Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Air intake appears to small is a cheater hole required? >

Air intake appears to small is a cheater hole required?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Air intake appears to small is a cheater hole required?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake appears to small is a cheater hole required?

greetings to all,

I have been lurking the forums for months gleaning what I can use to apply to my planes, and recently aquired a figerglass shell L-39 and am in the process of setting it up with either a 90mm edf or possibly the 80mm DeltaV32 from eflight. anyway I'm concerned about the Air Intakes on the airframe, After recieving air intake tubes from rc-warbirds, I thought I would throw this photo out to the local community and see what more experienced builders/flyers can weigh in on Before I start cutting. What I am need to know is after I trim down the air inlets, and trim the glass intakes to mate up to the fan shroud, will I need to provide a cheater hole from the center of intake, for more air input? or should I just put in a smaller tube with a few holes drilled in it to allow air in from front retract area to cool the esc and battey. A few of my more experienced local pilots have expressed concerns about this which has me thinking I need more advice. I have a couple of other edf jets and all their intakes are overly large. So please take a look and lend me your thoughts. the plane is 43" long, wing is 54". I think the all up wieght will be around 7-8lbs depending on the batteries used. So please look over the photos and respond.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74404.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1827786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93850.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1827787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46548.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1827788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45153.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1827789  
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air intake appears to small is a cheater hole required?

HI,
The ducts look OK in size and inlet area. The inlet area of the L-39 however looks very small. I can't tell which model it is as the first picture is only a miniature so can't help there. The bottom line is that you should have 100% FSA (fan swept area=inlet area of fan minus area the motor takes away) as an inlet. You can get away with slightly less. Much less and you will need cheater hole. Hope this helps for a start.
Chris<br type="_moz"/>