Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How much thrust for a grass field takeoff?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

How much thrust for a grass field takeoff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Scratchie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much thrust for a grass field takeoff?

I will be building my first electric aircraft ever, and my first jet ever (I have lots of building experience, construction isn't a problem). After looking at my options, It seems that the Ziroli Turbinator E-90mm (50" ws - Ziroli Turbinator E-90mm - $119.00 : Laser Design Services) may be the best choice.

If I had any electric/jet experience at all, I'd prefer to build the RC Custom Jets L-39 Albatros 1:6.5 (http://www.therccustomjets.cz/en/mod...-construction). But since they come with no plans and build threads are few, I think that the Ziroli may be the way to go for the first electric/jet build.

Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions for EDF/battery setups that would be suitable for Grass Fields. I know only glow prop planes, and have a good idea of how these planes will perform before I build one. But with an electric jet I have no idea what to expect... I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, thanks.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:16 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Very simple answer to your question, "the more the better", but it all depends on how heavy you built it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Scratchie

RTF weight will be 5 - 6 pounds.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Joseph Frost

Mate, as a first EDF jet I would suggest to go for one of the ARF foamies, there is so much to choose from in any size. Lot better choice for the grass fields than some balsa sticks build one.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchie
Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions for EDF/battery setups that would be suitable for Grass Fields. I know only glow prop planes, and have a good idea of how these planes will perform before I build one. But with an electric jet I have no idea what to expect... I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, thanks.
The Turbinator is a pretty easy model to set up, I have done fans for a few customers who built the short kit. Your only real decision is whether to go 6 cells or 8 cells. If you want the fan to be usable in other more advanced models down the track then I would look at setting it up with electric retracts and 8 cell fan system. The cost of fan/motor is the same for either, only the ESC will be a little different, and you will use a pair of 4000-5000mah 4s packs instead of a single 5000-6000mah 6s pack.

The fan I have supplied for this model is HERE
The ESC that many use with this setup (with the heatsink fins in the intake airflow) is HERE
You will also need a hi voltage UBEC, the one I use in every 90mm jet is HERE

This fan unit is a custom Jetfan that puts out a lot of thrust, on strong batteries you will see 4.5kg initially, taking off from grass is no issue. I use the slightly milder one in my Black Horse T33 Lightning, it weighs 4kg ready to fly, that's almost 9lb, takes off in around 100ft on grass, smooth as silk, the Turbinator will be just as if not easier to get up.
I send fans all over the world, bear in mind the pricing on the website is in AUD so converting to USD multiply the price by 0.78 to get an approximate figure.

I can help you with retracts and strut sets that will work nicely in the Turbinator, servoless with alloy trunions and legs, good enough for all my 4-4.5kg models! They will bolt in exactly as the Robart ones do that are shown in the original plans of this model, connecting them requires only ext and Y leads to bring all 3 into one lead straight into channel 5, nothing to set or adjust they just work! If you are interested in talking more about it shoot me an email: [email protected]
Old 04-30-2018, 01:41 AM
Joseph Frost

Originally Posted by Scratchie
RTF weight will be 5 - 6 pounds.
Grass can be an issue for heavy wing loaded EDFs, 5-6 pounds is pretty light but it all depends on the actual size of the model. And there is a grass and the grass, I fly off the goat tracks but there are manicured fields as well, requiring lot smaller wheels. This "Habu" I bought four years ago was so heavy the chap could walk faster then it rolled along the grass while trying to take off!
After few mods I got it going of any surface, there is always a way. Build them "light"!

After some innovation flies of any surface.

Tho, much nicer off the site like this.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Joseph Frost

Smile

After few easy rotations off the beach sand I took my latest project to my grass strip to see how it goes, no hope! Maybe in the winter month when the strip gets hard and dry with decent head wing I could take off this short 70 meter runway so after little mod she is now a catapult launcher, instant flying speed in one second. Just like on the carriers.

Nose gear converted to catapult system with the skid/hook.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

I just finished a LDS E-Turbinaror with a Hobbyking 1600kv Mercury All alloy fan. It takes off from grass in about 100
foot. It weights 8 pounds. I am using 5,000 Mah 6 cell. I haven't had a chance to radar it, it I would guess around 90 mph.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:00 AM
Joseph Frost

My good decade old work horse, running on 6S/5Ah, taking off the sand or grass.
(90mm EDF Hawk on windy morn)
(Large 90mm EDF jet down wind sling shot)

Any surface.

Down wind TO.