Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

35mm AEO edf ??

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35mm AEO edf ??

I just ordered the AEO 35mm edf plus. I have been reading the little info i could find, and it seems the 11000kv motor in combination with the 8 bladed fan results in a very inefficient system. From what I have read, about 50% efficiency. Does anyone have the diameter of the installed motor, and any suggestions on replacement motors. I was wondering if maybe the brushless motors they make for the 1/18th scale cars would be a good fit? My next idea was removing 4 of the blades to reduce the load on the 11000kv motor. Its hard to believe that the little 35mm edf should pull up to 22amps. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated, currently building a twin edf F-15, so that much inefficiency multiplied by two results in a bit of a headache, between getting a battery to handle the 50amps, and two 25 amp esc's, it is making its way into a brick the more i look into it. Thanks in advance for any help you have. If you have any other setups that you guys have used with success for a similar size edf, feel free to give details.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
k12rc

Default RE: 35mm AEO edf ??

I use the 40mm on a 1 T33 and it works really well I think its only around 25 bucks I have been flying one three years on a 9amp esc ifyou would like to see pics let me know I think itis a 8600kv
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
vh2q
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 35mm AEO edf ??

Been there done that. Proton won't mount. Shaft too short as well. Feigao, Turnigy etc too weak to turn the 8 bladed fan. I ended up rewinding the stock motor with 7 turns instead of 6 to lower the KV a bit, also used one strand of .015 wire instead of the factory fine multistrand wire. I estimate that gave me as much power with only 15A, using the 8 bladed fan. However, that's not the end of the problem. Keeping the fan on is a major headache. CA'ing it on will shear off the mounting tube inside the fan hub. I ended up making an al hub that fits inside the fan hub, even that had a habit of coming off the motor shaft 'til I roughed up the skinny part of the shaft and glued it on with CA. Once you have done that, you can't take the motor out of the hub.

How much thrust do you need? If only a couple of oz (say 60g) you can get away with a "milder" motor. The factory motor does not produce anything close to the advertised 7 oz (200gr) thrust by the way.

I am going to try one of BIM's 35mm shrouds with a GWS 6 blade bolt-on impeller with a NEU proton.

If you came up with a better solution, let me know.