can practice belly landings. I think it looks much better too.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 AM

hey thanks for all the post ...

i forgot to mention, i have plenty time on flying heli's , with only little time flying planes.

so i am concentrating more on dealing with landings getting on runway correctly.

sounds like i just need to get very comfortable with various landings and adding some weight as indicated above with T-28 ,

thanks for input !!!