Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

XB-70 EDF

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XB-70 EDF

I have a Toysonics EDF XB-70 with horrible directions. Couldn't get the radio to work at first and now the front isn't wide enough for the battery. Anyone out there with experience using this model? Let me know as I have a few questions!!!!!!

Steve Westphal

Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: XB-70 EDF

Did you order it from Toysonics? I am trying to find one and it looks like they are the only ones who still have any in stock.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Steve Westphal

Yes I got it from Toysonics and it is the last thing I ever get from them. Service is terrible. Treated me like a 5 year old. Tx was funky and it won't mix the elevons. Am putting a different radio in it that will mix right. The plane is beautiful but pray you get one that works. Plan on a different radio more than likely.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Sessholvlaru

Well I must have gotten ToySonics's last XB-70 because it went from "in stock" to "out of stock" after I ordered one. There is a huge thread on r c groups about the plane.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Joe 1320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an airframe only and did my own build. Replace the metal wire in the front retract before you fly. It WILL fold if you use the stock wire. What else do you want to know?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di05t_BTQ_E[/youtube]
Old 03-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Sessholvlaru

Got mine together tonight. It is definitely larger than I thought it would be and it totally looks awesome. Went together fine, except for:

-One of the elevon servos smoked (literally) the second I powered it up, I had to replace it. Maybe the servo arm was put on wrong and it stalled itself out once powered, the ESC got rather hot before I noticed the problem.

-The retracts all needed linkage tweaks to work properly, but once the were set they work great.

-I thought the fan exploded the second I went to give it power, turned out the rear shaft set screw wasn't even tight and the motor had come apart. I'm pretty sure it was already apart before I powered it up. But no damage was done and I simply reassembled the motor. I also balanced the fan and it actually sounds great.

-The nose retract pulled right out, found that 3 of the 4 screws missed the plastic mounting blocks when it was assembled, easy fix.

In terms of the nose retract wire mine seems very strong. There is a thick aluminum sleeve where the steering servo is linked to, where does it usually bend?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97256.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1742335  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM
hadatom

I got two XB-70's. It is my favorite edf. It is correct that the nose connecting rod is too soft and needs to be changed. I greatly improved the power on the plane by cutting out the bottom rearward of the fan and putting a straight tube 70 mm diameter all the way to the back. Otherwise it was underpowered. I believe it is still available at H1 hobby http://www.h1hobby.com/ Very good service, this is where I got my second one. I think they only have it in grey.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: hadatom

I got two XB-70's. It is my favorite edf. It is correct that the nose connecting rod is too soft and needs to be changed. I greatly improved the power on the plane by cutting out the bottom rearward of the fan and putting a straight tube 70 mm diameter all the way to the back. Otherwise it was underpowered. I believe it is still available at H1 hobby http://www.h1hobby.com/ Very good service, this is where I got my second one. I think they only have it in grey.
Their site only lists 5 EDF jets, none of which are the XB-70. I found another site that lists the plane in stock, might have to order a spare before I fly mine.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
hadatom

They have it, but it's not listed with the other EDF jets. You have to do a "search" in the box on the right hand side of their web page. That's how I found it.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
hadatom

Go to the H1hobby web site and in the lower box where it says "quick find" on the right hand side,type in "XB-70". I got my second one there because the company which produced it informed me that they do not manufacture it anymore. H1hobby hasit for $119, servos and duct fan included but no motor or ESC. I received it at my door 5 days after ordering. Shipping fees are veryreasonable.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Steve Westphal

I have mine ready to go, finally. Tx wouldn't mix. Bought a cheap radio with mix so we will try it this week. Pray for me.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Sessholvlaru

Go to the H1hobby web site and in the lower box where it says ''quick find'' on the right hand side, type in ''XB-70''. I got my second one there because the company which produced it informed me that they do not manufacture it anymore. H1hobby has it for $119, servos and duct fan included but no motor or ESC. I received it at my door 5 days after ordering. Shipping fees are very reasonable.
Thanks for the tip. They show the white one so I assume that is what you get. I wouldn't want a gray one...
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: Steve Westphal

I have mine ready to go, finally. Tx wouldn't mix. Bought a cheap radio with mix so we will try it this week. Pray for me.
I'm an atheist so I can't help with prayers. However from what a gather this plane is very easy to fly, as most delta's are. Just make sure your throws are reasonable and climb for altitude before feeling it out to get it trimmed.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Steve Westphal

I will remember that advice. 45 years ago my brother and I flew the dickens out of the Competition Models F/F profile with the .049. What a blast. We flew the wings off of it literally. At least 100 flights. It would climb in a wide circle and when the fuel was gone it would float down in a huge circle. Beautiful if I must say. We ended up putting a "super hopped up" nitro burning Cox Black Widow" on it and we needed field glasses to follow it to it's apex!!!!! What a blast. Am in the process of building a tiny EDF job for the gym. 3 channels and no landing gear. Then I will start on the German fellows monster. It is about 9 or 10 feet long with a span of about 6 1/2 feet. Bombs and all. It is designed for a .91 pusher glow engine. Would love to stick 3 or 4 turbines in it but can't spare 7 or 8 car payments!!!!! Maybe I will go with EDF. I have always loved this plane and consider it to be America's finest piece of aeronautical engineering!!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 AM
hadatom

Give it about 3/16 inch up trim. My stock version was somewhat underpowered until I made the modification I described above, so make sure to give it sufficient runway space before taking off andlet it build up speed once in the air. Do not overcontrol. The long nose is disconcerting in flight, it looks like it's chasing itself.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
toddeanderson

Thanks for the info, I just ordered one.
What motor did you use and where did you get it?
I'd hate to order one that does not fit.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Sessholvlaru

Today I finally got around to painting the wheels on my Valkyrie. The blue plastic ones look ridiculous. Makes me wonder why every piece of plastic on this plane is blue...

I still haven't flown mine yet, been waiting for some decent flying weather. I was going to order another one from H1 but I saw another hard to find plane (Black Bunny F-4) so I ordered that instead. Another XB-70 will be coming my way shortly. I found that Light In The Box also sells the XB-70, they have some RTF's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84636.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1754862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32489.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1754863  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 AM
hadatom

My first XB-70 came with the motor and I haven't put a motor on my second one yet. Theinside diameter of the stock duct fan unit is 29 mm and the shaft diameter is 4 mm. My first choice which fits these criteria would be the HobbykingHK2839 EDF outrunner 2800kv for 70 mm, but it is presently on backorder my second choice would be the Turnigy 2226 3000 mm outrunner for 70 mm. I am a bit concerned that it may fit a bit tight inthe stock duct fan housing. Remember this is an outrunner ! I would ordera spare duct fan unit at the same time and an ESClarger than 45 A.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
hadatom

I think the Light in theBox XB-70 does not have retracts. Verify with them.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Sessholvlaru

I think the Light in theBox XB-70 does not have retracts. Verify with them.
They have both, fixed gear and retracts.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Sessholvlaru

I was informed by H1 that the Phantom I ordered is sold out. I was also told that the XB-70 was out of stock too, so either they lied to me or hadatom got the last two.

So I found the Phantom in-stock at parkrcmodels.com and ordered one. I also ordered another XB-70 from Lightinthebox. Guess I will wait and see if the XB order goes through...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
wallace.tharp

Re; how cool the XB-70 was, I worked for FAA at Edards AFB just after the mid-air happened with the Valkerie & Frank Sanatra's Lear which was on loan to North American to do photo work oof the XB-70. What a shame. I head the actual voice tapes of the mid-air, not pretty, it had an excape capsule, more like almost the whole chckpit, memory serves, it had to be ejected downward. I'm sure Google or similar will have pleanty of infor on an amazing story. My father inlaw worked on both of them. you can see the survivor at Wright-Patt AFB museum on the ramp. He said the one that crashed was a beautiful working airplane and the surviving one had major mechanical and gear problems every time it flew. Yes it is beautiful but interestingly, it was the decider on the USA not buliling an SST. And even though I love the Concord, the more you reasearch it the more you will see that it was really a mistake. In closing. the most berautiful aircraft ever was..... the B-1 bomber and I saw it land at EDW on it's first flight. Before they degraded the HUGE engines it was a screaming monster. Wallace Tharp CFII MEI, etc.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

Re; how cool the XB-70 was, I worked for FAA at Edards AFB just after the mid-air happened with the Valkerie & Frank Sanatra's Lear which was on loan to North American to do photo work oof the XB-70. What a shame. I head the actual voice tapes of the mid-air, not pretty, it had an excape capsule, more like almost the whole chckpit, memory serves, it had to be ejected downward. I'm sure Google or similar will have pleanty of infor on an amazing story. My father inlaw worked on both of them. you can see the survivor at Wright-Patt AFB museum on the ramp. He said the one that crashed was a beautiful working airplane and the surviving one had major mechanical and gear problems every time it flew. Yes it is beautiful but interestingly, it was the decider on the USA not buliling an SST. And even though I love the Concord, the more you reasearch it the more you will see that it was really a mistake. In closing. the most berautiful aircraft ever was..... the B-1 bomber and I saw it land at EDW on it's first flight. Before they degraded the HUGE engines it was a screaming monster. Wallace Tharp CFII MEI, etc.
The XB-70 collided with Joe Walker's F-104.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
wallace.tharp

Come to think of it , you are right, it was a 104 & it took off the virticles, some speculate he got caught in the wake of the XB-70, not a normal thing for a big time test pilot to do. The Lear was in a group of several ACFT and did some filming I believe. Wallace Tharp
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
wallace.tharp

Ok,. Sess, you are right. I Googled it under "Joe Walker, test pilot" and you wouldn't believe the coverage and pix under "Secret Heroes." Great article and lots of factual infor by a guy that was there. A great book for anyone interested in the era, is "The edge of Space" by Milt O. Thompson, He and Joe Walker and the most famous test pilots at Edwards AFB at the time all flew the X-15 together. The most exciting aircraft of all times, built in 1959 or so. PS, I have 2 of the EDF, F-34 Fullbacks and am considering the XB-70 model. Great vid and great flying in the first part of theis thread. Sincerely, I remain, Wallace L. Tharp Range Control Office, USAF Contract

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.