Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Recommended Power Set up for F-4 Phantom

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Recommended Power Set up for F-4 Phantom

Old 04-18-2014, 10:37 AM
kylelord
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommended Power Set up for F-4 Phantom

Hello Everyone,
I've been thinking about building a F-4 Phantom from some plans I've come across. I'm new to ducted fan and have some smaller electric experience from 450 sized helis. I'd like to gather as much information as I can before jumping into this project.
The specs for the plans are:
46" wingspan
63" fuse
12-16 lbs.
From what I've seen something in the 110mm range would be close with a 160 amp esc and 10s-12s setup. I got this from a Jethanger f-4 build.
I don't want flat out speed but I want enough oomph to get off a grass runway.
I understand that this isn't an inexpensive project but I'm still somewhat on a budget. I'm willing to scrimp and save for the right setup. I realize buying a cheap fan from hobbyking, throwing a blade then buying the correct one is even more expensive. I know that batteries and speed controllers are pricey too and I'd like to get the right setup the first time.
Thank you very much for any help,
Kyle
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest a strong 90mm setup, its much easier to find a good one, cheaper, lighter, and just as powerful these days with the current crop of motors available to us. For example, a Jetfan fan unit with HET 700-68-1200 motor on 12s will give you over 11lb thrust at 95 amps, run a pair of high quality 4500 packs and you will be able to throttle manage a decent 3-4 min flight out of it and still keep it light. You can get away with a Platninum PRO 120A ESC, everything will be smaller and lighter and easier to deal with, means you should be able to lighten the model and maybe even get it down around 10-11lb. You can find more details on the Jetfan HERE. There are other options, Wemotec EVO fan unit will produce similar numbers with the same motor.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
kylelord
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great
Thank you for the advice. I was originally thinking a 90mm fan but thought it may have been underpowered. What would the watts/lb be on that setup? From what I understand a 1 to 1 power to weight has plenty of oomph.
How difficult is an F-4 to fly? I have a lot of prop plane experience, a little warbird, and a lot of heli. I'll be getting a jet trainer to begin with.
Well I just bought the plans and will soon start gathering wood, retracts and electronics. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I go.
Thanks again!
Kyle
Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The link I posted to my site has all the details on power etc for every setup, 4200 watts for over 5kg thrust, should be enough! I have flown jets well under 1:1 with no issue, building light is more important than chucking huge power into something. The F4 is a pretty easy model to fly as long as the wing loading is not too high. I have flown 90mm foam versions which are pretty light of course, but they fly like trainers. Running a hi power 90mm fan is going to help you with weight and setup internally, you will have a lot of room, can get away with smaller intakes too and keep it scale looking while still having enough airflow.