Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Need your help.......Thanks >

Need your help.......Thanks

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Need your help.......Thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help.......Thanks

Can you please give me your opinion on the below two Jets, which one do you think is a better buy.
Thank You so much for your reply

http://www.bananahobby.com/2162.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1298

Bobbart
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 362 Likes on 291 Posts
Default RE: Need your help.......Thanks

Do a search on Bananna Hobby or check them with the California BBB
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need your help.......Thanks

ORIGINAL: bobbart

Can you please give me your opinion on the below two Jets, which one do you think is a better buy.
Thank You so much for your reply

http://www.bananahobby.com/2162.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1298

Bobbart
Its really gonna depend on a few things. The BH model is very cool with all the scale items on it, folding wings, opening canopy etc. But let me list what I think is the down side to this one. For starters depending on where you live (elevation) it is likely that you will need to replace both the motors, and ESC's with better ones. Meaning, more kv on the motors and larger esc's to accomodate the higher power motors. But since your gonna have to take the edf unit out to replace the motors you may as well replace the EDF unit while your in there. The other thing that Im very leary about is the folding wings. If I recall correctly the wing pins are driven by a servo less retract type gear which is great but Im still not very excited about the fact that if for some reason while flying you hit the wronglever on your radio you could accedentally retract you locking pins on your folding wings and that would be very ugly to say the least. Also I think that the folding wing design could also fail just in general in flight.

So let me break this down to you. The BH hornet is cool looking, but it already cost $480. Then your probably gonna have to dump another $200-$400 in EDF/motor/ESC's into it depending on what you buy. This is only really necessary to make it fly the way it should, especially if you livemuch above sea level.

The Hobby Lobby F 18 looks to be a pretty straight forward design with little to no frills (extras) with the exception of the thrust vectoring. Which is cool if your a good pilot, and trust the servos that operate that system. According to the guy that did the reviewits best speed was only 65 mph which is pretty slow for an EDR of that size. So if it were my jet it to would be getting an upgraded EDF/motor/ESC set up. Which isnt to bad but still going to cost you in the range of $200-$400 depending on what you buy. But it is $100 less in price compared to the BH F-18. That and its got a smaller wing span and weighs less.

Comparing the two of them the BH model is larger and more scale. Twin motors, folding wings, moving canopy, flaps, functioning slats, full flying horizontal tail surfaces, gear doors etc,, etc. I think the only thing it doesnt have is an operating speed brake. And its HUGE. 47in wing span, and a tank weighing in at 97 oz (6lbs). Now you have to consider the money. $480 dollars for the ARF package. The radio that you can purchase with this ARF works, but if you havent watched the flight review (I recommend it) Pete uses his own high end radio. There is probably a reason for this. Plus if you choose to do the EDF/motor/ESC upgrade and I highly recommend it your looking to spend up to an additional $400.And thats not including the cost of a radio. So you could realistically could be spending close to $1100-$1200 including radio and batteries. Bare in mind that Im figuring high the upgrades so my estimates could be less.

Now with the Hobby lobby F 18. Its pretty scale looking in appearance with the flaps, full flying horizontal tail, retracts and gear and its got the thrust vectoring (not a fan of myself). But it only as one EDF unit/motor/ESC. Which is fine. But as I mentioned above the reviewer stated that it only went 65 mph on the stock set up. So your probably going to have to upgrade the EDF/motor/ESC set up.For at or about $200-$400 depending on what you get. Its considerably smaller also. Wing span is only 37 inch and it weighs in 72 oz (4.5lbs). So with an upgraded EDF/motor/ESC is should be a rocket. But its still not cheap either. $390 plus the upgrades and you still need a radio, and batteries. So your still looking to spend pretty close$1000 or morewitha good radio and a couple ofbatteries. Bare in mind that I figured high on the upgrades so my estimates could be less.

I figured high on the dollar amounts but those are worst case scenario's. It could be more it could be less. If I were making the purchase, I would probably buy the Hobby Lobby model. It has less bells and whistles to fail. I would disable the thrust vectoring, and upgrade the power plant package. These are my opinions based off of factual information.