Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

N-tech Jets Mig 15

Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N-tech Jets Mig 15

I recently finished a N-tech Jets Mig 15 purchased from Hobby People last spring. I built and balanced the plane as per the instructions using a used BVM 4010 fan and 12 cells (4 x 3 cell 5000 mha Turnigy packs). My friend and jet guru Ron Stahl flew the maiden flight at the last Farview Flyer rally in Hamburg Pa. From the grass field the plane lifted off 175' with no flaps and full power. After climbing out to a safe altitude and throttling back to half power it required minor roll trim but a lot of up elevator trim. Ron continued in the pattern getting accustomed to it for three minutes before dropping the gear and announcing landing. While still at half power Ron lowered the flaps to first position with no noticeable attitude change than midway thru the final turn full flaps where deployed and still change in attitude. Once the field was made Ron reduced power to 1/3 than to idle after clearing the corn. The plane continued to settle with no hint of floating till a main gear touch down at about running speed. Post Flight Ron mentioned he used all of the available elevator during landing and it was decided to increase the elevator throw 50%. Three more 4 minute flights have been made since then all at half throttle to break in the batteries. Two or three more break in flights and then we'll pour the coal to it and see what kind of speed and vertical performance she'll have. At 19.5 lbs. I don't think its going to be a rocket but that's just fine with me, scale planes should be flown at scale speeds.

When delivered the packaging was not very good and the tail of the fuselage was broken into 7 pieces. Fortunately all the pieces remained in the carton and I was able to massage them all back into shape with a Monokote iron and patch it back together with .5oz. cloth, thin CA and a little Bondo.

This plane has an odd construction method, the wood formers are tied by carbon rod stringers and then the Styrene plastic fuselage halves are bonded to the wood and carbon where light ply forms the wing spar boxes and landing gear mounts. The wings and tail feathers are built up wood with shrink covering and seem pretty strong and straight. The supplied retracts and struts are Robart rip offs but after lubricating and cycling many times they are holding 60 psi. of air overnight. I mounted as much of the equipment as far forward as possible then carved out some of the second former to get the flight batteries far enough forward so no ballast was needed. I wanted to use my 6 cells from my Habu 32 but couldn't get them to squeeze in without crushing the intake duct. The intake ducting will need to be lined with carbon tow and epoxy on the outer surface to keep them from collapsing.

First thing to do before starting the assembly like all Asian ARFs is to through away the hardware package, it will only help in the end.

Being my first scale jet I think it will serve me well although I don't think it will take too much landing abuse before it will require repair. I'm planning on using it as a stepping stone before building a BVM Mig. ARFs aren't really my thing I like building as much as flying but it's nice to gain some practice time before I commit $4,000.00.